List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would they go for a 33yr old Eddie Betts though?

Publicity and they don't have any small forwards. I think he still scored around 40 goals this year as well.

All I know about Isaac Smith is that he's 30 and he's that fella that was embarrassed after he missed while being too casual kicking a clutch goal a few years ago.

Why would we want him? What type of player is he?

Tall goal kicking wing man. He is a very good player still but we really don't want to start filling the list with players at the end of their career. We aren't Isaak Smith off a premiership and he's not a position we are short in. Gubby seemed to grab at anything that moved last year as well. I hope we tell him to calm down a bit. It's starting to get ridiculous. We won't have pick in next years draft at this rate.

37 goals, but 12 were against Gold Coast.
Had 10 games with 1 or less goals.

I don't think our whole side would have kicked 12 against the GC. Possibly in both games combined though.

All I know about Isaac Smith is that he's 30 and he's that fella that was embarrassed after he missed while being too casual kicking a clutch goal a few years ago.

Why would we want him? What type of player is he?
Honestly all you remember him by is that kick? I had totally forgotten about that.

If he wasn't 30 he'd be the type of player we'd love. Good runner, nice kick.

Don't see tthe point at his age though.

Honestly all you remember him by is that kick? I had totally forgotten about that.

Yeah. It's more I don't know anything about Hawthorn these days, never watch them.

I couldn't even tell you who their best players are now.

I agree but that's the defining moment of his career for me too. Probably like the Milney bounce.

Yeah. It's more I don't know anything about Hawthorn these days, never watch them.

I couldn't even tell you who their best players are now.

Their best player has a busted leg.

If we are getting Hill and have Billings, why would be want Smith?

Because he would further improve our list. Would give us a serious shot at finals, if we brought in all of Jones, Hill, and Smith, in addition to Hind, Clark, Parker and Gresham, it would beg the question, "Pace and run problem? What pace and run problem? Midfield transformed in a couple of easy steps.

Clearly issues all over the ground, the club is going hard on young key forward stocks with the aim of getting an elite one.

If we can turn an average key forward into another quality mid we should all be happy, the often repeated suggestion that Bruce will kick twice as many goals with better delivery is pure fantasy... like the other one about him being vital to our transition from defence - he takes 4 marks per game.

I’m tipping our average score next year will not be less than our 70-odd from the past 2 years, regardless if Bruce is playing or not.
Everyone has a view - Gringo's view is always appreciated - because it dampens the overly positive views held by some , but just bringing in Brad Hill and having Carlisle , Webster , Hannabery fit and continued improvement in Battle , Wilkie , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Paton , Parker , Hind , Langlands and having Bytel , Max King ready to play we are already have far greater scope than what we did this year.

Carlisle played the year out after not really having a preseason and having a major back operation and really it just proved how tough a competitor he is , so having him fit from the start of the season we will be in great shape(people have forgot how good he is when right) allowing Battle to be moved where ever the team needs him to play / and Battle is developing into top line player who only really played his first full year at 21yrs of age and only has played 26 games , the sky's the limit.

Not having a fit Webster this year also hurt so hopefully he can get back on the park and with Wilkie being another surprise this year our backline is one area we don't need to worry to much about with having Hunter Clark , Coffield and Paton will give us options when running the ball out of defense.

The 2 area's we need to fix are the midfield and the forward line and hopefully we fix.

The forward line with having a fit Max King , Membery and the addition of Battle if Bruce is moved , will give us far more option's just having 3 targets instead of 2.

Also the knockers talking about relying on a inexperienced Battle playing as a forward , we have to remember he would of been playing there this year if we had a fit Carlisle. - and I 'll tell you this I'd rather Battle than a Tex Walker in our forward line.
Then add a fit Max King into the equation and it will really add a x-factor and the future potential to be a truly potent force for years to come.
So our forward line looks to be heading in the right direction with Billings and Hill feeding the ball into the forward 50.

Now the midfield has been a headache - we luckily found a star Ruckman in Marshall , however our mids just don't hurt the opposition , Marshall does , Steele is effective in negating there best player but we don't have the midfield winner that damages the other team.

Having a fit Hannebery who looks to be right to go next year after battling all year to get right , looks to have benefited from the less work load given this year so I fully expect a big year next year .
We also have Ross who is also a ball winner and no matter what anyone say's he is a very good player but not the match winner.
Our improvement will come down to improvement in Gresham , Hunter Clark and a fit Hannebery and hopefully a young Bytel getting some game time and Zac Jones giving us some line breaking speed with Billings and Hill on the wings.

I don't want to condemn Dunstan but we need something to change and though he does a job he has to improve - you can't just be doing his job when the opposition mids are cutting us to pieces with there better ball use , but this is where Gresham , Hunter Clark , Hannebery and in future Bytel and do the job.

I don't know how our trade period will go but we have a far greater squad we have had for many years and at the moment it looks we are making the right moves on and off the ground and I totally expect the team will shock in 2020 with Ratten bringing a new hunger to the club that hasn't been there for years.

Mate you are doing it wrong. According to this board it is ALWAYS ALWAYS about the midfield.

The reason we have been bottom 2-4 for points conceded for the past 5 years (1961, 2082, 1986, 2041, 2162) and have barely improved across that time is always the midfields fault.

The reason we are in the bottom few for scores converted per inside 50's every year is also always the midfields fault.

The answer is always that we just fix the midfield everything will be magically better.

Seriously, everytime someone criticises Brown for being an outdated player, or Geary / McKenzie / Savage for not being able to hit the side of a barn door, the conversation always turns to "our backline is actually really good and once we fix the midfield it will be fine." Our backline has actually been consistently very poor for 5 years straight but somehow escapes scrutiny! Similarly, Bruce / Kent / Long can go games on end without kicking a goal, but "once we fix the midfield it will be fine."

This board has become almost cult like in focusing on drafting / trading to build the midfield, and consistently excusing the obvious shortcomings in our backline / forwardline as being the fault of the mids.

Maybe the fact that we drafted King last year, traded for Austin, are floating Bruce / Carlisle to gauge their value, are sniffing around players like Keath / Tomlinson, tells you that at least the club recognises that the problem might not entirely be the midfield!

Thank goodness someone has finally said it. Bravo, Animal Enclosure. Whilst crucial, the midfield is far from our only area with room for improvement. We have plenty of talent. Time to develop and use it properly. Another gun midfielder never hurts.

Smith and Hill are premiership guns. Jones has plenty of potential. He has pace
and run. Plenty of campaigner in him. Me likey. Land those three and the midfield is transformed.

While I'm at it, land Ryder and someone like Ovetti. Ruck division becomes a strength with Roma leading the charge.

Land Keath, get Austin and Clavarino fit. Robbo returns. Options in defence galore.

Winx comes in. Battle forward. Members, Parker, Hanners, Lonie, Gresh, Billings, Hind. Where will our goals come from?

Ask Khan, as in Rath of. Only the best strategist in the game who has the IP from ALL 18 clubs.

Oh Satan! You've done it again!
Saints bigfooty board.
"Our midfield is shit!"
Satan Lethlean. "Hold my beer!"

I agree but that's the defining moment of his career for me too. Probably like the Milney bounce.
Bit harsh on Milney to say that the Defining moment of his whole
Career was that bounce!

When i think of the little master it's all the goals he kicked ( some freakishly )
Over his career, rather than think of that cruel evil ball that wouldn't bounce properly!

Now if you were to say the defining moment for the f#cking ball was the 2010 GF
Then i would happily agree! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing to factor in is that the draft is ridiculously even from pick 5 to 12.

If we were to trade 5 and Bruce out and get Hill and 12 in we could still end up snagging a Robertson, Weightman or a Stephens at 12

robertson won't get past 5 if we trade it to freo

#leadership

i look at it in the same way as brissie did with hodge, yes i know isaac is not as good as hodge in terms of leadership, but he is a leader nonetheless.

he's an outside type too so there's no reason why he couldn't play for another 2-3 years

our list desperately needs leadership to instil the right attitudes into those < 25 who i consider to be the generation that will give us a crack at a flag

#leadership

i look at it in the same way as brissie did with hodge, yes i know isaac is not as good as hodge in terms of leadership, but he is a leader nonetheless.

he's an outside type too so there's no reason why he couldn't play for another 2-3 years

our list desperately needs leadership to instil the right attitudes into those < 25 who i consider to be the generation that will give us a crack at a flag
Yeah I think there has been so much talk about finding another Luke Hodge for all the struggling teams, but they are forgetting one thing. There is only one Luke Hodge.

He might add a little to our leadership but it's not going to make a massive difference I wouldn't think. Not for what we'd have to give up to get him.

Luke Hodge was almost an assistant coach on the field. I've never really hear anyone speak about Smith's leadership's skills.

now he is exactly what we need, more so than Hill IMO

Hill is 26 yrs 2 m. Smith is 30 yrs 8 m

For a club rebuilding Hill is a much better option.

Smith is a class player no doubt, but will be fading and most likely gone before we could be a Top 4 team again.

Then again with the club chasing some 28, 30 and 31 year olds maybe they think that they can be a contender next year. I am not sure this is wise. It may make us more competitive in 2020, but lest competitive in 2022 on.

Agree Smith is a gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith is a class player no doubt, but will be fading and most likely gone before we could be a Top 4 team again.

Then again with the club chasing some 28, 30 and 31 year olds maybe they think that they can be a contender next year. I am not sure this is wise. It may make us more competitive in 2020, but lest competitive in 2022 on.

I think they are just looking to get quality players teaching and setting examples for our younger players. Training standards, leadership etc things that McEvoy, Dal Santo and Goddard would have brought to the club when we were struggling.

hill as great as he is, hasn't had much impact at freo. he's outside connect player. like don't get me wrong, he's a very good pick up.

but for us to play finals hill is not going to have a lot of impact on that. he will help no doubt. but i think in terms of impact he will be pretty far down the list on what's important for us to get there.

we really need to engine to get better. to do that we need the standard to lift. hill is not a leader, he has his own issues with application.

someone like smith could have an incredible impact on the like of billings, hunter, coffield, sinclair, steele, gresham who i consider to be part of the future midfield of the club.

when you look at experience we have at the club, alot of it is down back or up forward. there's not a lot available in the midfield. all we have is hanners really. we don't have a leader who plays an outside role.

smith would be that for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back