List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On AFL draft central, they speculate that on draft night, Hawthorn is planning to trade pick 11 and our future first round pick to Sydney for pick 5 in order to draft McAsey before Adelaide. Big call if true.
Careful not to shoot the messenger!!

Maybe, maybe this play to get Green & $ydney's 2019 3rd - sure, that could be a thing - but... GilWS would match & other than Anderson + Rowell (who are pretty much unattainable to us), I don't think there's anyone else in this draft worth that price.

Just because it says its a play for pick 5, it doesn't mean that it's for pick 5 only, it might also be a second round pick that then gets us another top 30 pick or enough points to then allow us to match any bid that comes for Finn.....

Either way, it's a rumour and nothing more, and even if true, its part of the bigger picture which we don't know a clue about, so worrying about it in isolation is a little silly.

Everyone clamouring for Mcasey and discounting Kemp, Robertson, Day, etc.

It's like no one learnt from 2004 when they were really pissed we didn't take Tambling and ended up with Rough and Franklin.

The club has been tracking these kids for 3-4 years, they know them much better than a couple of keyboard warriors who go off mock drafts.

Sit back, enjoy the 2 nights of the draft and assess the kids we select after the event.
I can understand hawk fans being a bit nervous we seem to be very good at picking gems late in the draft but over the years when we’ve had high end picks apart from the obvious ( Rough , Hodge , Buddy etc ) we’ ve made a hash of it over the years too I would say we’ve had more failures in the top 25 than we’ve had successes actually, think Lovell, Dowler , Thorpe , Brennan , Harry Miller .

I can understand hawk fans being a bit nervous we seem to be very good at picking gems late in the draft but over the years when we’ve had high end picks apart from the obvious ( Rough , Hodge , Buddy etc ) we’ ve made a hash of it over the years too I would say we’ve had more failures in the top 25 than we’ve had successes actually, think Lovell, Dowler , Thorpe , Brennan , Harry Miller .
we've had a bucketload of misses in late picks too. Every club has. It's why we don't value the draft as its a lottery really.

You can pick a talented kid, but if he has attitude problems, it just won't work (Lovell).

My earlier post is about making statements on kids that posters probably have never actually seen play before! The club has been watching for 4 years or so.

Just wait for the draft and then we can research the kid, watch tape, track them through pre-season and listen to the coaches.

I had heard (all blurs this time of year as to where) that Gold Coast were heavily into Day at 15...wonder if Hawks think they could hold out and pull Kemp at 15 and trade 11 for 15 and 20 adding something later to sweeten. Think they will have their ears open though since Port and Geelong are both keen on McAsey or Worrell, if McAsey is off the board early they might be able to convince one to move up and get the second pick in to make sure they get Worrell too. Would come back to hoping they get one of their guys at the pick they get in though

What have i missed with above article. How can GWS have two top picks?
it would be Swans bidding on Green at 5 and GWS matching the bid with later picks and going into deficit. Its why they had to trade up to get 4, if Dees bid they wont have two picks though, will either let Dees have him or match, costing them pick 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all guess work obviously, but you'd be filthy if a club didn't keep GWS accountable for Green far earlier than Twomey has it mocked at the moment. Sydney should (and I believe will) bid on Green at their first pick just to keep GWS honest, as they'll obviously match).

The reality is that at this time of the year, the Hawks are a vault. Twomey, Balmer, etc have all stated that they seek out other clubs opinions on what they think they Hawks will do because they don't get information out of the Hawks themselves. I wouldn't read too much into who they link us with as I've no doubt our order is different to what they think it is.

no he didn't

He did. The top 10 are typically foregone conclusions, particularly last year as so much was spoken about it. After that he got the majority wrong.

This year is a lot less clean cut outside of the two main guys.

It's all guess work obviously, but you'd be filthy if a club didn't keep GWS accountable for Green far earlier than Twomey has it mocked at the moment. Sydney should (and I believe will) bid on Green at their first pick just to keep GWS honest, as they'll obviously match).

The reality is that at this time of the year, the Hawks are a vault. Twomey, Balmer, etc have all stated that they seek out other clubs opinions on what they think they Hawks will do because they don't get information out of the Hawks themselves. I wouldn't read too much into who they link us with as I've no doubt our order is different to what they think it is.
They try and go off who we've interviewed.

Problem for them is the club do so much DD that we interview practically everyone

He did. The top 10 are typically foregone conclusions, particularly last year as so much was spoken about it. After that he got the majority wrong.

This year is a lot less clean cut outside of the two main guys.
His top 20 are pretty damn good, especially since it doesn't take live trading in. Top 10s are not foregone conclusions as the other mock drafts don't even get close to Twomey.

This year's top 10 seems to be as open as there has been in a long time.

I'd think we'd be looking at a tall option with Pick 11 knowing we'll snag Finn later.

If we're trying to get another 1st rounder in, i'd think that pick would go to another mid, probably with a bit of speed
Kemp
Sharp
Finn

Done!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back