Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Some players haven’t improved a lot of things over the last few years not just the kicking even though one of our worst has in billings so it isn’t just Dixon. As I said I think Dixon has coached before. And I also think what you tried to teach your daughter is irrelevant. I’m going it’s more likely the players than the coaches. You pick unskilled players ten you get unskilled kicking for goal.

Either way, waste of money paying Dixon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd suggest there's more than just onfield football performance reasons as to why players like newnes and Bruce were let go.

Ratts didn't exactly hide his opinion of the club under richo. He's basically said the culture of the club needs to be rebuilt.

Which is pretty scary given Thomas was trying to do the same thing more than a decade ago.
Yep, leadership is something that seems to sag with our club as soon as we don’t have individuals brimming with it in themselves. We really did recruit a collection of quieter guys together. Hopeful that’s being rectified.

Ratts mentioned at the AGM tonight that if the current list was ranked on skill, Leo Connolly would already be somewhere between 8-12

Not sure what that says about a few of the other blokes lol
Jeebus

Ratts mentioned at the AGM tonight that if the current list was ranked on skill, Leo Connolly would already be somewhere between 8-12

Being as that was the main strength he was touted for prior to the draft I don't think it necessarily says anything about the list. Good to hear though

I'd suggest there's more than just onfield football performance reasons as to why players like newnes and Bruce were let go.

Ratts didn't exactly hide his opinion of the club under richo. He's basically said the culture of the club needs to be rebuilt.

Which is pretty scary given Thomas was trying to do the same thing more than a decade ago.
Yeah tend to agree but culture isn't linear and conforms to many factors but the coach can lead.
Thomas was innovative and a father figure to a young talented bunch, Lyon put the hard edge and 'bubble' culture which was high risk, high reward, the reward didn't come and we bottomed.
Felt like we were on the up three years back, then 2018 hit us between the eyes.

Everyone could see we needed a reboot, Lethlean started it for this year, and now with Ratts and a whole bunch of new players we are going in a different direction.

You can see a different spirit at training, last pre season was intense but seemed stale.
Once Ratts was installed he brought a sense of fun like Doults kicking s goal to make the seniors. The spirit was great, and saw that sense of fun again last Saturday, with no lack of training intensity.

Ratts made it clear poor skills wont be tolerated so he is not all fun and games.

Hanners, Hill, and Butler all bring premiership experience. Jones and Ryder with experience also changes the culture.

So culture is ethereal and ever changing, get the feeling we are on the right track.

I hope it means Leo is extraordinarily talented.

I don’t see a problem with a new player having skills in the top 10. As I keep saying skills can’t be taught once you are the afl. You have it or don’t have it

I hope it means Leo is extraordinarily talented.
His coach thinks so

LEO CONNOLLY (no.64 to St Kilda):
“There was a lot of buzz for Leo after the season because his form was great from mid-year onwards. He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level – it’s a complete mirror image on both sides. He can kick to long targets on both feet at pace and I’ve hardly ever seen that before.

“Couple that with his speed and agility, I think he’s tailor-made for AFL football. I’d expect him to play at half-back and he’ll keep improving as he spends more time in an elite environment, so I think he’s an inspired pick by St Kilda.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take it that Ratts does not rate the skill level of our list too highly, and that there will be a fair few shown the door by season's end.
It was mentioned by another poster that there are those in the hierarchy of the club whom don't see us improving too much next season. I think that speaks volumes to the fact that the players have been coasting on mediocrity for years, and that admin is stopping the bulls*it by derailing the gravy train.

Doesn’t find enough of it, if I recall correctly.
Not really true - he averaged 20 disposals a game for the season with higher numbers in the back half of the season when he was playing more through the midfield. I think the knock is that he was seen purely as an outside player because of his low contested possession and tackle rate.

Its the mantra these days (contested football + pressure) but we just paid a motza for someone whose contested possession to uncontested rate is 1 to 4 (less than Andrew Gaff) and averages less tackles a game than Jack Lonie so they do have a place.

Last edited:
Not really true - he averaged 20 disposals a game for the season with a number of 25+ in the back half of the season when he was playing more through the midfield. I think the knock is that he was seen purely as an outside player because of his low contested possession and tackle rate.

Its the mantra these days (contested football + pressure) but we just paid a motza for someone whose contested possession to uncontested rate is 1 to 4 (less than Andrew Gaff) and averages less tackles a game than Jack Lonie so they do have a place.

Very true...we have enough guys who can crunch in, protect & tackle, what we desperately need are good users of the ball. If Leo is quick enough to spread & find space and can then pinpoint a kick 50 metres away to another quick dude with good execution, then we are streets ahead of where we were last year. Now we just need Goals.

what was the knock on Leo? he sounds and looks (from the limited highlights) pretty bloody good

No idea but sounds like a Sam Crocker to me - good skills but light and maybe doesn't actually find enough footy. Crocker played mostly Sandy reserves in his two years on our list. Let's hope Leo is better.

What it says is that Ratts and a fair few on here have different views on our list , Way too many on here over rate a lot of our players IMO , Blokes like Geary , DMac ect are going to need to be pushed out if we are to get better and even though Brownie is in fantastic condition he needs to be only back up

Very true...we have enough guys who can crunch in, protect & tackle, what we desperately need are good users of the ball. If Leo is quick enough to spread & find space and can then pinpoint a kick 50 metres away to another quick dude with good execution, then we are streets ahead of where we were last year. Now we just need Goals.

You know he may not get a game in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back