List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitchell was out of contract and the club he was going to didn't have a high pick. Paps isn't out of contract and the club he's hypothetically (but isn't) going to does have top picks.

#equalisation

Yeah, heard that before yet O'Meara was out of contract also, hadn't being playing footy but the Suns we're better compensated than us.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Papley rumours is just wishful thinking from fans. We can't afford to let him go, **** the draft.

Yeah, heard that before yet O'Meara was out of contract also, hadn't being playing footy but the Suns we're better compensated than us.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Papley rumours is just wishful thinking from fans. We can't afford to let him go, **** the draft.
Can't help but think there was something more at play. Maybe goodwill for JPK and McVeigh?

We sure as hell didn't let ROK go to the Hawks easily like we could have, so can't help but feel there's something more to it than us simply folding at the trade table.

The biggest mistake we made was trading day 1- we should have waited he was worth more than a late first. Even if we got a first and a second better than what we did

Can't use Mitchell as a guide as the Swans got beaten to a bloody pulp in that deal.

Well agree we certainly did, and i don't know why we shouldn't since imo it typifies our attitude in that area
I mean the Crows got a better deal for Charlie Cameron than we got for Mitch (yes Cameron was contracted)
not suprised when i've seen some melbourne team supporters suggesting they could get Papley for a swap of their first pick for our 2nd. wack, but i can understand the optimism. but to read the same in this threads disappointing. we are already one of the younger teams in the league with more experience to go at end of season, yet our as you point out in the running for All Ausour best small forward since Schneider and some are happy to move him on for some random teenager? weird.

Schneider and Dempster approx 350 games for Brett Meredith (2? 3? games) because we'd mismanaged our cap.
Membrey given away for nothing.
Carlton get pick 32 for bloody shaun hampson. we managed to get pick 32 for everitt AND pick 39.
we developed Biggs from an overlooked mature ager into a dependable premiership player. effectively gave him away for zero.
Nankervis. Got **** all for Mumford, drafted Nankervis, got **** all for Nankervis (premiership player), merry go ruck to continue with Cameron given away for nothing?
even Sam Murray. Hanners.

A little too early to be locks, but both are rated as being 1st rounders with Gulden considered at this stage a potential top 10.

Both have been consistently in our U18 academy’s team bests as under age’rs this this year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not even playing NEAFL, how do they properly assess the ability of these kids?

Well agree we certainly did, and i don't know why we shouldn't since imo it typifies our attitude in that area
I mean the Crows got a better deal for Charlie Cameron than we got for Mitch (yes Cameron was contracted)
not suprised when i've seen some melbourne team supporters suggesting they could get Papley for a swap of their first pick for our 2nd. wack, but i can understand the optimism. but to read the same in this threads disappointing. we are already one of the younger teams in the league with more experience to go at end of season, yet our as you point out in the running for All Ausour best small forward since Schneider and some are happy to move him on for some random teenager? weird.

Schneider and Dempster approx 350 games for Brett Meredith (2? 3? games) because we'd mismanaged our cap.
Membrey given away for nothing.
Carlton get pick 32 for bloody shaun hampson. we managed to get pick 32 for everitt AND pick 39.
we developed Biggs from an overlooked mature ager into a dependable premiership player. effectively gave him away for zero.
Nankervis. Got **** all for Mumford, drafted Nankervis, got **** all for Nankervis (premiership player), merry go ruck to continue with Cameron given away for nothing?
even Sam Murray. Hanners.
Schneider and Dempster were traded for pick 26, which we used on Brett Meredith, from memory that trade had nothing to do with salary cap, it also meant we were then able to trade pick 28 for Marty Mattner.

Biggs, Membrey, Everitt and Nankervis all fall into the same bracket of fringe players (at the time of trading) who were out of contract and offered better deals elsewhere. lose them for free to pre season draft or take what you can get unfortunately.

Kennedy and McGlynn came to us under similar circumstances, it's just the way it works if the player is out of contract, the recruiting club holds the cards.

btw Darcy Cameron has played 1 game in 3 seasons, what should we expect in a trade?

Sam Murray? we got a good deal there considering hed never played a game for us.

Schneider and Dempster were traded for pick 26, which we used on Brett Meredith, from memory that trade had nothing to do with salary cap, it also meant we were then able to trade pick 28 for Marty Mattner.

Biggs, Membrey, Everitt and Nankervis all fall into the same bracket of fringe players (at the time of trading) who were out of contract and offered better deals elsewhere. lose them for free to pre season draft or take what you can get unfortunately.

Kennedy and McGlynn came to us under similar circumstances, it's just the way it works if the player is out of contract, the recruiting club holds the cards.

btw Darcy Cameron has played 1 game in 3 seasons, what should we expect in a trade?

Sam Murray? we got a good deal there considering hed never played a game for us.

Little bit wrong on Membrey. Membrey was offered a contract and would have stayed but the decision was made when Goodes decided not to retire. He felt he couldn’t handle another year in the 2’s (and why would you want to play NEAFL?). The kid then chose to leave...right decision.

Sam Murray...bullet dodged!

I had a chat to Everitt once. I mentioned i was disappointed he left and he told me he had no choice really. Exact words were "they couldnt afford to pay anyone, i was only offered the minimum contract and Sydney's too expensive to live in" we could have kept him but he chose a better contract with another club in a cheaper city.

Pick 12s this decade:
2018: Zak Butters
2017: Darcy Fogarty
2016: Jy Simpkin
2015: Charlie Curnow
2014: Corey Ellis
2013: Ben Lennon
2012: Kristian Jaksch
2011: Sam Docherty
2010: Lucas Cook

Papley is almost in All-Australian form, I'd be mortified if we traded him for Ben Lennon or Lucas Cook. Realistically you'd trade him for 2/9 players on that list. Maybe even 1/9 when you consider Docherty's knee problems.

Trading pick 12 for Papley would be taking a huge chance with statistically little chance of it paying off. With a year left on his contract and him being a heart and soul player, I'd much rather just keep him, thanks.
Agreed.
Trade Pappley and we may as well trade out our jumpers.

Paps personifies the bloods culture and we need more of that, not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a chat to Everitt once. I mentioned i was disappointed he left and he told me he had no choice really. Exact words were "they couldnt afford to pay anyone, i was only offered the minimum contract and Sydney's too expensive to live in" we could have kept him but he chose a better contract with another club in a cheaper city.
Any player who is best 22 and we only offer them a minimum contract is just poor work from us.

Little bit wrong on Membrey. Membrey was offered a contract and would have stayed but the decision was made when Goodes decided not to retire. He felt he couldn’t handle another year in the 2’s (and why would you want to play NEAFL?). The kid then chose to leave...right decision.

Sam Murray...bullet dodged!
The point was you cant expect much in a trade for a player out of contract who at the time had 1 game to his name.

Any player who is best 22 and we only offer them a minimum contract is just poor work from us.
Was he best 22? He wasn't in the 2012 premiership team, he played a lot more in 2013 when tippett, goodes and Reid all missed half a season, but could you see him getting a game in the 2014 side once Franklin arrived.

Reading the article on sydneyswans.com I’d be surprised if Papley left. Seems to bleed red and white.

I’m more confident in keeping him than I was with a certain father/son brat that I won’t talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading the article on sydneyswans.com I’d be surprised if Papley left. Seems to bleed red and white.

I’m more confident in keeping him than I was with a certain father/son brat that I won’t talk about.

We can all agree that father/sons that leave their fathers' clubs are the worst

Nick Davis, Josh Kennedy, Rhyce Shaw, Mitch Morton etc

Not even playing NEAFL, how do they properly assess the ability of these kids?

They are compared and assessed just like all other under 18 kids through the new NAB Cup U18 and the state championships.

Has nothing to do with senior football and the NEAFL.

All clubs and recruiters would already have an idea of the top 50 players for the 2020 draft.

We can all agree that father/sons that leave their fathers' clubs are the worst

Nick Davis, Josh Kennedy, Rhyce Shaw, Mitch Morton etc

Point flew over your head in your attempt to win an argument no one was having with you.

Usual fare.

They are compared and assessed just like all other under 18 kids through the new NAB Cup U18 and the state championships.

Has nothing to do with senior football and the NEAFL.

All clubs and recruiters would already have an idea of the top 50 players for the 2020 draft.

Pretty sure Blakey, Mills and Heeney played NEAFL and quite considerably. Haven’t seen the two you’re talking about which is why I asked the question.

I’m fairly sure I’ve posted my awareness of recruiters tracking kids from a young age...you’re telling me nothing there, actually you haven’t really answered my question at all. Thanks for the response though, it is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back