Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

The recent report I read from SEN and Fox said the nuts of the deal was
10, 2020 2nd, 58, Acres > BHill
With a swap of future draft picks. St Kilda have two fourth round picks and no third round pick. So makes sense we swap a third and fourth.

I think for Aish might not be popular but will likely cost one of the 2020 2nd picks but I’d be expecting us to at least upgrade 58 to 56 and 79 to 69. Not sure that 58 will get Aish.

I’d flip pick 83 to Richmond for Menadue. But if desperately needed they can have St Kilda’s 2020 4th or we just pick him up as a DFA.

Leaves us with:
7,10,22,56,69 in 2019
1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th in 2020
If we end up the 7,10 , 22,56,69 plus Acres and Aish , then we draft say Robertson , Sharp , Henry ....that fairly well fills our available list spots ?

Was hoping for Taylor or some other x-factor type as well

Would love to take this opportunity to get four local boys if at all possible..will be interesting to see what direction Bell takes

Ok cool, yeah so there is an NGA then. Yeah so the rumour doesn't make much sense. Pick 7, plus basically a bid/NGA 13, is clearly a better option than pick 12 and a bid/NGA 13

It isn't entirely clear. Pick 12 + 18 could be better than Pick 7 if we knew for sure where the Henry bid would come and whether our 7/10 targets would still be there for 10/12. With the pick swap, we could theoretically get an extra WA kid on top of our preferred options for 7/10/22.

List space is another issue. We have removed 7 from the main list (delisting/trades/retirements). Depending on how many of these depth players we add (Aish, Acres, Menadue), it might restrict how many we take in the draft.

AFL Trades 2019: Blake Acres flies in for Fremantle Dockers medical to unlock Bradley Hill trade to St Kilda
Nathan Schmook and Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Tuesday, 15 October 2019 1:25PM

Blake Acres could head to Fremantle as part of the Brad Hill deal.
Blake Acres could head to Fremantle as part of the Brad Hill deal. Credit: via AFL Photos

St Kilda midfielder Blake Acres has flown to Perth to undergo a medical check with Fremantle and could join the club tomorrow as part of the Bradley Hill trade.
Acres shapes as the final piece of the puzzle to get Hill to the Saints if his medical check is ticked off by the Dockers.
If cleared, it is understood Acres will packaged with St Kilda’s pick 10 and a future second-round pick in exchange for Hill with the likelihood later selections are also swapped.
The Dockers could also receive pick 58 out of the deal once that selection makes its way to the Saints via Gold Coast and Geelong in deals involving ruckman Zac Smith and midfielder Jack Steven.
Negotiations between the Dockers and Saints continued in Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon but ended with both clubs in broad agreement on the Hill trade.
Sources involved in the negotiations were certain the trade would be completed on Wednesday.
“It feels like we’re inching closer,” St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said on Trade Radio.
“It’s been reported that Fremantle have indicated some level of interest in him (Acres).
“We’re pretty open-minded, as are Fremantle, with what it’ll take and what it’ll need to look like to get it done.”
Acres, who is contracted at St Kilda until the end of next season, has played 75 games for the Saints since being drafted with pick 19 in the 2013 draft.
The 193cm West Perth product would give the Dockers another big-bodied midfielder, with Acres also able to push forward and provide a marking presence.

Bringing I’m up to 3 players on top of our minimum 3 draft picks spells trouble for North...

I think the writing has been on the wall for him for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we asked for 2 firsts and settled for pick 10 and bunches of turd wrapped in a bundle I’ll be peeved.

Ordinarily pick 10 on its own is ok for Brad Hill, so I’m sure once the dust settles I’ll be fine. But if a guy has 2 years left, considered one of the best for his position. We make demands and fall short of that? Yeah not sure.

I never believed pick 6 and future 2nd was offered but if I was Bell I’d have made it absolutely 100% clear that pick 6 or your future 1st is an absolute must in the deal. We got neither. Feels like we just allowed Saints to dictate terms because they had other deals.

Don’t get me wrong. We got a great deal for Hill, but not a bent them over deal which is what it should’ve been.

Acres better bring it.

Bringing I’m up to 3 players on top of our minimum 3 draft picks spells trouble for North...

Every year there’s one or two delisted after trade period. Every year I’m told we could’ve delisted them earlier if we wanted to. Why are they out of contract then?

I think we’ll take one more pick on what we consider as ‘good’ picks if we can. The last pick will act as either protection for a Butters bid or as a spot for a mature aged player we rate highly. I just don’t see how North can still fit in. Unless he’s re-drafted as a rookie I can’t see him staying on our list.

I’m not convinced Pick 58 will still be with us this time tomorrow assuming the Saints give us that pick.

Disagree. If he was highly talented, he wouldn't be steak knives in this supposed trade. (not a shot at you) I'm sure most of this board will do a backflip and start talking about his potential and how he'll flourish being back home, but reality is he's just an ok player. If we actually rated him, we'd involve him in any trade from Day 1.

Inclined to agree.

I have to admit I've not been a close watcher, but his most recent stats suggest he rarely finds a heap of the ball, and from what I can gather, the quality of his disposal doesn't make up for having regular sub 20 possession games.

There is obviously scope for development and improvement, and he may have been played out of position at St Kilda, but I'm wary of our recent propensity to add in fringe players hoping that we'll strike gold.

Its speculative, and you are giving up an A grader.
Freo are going nowhere if their better players leave every year.

Sure we've lost Neale and probably Hill, but in the scheme of things all clubs have quality players leave. Thankfully we're not like Adelaide at the moment who seem to be an anti-destination club, and also GWS have lost many many more quality players than us over the last few years but still remained competitive. Freo are doing very well for player retention in comparison despite the last few years in the bottom 8, and we've brought proven quality players in like Lobb, Wilson, Hogan (hopefully can stay on the park). Weller leaving gave us Brayshaw who has already proven a better player IMO despite being 4 years younger.

Inclined to agree.

I have to admit I've not been a close watcher, but his most recent stats suggest he rarely finds a heap of the ball, and from what I can gather, the quality of his disposal doesn't make up for having regular sub 20 possession games.

There is obviously scope for development and improvement, and he may have been played out of position at St Kilda, but I'm wary of our recent propensity to add in fringe players hoping that we'll strike gold.

He was playing out of position all season, including backup ruck to Marshall. Wouldn’t be worried about his 2019 numbers, his injuries are a concern but he has talent.

Well it looks like it's all coming to a head tomorrow.

If the reported deal of 10, 58 and 2020 2nd round pick eventuates I know that there will be a heap of St Kilda trolling, but honestly I feel like that is a good result for you guys.

Prior to the trade period starting I thought it would be 6 for Hill and a second or we'd split 6 and give you 12 for him straight. Most saints fans did too, with pick 6 straight being the worst possible outcome. It is funny that so many seem to be acting like we've achieved some incredible deal.

The Acres thing is weird, seems like the deal is done regardless of how his medical goes. Seems like it may have been his request knowing he'll fall behind Hill and Jones (even though I rate Acres > Jones).

If you guys do land Acres he has the potential to really become a player for you guys. I hope he gets given a single position and a solid run at making the spot his own. I think having Fyfe and Mundy around him are great models for how he should develop his game and use his frame.

He was playing out of position all season, including backup ruck to Marshall. Wouldn’t be worried about his 2019 numbers, his injuries are a concern but he has talent.

Playing deep forward and back up ruck when he should have been playing inside mid, or on the wing at worst.

The bloke was set up to fail from day one. In his earlier seasons he was the first dropped after a subpar performance whilst guys like Weller and Newnes got automatically selected and it really destroyed his confidence.

I think that there are several other clubs that would have turned him into an A Grader for sure by now.

Well it looks like it's all coming to a head tomorrow.

If the reported deal of 10, 58 and 2020 2nd round pick eventuates I know that there will be a heap of St Kilda trolling, but honestly I feel like that is a good result for you guys.

Prior to the trade period starting I thought it would be 6 for Hill and a second or we'd split 6 and give you 12 for him straight. Most saints fans did too, with pick 6 straight being the worst possible outcome. It is funny that so many seem to be acting like we've achieved some incredible deal.

The Acres thing is weird, seems like the deal is done regardless of how his medical goes. Seems like it may have been his request knowing he'll fall behind Hill and Jones (even though I rate Acres > Jones).

If you guys do land Acres he has the potential to really become a player for you guys. I hope he gets given a single position and a solid run at making the spot his own. I think having Fyfe and Mundy around him are great models for how he should develop his game and use his frame.
Yeah the deal will go ahead even if he decides not to come to us. I assume the late pick swaps people have been talking about will happen if he decides to play for us. He will play midfield/forward most likely.

Let's ship off one of our best players and replace him with a borderline B22 player from St Kilda of all places and some draftees.

Gotta be happy with that result <insert biggest sarcasm emoji ever>

We've replaced 2 power pillars in Lyon and Rosich with a single power in Bell. I hope my negativity is going to be egg on my face but the last 6 months have been horrid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back