Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perkins + Hollands seem to fit that bill — both substantially different to our current crop other than possibly Finn, who has a massively different playstyle regardless of physical attributes

however both are also more likely to be busts whereas it feels like you can lock Phillips in for a floor of a Marc Murphy 200-games type career. Gonna be a tough call.

I mostly just want us to bid on Campbell and hope the Swans' recruiters are taking a sh*t during their allotted matching time. Screw over the swans and get a speedy mid who uses the ball well on both sides? The dream.
Yeah that’s the risk, Holland’s and Perkins are High risk but high reward. IMO when you have pick 4 you need to get the player with the most upside which would be Holland’s or Perkins. Interesting to see if we play it safe and nab Phillips who will be a solid afl player.

Perkins + Hollands seem to fit that bill — both substantially different to our current crop other than possibly Finn, who has a massively different playstyle regardless of physical attributes

however both are also more likely to be busts whereas it feels like you can lock Phillips in for a floor of a Marc Murphy 200-games type career. Gonna be a tough call.

I mostly just want us to bid on Campbell and hope the Swans' recruiters are taking a sh*t during their allotted matching time. Screw over the swans and get a speedy mid who uses the ball well on both sides? The dream.

Yeah it seems like Phillips is the safest bet amongst the top picks. If his floor was Marc Murphy then we'd take that every single day.

On the flip side of my post you quoted you could argue that we need the sure thing - given where the list is and our lack of quality young talent. Maybe we can't afford not to take the guy that's most likely to succeed.

I agree with that, and as someone who has being saying that Phillips doesn't offer versatility (which is true at this point) or a real point of difference bar decent pace - if we take him I'll be excited, especially given he sounds like the most likely player to come in and have an impact straight away.

But having said that we only have one top pick and we really need to nab a dynamic player that offers a big point of difference IMO. That would be ideal.
I see us being bottom 4 for the next 2 years, have more chances to grab that "dynamic" player.

Yeah it seems like Phillips is the safest bet amongst the top picks. If his floor was Marc Murphy then we'd take that every single day.

On the flip side of my post you quoted you could argue that we need the sure thing - given where the list is and our lack of quality young talent. Maybe we can't afford not to take the guy that's most likely to succeed.

Very good point, given the state of the list getting a bust with pick 4 just isn't an option.

I see us being bottom 4 for the next 2 years, have more chances to grab that "dynamic" player.

Yeah I think in 2021 we're near certainties to have another look at the top 5 come draft night, hopefully these next 2-3 years we draft extremely well and help set ourselves up.

I doubt it. GCS want the trio of mates in Rowell, Anderson and Phillips to play together for a long time.
By drafting Phillips it may provide an avenue to get that band back together down here at some point. You never know how things will go in terms of player movements.

It's sounds far more plausible than if someone would've suggested 8 or 9 years ago that all of Tom Scully, Jonathon Patton, Chad Wingard, Tom Mitchell, and Jaegar O'Meara would all be playing for Hawthorn one day.

By drafting Phillips it may provide an avenue to get that band back together down here at some point. You never know how things will go in terms of player movements.

It's sounds far more plausible than if someone would've suggested 8 or 9 years ago that all of Tom Scully, Jonathon Patton, Chad Wingard, Tom Mitchell, and Jaegar O'Meara would all be playing for Hawthorn one day.

**** if someone said that to me 8 or 9 years ago I'd have been rife with excitement.

Perkins vs phillips

I've managed to get through about 5 games each and with perkins you're clearly paying for potential . He obviously has glimpses in games that make you take notice with his size and athleticism. I just find he doesnt Impact around the contest enough to be able to become a fulltime inside mid, sits on the outside waiting for a receive rather then wanting to get stuck in, this year he might have shown that . His kicking is solid but I think phillips is just as good as he knows his limits but will take a risky kick if its there , just lacks an extra 15 metres that perkins has on his .

Phillips was actually played more on the outside early in the year and only got a look in the centre later on,. This year without Rowell and Anderson that oakleigh midfield was all his , you could of almost pencilled him in for 30 possessions every game . Its interesting hearing that phillips has no x factor when I feel like his burst from stoppages is just as impressive as perkins, his ability to track the ball through a stoppage and stay involved is also very underrated, then have the ability to handball to a team mate who is already on the move forward.

I think you're hoping perkins can perform at a level phillips did in some big games last year where as phillips already has the runs on the board and you just will expect he will get it done , I also think of perkins and he reminds me a bit of Daniel Venables that lower production inside outside athletic mid who could live up to his potential and become more then that or go the other way . Where phillips I think he's an almost certainty to make it and quicker caleb serong and can quite easily have the same impact serong had in his first year .

Not sure Will ever becomes the big body you speak of. Finn on the other hand.
I've not seen anything from Finn to suggest he's going to be a
I doubt it. GCS want the trio of mates in Rowell, Anderson and Phillips to play together for a long time.
We could take Phillips or take GCS first for 2020 & 21..they take Phillips, we take Hollands (if he's not grabbed at 2) and have GCS first for next year...
Yeah I think in 2021 we're near certainties to have another look at the top 5 come draft night, hopefully these next 2-3 years we draft extremely well and help set ourselves up.
Maybe a Josh Sinn, attack and take the game on, explode out of the contest type to compliment Phillips from next years draft..
Could give our centre square a whole new look... Sinn's an excitement machine! Then we just have to fix our forward group...

After narrowing my choice to about 8 I am finally able to declare my horse.

Reading more about this kid and him saying “my interview with Clarko blew me away” and “My dream result would be to go to Hawthorn” I have made up my mind.

Phillips.

The kid screams professional, hard working, dedicated and seems as switched on as any kid that age could possibly be.

Couldn't agree more. We were bottom couple of teams in a lot of key midfield stats this year. We need help in there.

Phillips is a no brainer to me. Hollands presents a risk with his injury and Perkins may be a bit of a reach.

Don't want DGB, I feel our defense is coming along nicely (Scrimshaw, Day, Frost, Sicily, Hardwick, Impey, Greaves)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins vs phillips

I've managed to get through about 5 games each and with perkins you're clearly paying for potential . He obviously has glimpses in games that make you take notice with his size and athleticism. I just find he doesnt Impact around the contest enough to be able to become a fulltime inside mid, sits on the outside waiting for a receive rather then wanting to get stuck in, this year he might have shown that . His kicking is solid but I think phillips is just as good as he knows his limits but will take a risky kick if its there , just lacks an extra 15 metres that perkins has on his .

Phillips was actually played more on the outside early in the year and only got a look in the centre later on,. This year without Rowell and Anderson that oakleigh midfield was all his , you could of almost pencilled him in for 30 possessions every game . Its interesting hearing that phillips has no x factor when I feel like his burst from stoppages is just as impressive as perkins, his ability to track the ball through a stoppage and stay involved is also very underrated, then have the ability to handball to a team mate who is already on the move forward.

I think you're hoping perkins can perform at a level phillips did in some big games last year where as phillips already has the runs on the board and you just will expect he will get it done , I also think of perkins and he reminds me a bit of Daniel Venables that lower production inside outside athletic mid who could live up to his potential and become more then that or go the other way . Where phillips I think he's an almost certainty to make it and quicker caleb serong and can quite easily have the same impact serong had in his first year .

That's a great write up, thanks. A lot of interesting points there.

Where do you sit those 2 guys compared to Hollands? It sounds like you're leaning more towards Philips between he and Perkins, what about Philips and Hollands?

Pick 4 - if McDonald or DGB are available take them (high end talls are rare), i dont expect either to be available, Phillips would be the best midfield option and Perkins as a forward/mid, Phillips is multi layered midfielder, he is a contested mid, he also has speed to break through the mid giving an attacking option and his disposal is consistent, Perkins is similar to Hollands with less proven midfield form and no ACL problems.

if the rumours are true then we are not interested in Hollands and im ok with that.

Pick 4 - if McDonald or DGB are available take them (high end talls are rare), i dont expect either to be available, Phillips would be the best midfield option and Perkins as a forward/mid, Phillips is multi layered midfielder, he is a contested mid, he also has speed to break through the mid giving an attacking option and his disposal is consistent, Perkins is similar to Hollands with less proven midfield form and no ACL problems.

if the rumours are true then we are not interested in Hollands and im ok with that.
Who do you take between Phillips and Thilthorp ? That's what it comes down to if North take Hollands most likely.. Assuming Crows take McDonald (also no certainty).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back