2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real meaning might be that we're looking to draft someone who isnt a clear number three. I.e. we'll get our guy anyway.

I actually think that's why we won't get practical value from the pick trade though. There's a real likelihood that we'll end up taking someone that would have been available later anyway. And in which case...
A tasmanian basketball special.

Ablett and Taylor sign on for one more year at Geelong

And I thought our list decisions were weird

Their age profile must be out of sight
This is from one of their current threads - don't think they expected Ablett to re-sign :grin:

landgraft-post-59620767b-jpg.758180

ed. and Taylor.

Last edited:

Ablett is cooked. He is staying on in the hope of another title shot and the Tim Kelly decision.

Geelong imo will be like the Crows 2018. They wont know what hit them but its coming.

Taylor actually wound the clock back in his finals, but next year I expect to see the both of these Weekend-at-Bernie’s style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I hear correctly that Richmond will get an end of round 1 compensation pick for Ellis?
F*** me.

When the AFL applies the special "VFL formula -Victorian Fairytale" to determine compensation, Tigers arguably will get close to getting an end of R1 pick.

wowee the Tim Kelly thread on the draft & trade board is one of the most vitriolic bigfooty threads I've come across

Its ugly. Geelong is an awful Club with the way they have held onto Kelly and treated him.

Kelly's character speaks volumes where for the majority of the year he was in Brownlow contention with his performance on field.

Did I hear correctly that Richmond will get an end of round 1 compensation pick for Ellis?
F*** me.
It's horse crap, but based on contractual size ($ and length) and age, I can see it being any lower.

Another example of blatant inequality in free agency. GCS have to pay way over to get anyone there, ensuring OTT compensation for Vic clubs.

Vic clubs can be essentially take GCS players for very little as they are desperate to leave (if they stay until FA) and the relative compensation would be less.

Richmond get Lynch and 19 for Ellis and 3. Probably a fair trade, but based on luck and ladder position more than anything.

Taylor actually wound the clock back in his finals, but next year I expect to see the both of these Weekend-at-Bernie’s style.
I'm not sure Harry averaged 14 disposals per game for most of the year.

I agree next year could be worse

It's horse crap, but based on contractual size ($ and length) and age, I can see it being any lower.

Another example of blatant inequality in free agency. GCS have to pay way over to get anyone there, ensuring OTT compensation for Vic clubs.

Vic clubs can be essentially take GCS players for very little as they are desperate to leave (if they stay until FA) and the relative compensation would be less.

Richmond get Lynch and 19 for Ellis and 3. Probably a fair trade, but based on luck and ladder position more than anything.

The problem with your equation is that it implies Richmond paid #3 for Lynch, which ofcourse, they didn't -

in a way, FA compo means every other teams pays for a FA move in the draft, except the buying club

Ok, here is our list side by side to Cats with our current reported outs and assuming we draft 9 18yo's ...

afc-gee-list-age-profile-jpg.758352
Is that senior & rookie lists, or just senior?

At present it appears likely that we'll have 8x senior list players departing (Douglas, Otten, Jacobs, Betts, JJ, Keath, Greenwood, Knight), with Frampton coming in and Murphy likely to be upgraded. CEY & Hunter are on the rookie list, as will be their replacements.

By my maths we're looking at 6x 18yo draftees, assuming we retain the 38/6 playing list, pending the outcome of trade week.

So

Will Heppell cop what Tex and the AFC did over Lever ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back