List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be a lot of worry on this thread about what these so called mock draft experts are saying. It only takes an early surprise to have a domino effect and all the predictions are wrong. All we need is for 1 or 2 of our choices to make it through to us and we’ll be right. I’ll back our guys in to hit a home run or 2 and really at the end of the day we have no choice.

Last edited:
can someone tell me what happened to our late picks in the 70's, 80's and 90's? do we tell them how many we are taking and then forfeit those late picks outside of that???

We have committed two picks to upgrading Nash & Hanrahan. I believe those picks (was it ~Pick 88 and 90?) aren't included because we have already committed them for upgrades. We currently have Pick 11, Pick 42, Pick 50, Pick 54, Pick 63, Pick 69. These picks listed above are the ones we can still take players with.

As someone whom is a keen and passionate Hawks supporter but does not have a degree in mathematics or indeed how the hell the draft works, can you please let me know the percentage chances that we will be able to use our first round pick on best available and then pick up Finn.
I cant work out why we traded out an earlier pick for later picks (i know plus next year) if that puts Finn at risk
Any help much appreciated

As someone whom is a keen and passionate Hawks supporter but does not have a degree in mathematics or indeed how the hell the draft works, can you please let me know the percentage chances that we will be able to use our first round pick on best available and then pick up Finn.
I cant work out why we traded out an earlier pick for later picks (i know plus next year) if that puts Finn at risk
Any help much appreciated
If you just roll back through this thread the answer to your question has been answered many, many, many times.

Time short. Wouldnt have one more time been as short as your answer?
If someone selects Finn we have to use our next picks/points to match so more beneficial to trade 30 and get our 2nd 2020 back, therefore allowing us to trade our 2020 1st for a 2019 1st on the night - potentially walking away with two top 20 picks and Finn if the cards fall as they should.

A medium sized halfback that plays a similar role to Stratton with Pick 11 when Kemp & Robertson are still available ...

I’m starting to believe the conspiracy theory that there is an agenda against Hawthorn and a desire to see us massively reach with Pick 11. And if it’s true then wow.

That being said Twomey also has a bid on Maginness coming at 26 which is a massive favour. I could see us trading into the early 20s with our future first to get another selection.

Kemp, Taylor, Maginness + a late Pick would be a great draft haul. Day, Taylor, Maginness is still good (I don’t think Day is a bad player) but not fantastic given what other options were available.
C'mon mate. You couldn't possibly suspect that Hawthorns list management team are influenced by the HUNs phantom draft team do you?

I love the way we all go round in circles on this thread for a few weeks, beating oursleves up, and fall in love with the prospects that the jungle drums say we’re interested in - Kemp, Henry, McAsey, Sharp, whoever.

Then suddenly out of left field a new name is put out in a phantom draft.
Will Day.
WHAT. OH NO.
Comments like “I’ll be totally distraught if we take him” !!

Jeez. Seriously - what do we know?

Personally I’ve just looked at Day’s highlights package. Bloody brilliant.
Apart from being the grandson of a class act and premiership player - Will Day’s also a class act and as far as I‘m concerned, a potential premiership player (if we draft him).
I’ll take him - if our recruiters like him.

I think Day is on the money with that pick. Couple of mates (recruiters) expect Robertson to be the slider as his kicking/decision making isn't great. They both would find Kemp and Day hard to seperate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the way we all go round in circles on this thread for a few weeks, beating oursleves up, and fall in love with the prospects that the jungle drums say we’re interested in - Kemp, Henry, McAsey, Sharp, whoever.

Will Day.
WHAT. OH NO.

Apart from being the grandson of a class act and premiership player - Will Day’s also a class act and as far as I‘m concerned, a potential premiership player (if we draft him).

If you really want to assess a player properly then definitely don’t look at a highlight package. Reason being is that they don’t show any of their deficiencies in their highlights. What you really want to see is them struggling (tagged) and how they react from that. The other way to properly assess is how they improved over the course of the year and that really can only happen by watching the games.

Being a long time NBA fan the old but did you see his highlight package can sometimes be the worse way to assess. Another thing some people get sucked into is a player that is on a really good team that rides the coattails of others and get made to look better than they are. I guarantee you a couple of kids at either Oakleigh will get drafted because Rowell and Anderson carried them. Maginness had a quiet game when he went up against those 2 guys but you also have to factor in the talent he had around him whereas Rowell and Anderson had a lot more than Finn did.

Will Day.
WHAT. OH NO.

I like Day very much as well but see him being a pick in the 15 to 19 range so getting him with our first would be a slight reach imo. If we could somehow snag a pick in that range and grab him I'd be absolutely delighted.

All these phantom drafts seem to be based on a clubs current perceived needs rather than who's the best player which early on is unlikely to pan out.
Indeed earlier kemp and robertson wouldnt make it to our pick and now they are 15 and 16. Its ring a rosy

If you really want to assess a player properly then definitely don’t look at a highlight package. Reason being is that they don’t show any of their deficiencies in their highlights. What you really want to see is them struggling (tagged) and how they react from that. The other way to properly assess is how they improved over the course of the year and that really can only happen by watching the games.

Being a long time NBA fan the old but did you see his highlight package can sometimes be the worse way to assess. Another thing some people get sucked into is a player that is on a really good team that rides the coattails of others and get made to look better than they are. I guarantee you a couple of kids at either Oakleigh will get drafted because Rowell and Anderson carried them. Maginness had a quiet game when he went up against those 2 guys but you also have to factor in the talent he had around him whereas Rowell and Anderson had a lot more than Finn did.

I agree that the highlights package doesn’t tell anywhere near the whole story and is only the shortcut to showcase a players ability.
But on the other hand, just have a look at Cyril’s highlights package from his games at Scotch College when he was a little squirt playing against older boys, and tell me that wasn‘t a great indicator of a future champion!!

Highlights Cyril Rioli as a junior Scotch College - some recruiters actually did their week to week research and decided he didn’t t have attitude or stamina !

Nbadraft.net make an absolute mockery of how we analyse players, the way they write up their player profiles is unreal.

Agreed with all your post, makes Kemp’s season (before ACL) even more impressive considering he was surrounded with bog average team mates.

I agree that the highlights package doesn’t tell anywhere near the whole story and is only the shortcut to showcase a players ability.
But on the other hand, just have a look at Cyril’s highlights package from his games at Scotch College when he was a little squirt playing against older boys, and tell me that wasn‘t a great indicator of a future champion!!

Highlights Cyril Rioli as a junior Scotch College - some recruiters actually did their week to week research and decided he didn’t t have attitude or stamina !

Not a better player in the game than Cyril at full flight

Yeah but there’s only one Cyril. Anyways I wasn’t knocking your analysis but rather just highlighting (pardon the pun) that highlight packages don’t shine the light on players weaknesses. As long as our scouts don’t fall for all the glitz and glamor of highlight tapes then I’m more than happy for players like Worpel to filter through to us.

Oh and I can’t bring myself to watch Cyril highlights cause they make me too sad 😔

Nbadraft.net make an absolute mockery of how we analyse players, the way they write up their player profiles is unreal.

Agreed with all your post, makes Kemp’s season (before ACL) even more impressive considering he was surrounded with bog average team mates.

Yep nbadraft.net are unreal in that they show both strengths and weaknesses in a highlight package. I also like how they do the star rating for things like defence, offence, 3 point shooting, intangibles etc.

It really gives you a good scope on kids and what they can become especially if you haven’t had the opportunity to watch them play a full game.

Yeah but there’s only one Cyril. Anyways I wasn’t knocking your analysis but rather just highlighting (pardon the pun) that highlight packages don’t shine the light on players weaknesses. As long as our scouts don’t fall for all the glitz and glamor of highlight tapes then I’m more than happy for players like Worpel to filter through to us.

Oh and I can’t bring myself to watch Cyril highlights cause they make me too sad 😔

WelI I think our recruiters fell for the glitz and glamour in Cyril’s case. What were they thinking!!

But as you say, they‘re also the best at snaffling the gem in picks 40s and beyond. No better example than Mitch Lewis.

Yep nbadraft.net are unreal in that they show both strengths and weaknesses in a highlight package. I also like how they do the star rating for things like defence, offence, 3 point shooting, intangibles etc.

It really gives you a good scope on kids and what they can become especially if you haven’t had the opportunity to watch them play a full game.
It's pretty cool stuff. But it comes because the sport is now all about the $ - for players and owners. We are still an amateurish professional sport in so many respects. However, I like it that way. The things that AFL HQ are doing to make us more "professional" and more about the $ (e.g. stacking the startup teams, fixing the fixtures, etc.) are not worth the trade-offs in my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back