Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know if Webster and Geary will be fit.

They have had Clark rotating through the mids.
Coffield certainly has shown he is a genuine backman more than mid.

Robbo looked a bit rusty. Reckon after the praccy's Robbo and Coff will be his biggest challenge.
I reckon long has a genuine opportunity to cement a spot.
Of course he has a chance. Only has to be in the top 7 backs if it’s balanced but many players have a chance in many positions. Anyone who plays those 2 practice games is a chance. The days of playing kids for the sake of it in those games is well and truely over.

You'd better get insurance then. I want a trillion dollars for my pain and suffering from thinking about perversion that will send my soul into hell fire.

6d72c04cbc2a930674d6aa4cc8bf6252.jpg

Long has a lot of excellent attributes. He is quick, silky, has a terrific kick, and is hard at the footy/doesn't shirk the contest. By far his greatest weakness and is his positioning. How many times have we seen him have 4 disposal games? Even in the games where he shows signs, he's only ever been "hot" for half a quarter before going missing in action again.

That says to me that he isn't a natural forward. Halfback is arguably the easiest position to play in terms of positioning, so I think it's a very good move by Ratts to mitigate his weaknesses and amplify his strengths by moving him there.

Extremely excited to see how we go this year, if anything I’m just hoping we fix our four quarter efforts.

Haven’t looked at the statistics for awhile, pretty sure we started so ordinary last year with our first quarter efforts, second quarter lifted a lot; completely flat for the second half

The atmosphere at training seems a lot better so far; a huge difference compared to the last few. Granted I’ve only been to a few so far, it’s good to enough to get me hyped for our first game.

How’s Joyce going at training? Last year he managed to play a few games but I can’t imagine the same this year considering we have a lot more depth. And (so far) no major injuries compared to last season.

From the outside looking in, Long has always appeared to be highly regarded internally. I like him, but as with many others on here, have also scratched my ever balding head at his selection on more than one occasion. I mean how many 6 to 8 possession games, and 5 frees against, can a guy get away with?
For all that, the bloke has potential to burn, and seems pretty switched on. If the HBF is where it's all going to come together for him, then we may have another guy edging towards A grade come the end of the year. We need to unearth as many of them as we can find...and I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is all about that.

He's a classic tease so far, he has passages of play where you think he's going to break out but as soon as he's dominated for a quarter, off he goes to sleep again. It sounds racist or at least simplistic but indigenous guys tend to thrive when they have others around them. The bond of having others that get you is massive and he could really benefit from having guys like Hill and Ryder around him. Brothers that can show him how to get the most out of their footy should help him thrive. It might be as beneficial as a position change for him.

The lifestyle difference that guys from the top end experience in Melbourne must be like moving to another country. Having guys that get the unique pressures that other indigenous people experience would be pretty good for your peace of mind.

Exactly what I have been saying. My first response if you looked was to a person who hadn’t even seen him train yet he said he was a lock. He obviously isn’t until he plays practice games. Many players are locks before practice games. He isn’t one

And his opinion would have been formed from the club and people watching that have said he's absolutely flying as a reinvented half back. It sounds as if the club is building expectations that he's going to get a go there. He might not be a lock or even the first choice but he's obviously getting boxes ticked right now and on that evidence it's fair to say he's a very good chance to line up there in round one. Sounds like Roberton is rusty and that Savage,Webster, Geary and others for that role aren't really flying right now. Decent evidence to suggest it's not an outrageous comment even if it's hyperbolic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm Tasmanian - ain't nothing wrong with kissing your sister!!
That’s just your opinion; ask her what she thinks.

After all, four heads are better than two 😉

And his opinion would have been formed from the club and people watching that have said he's absolutely flying as a reinvented half back. It sounds as if the club is building expectations that he's going to get a go there. He might not be a lock or even the first choice but he's obviously getting boxes ticked right now and on that evidence it's fair to say he's a very good chance to line up there in round one. Sounds like Roberton is rusty and that Savage,Webster, Geary and others for that role aren't really flying right now. Decent evidence to suggest it's not an outrageous comment even if it's hyperbolic.

Not many statements are outrageous and I doubt anyone has said that. No one I’d say but surely you understand no first round side is picked on silly intraclub games. As for others not being ready well we find in the next month.

I think I need to explain even though it doesn’t seem to hard to comprehend imo. Firstly I have nothing against long as a player. To me he has been a fringe player so far and that’s fine. He is young All I have said is at the moment I think he is behind others as a hbf based on footy against actual sides. Matter of fact I doubt many had long as a backline player when they did their sides a few weeks ago. Now all of a sudden many have him as a hbf because of intraclub games. These games are for 2 main reasons practice and to try others in different positions. Some will never play a game in those positions. As I hsrddly get to training at best I go 2 or 3 times a week I rely on others for form remembering these games aren’t hard contact and most likely aren’t 18 on 18. Long has done well apparently but surely people aren’t now putting him in their sides because of these game.

Unfortunately some are which I’m stunned at. As if rats picks the first round side from these games. What he does pick from these games though is the first practice games and from all reports long deserves a game as a back but that doesn’t mean he has passed players who I class as better in those positions when picking a proper side. 8 or 9 backs will get a chance in the practice games and if he is in the best 7 and the side is balanced he plays. If he isn’t in the best 7 and the side is balanced he misses out. These practice games have no bearing on round one and that’s all I’ve been saying and will keep saying when challenged
Sorry that'smessed up logic.

First you say is that the intra club games have no relevance or bearing on round 1 selections, then you say that its through these games players MAY then get a chance to play in the practice games from which the sides for Round 1 will get selected. By definition that would means the intra clubs have a bearing on Round 1 selections.

Play well in a new role in the intra club, you'll get selected for practice games in that position. Play well in the practice games and you will get a guernsey in Round 1

The prosecution would now like to cite Exhibit A - Josh Battle.

The prosecution rests!!!!

Sorry that'smessed up logic.

First you say is that the intra club games have no relevance or bearing on round 1 selections, then you say that its through these games players MAY then get a chance to play in the practice games from which the sides for Round 1 will get selected. By definition that would means the intra clubs have a bearing on Round 1 selections.

Play well in a new role in the intra club, you'll get selected for practice games in that position. Play well in the practice games and you will get a guernsey in Round 1

The prosecution would now like to cite Exhibit A - Josh Battle.

The prosecution rests!!!!
No not at all. Messed up logic by you. His form now doesn’t get a game in round one. His form in practice games against opposition gets him a game in round one. It’s a separate process. Don’t even get the josh battle reference. He played well against opposition. What about the hundreds of other examples over the years. Munchingtin looks looks good this year in intraclub games. Sippos has really improved this year in intraclub games. It goes on and on. Find last years pre season reports and you will find the same again. May as say so and so is running well in time trials and then he is playing well as mid in intraclub games so the running well in time trials is why he is getting selected in round one. Unfortunately if that said player is crap against opposition in practice games he ain’t playing just like others doing well in intraclub games but crap in games against others.

You should return your lawyers certificate. It was given out in error

Last edited:
Not many statements are outrageous and I doubt anyone has said that. No one I’d say but surely you understand no first round side is picked on silly intraclub games. As for others not being ready well we find in the next month.

I just find it odd that you'd get on your high horse and pull someone up like the mention of it is a thought crime. It's an opinion, just let them flow on by like water rushing over stones in a stream. It's honestly one of the less crazy statements made on BF, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back