List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once this Caldwell business has settled and the melts are over can someone please help me understand the hype?
I know it turned into a bit of a whirlwind because people were excited that a kid the Saints were interested in drafting wanted to join us.
But what makes Caldwell particularly special compared to his peers?

Agreed, this is a kid that’s played 9 games, averaging about 11-12 possessions a game and at most has had 16 touches in a game? If he was predominantly playing as a half forward in those games why had he only kicked 1 goal? With Crouch now, and hopefully Gresh and Billings on the half forward flanks going forward he wouldn’t even be getting a game. So why is everyone so enamoured with the guy?
We just got a flipping A grade mid, should be celebrating that.

To be honest. After crouch yesterday I don’t care.
It’s just doing my head in that everyone freaks out over a tweet.

no offence to Brian, but he said he was coming now has said he isn’t. Then said Gubby doesn’t give up.

sitting on the fence.

Atleast Ghost is willing to cop it if he gets it wrong from you guys. No chopping and changing answers. Backs in what he hears and that’s why I’ll back him and his info.

The roller coaster of emotions is the fun part. Once they sign it gets boring quickly and we need another sugar hit. Crouch has already worn off, need more stimulation. We can't lose though, we have a villain or a star for the next 5 years regardless.

Agreed, this is a kid that’s played 9 games, averaging about 11-12 possessions a game and at most has had 16 touches in a game? If he was predominantly playing as a half forward in those games why had he only kicked 1 goal? With Crouch now, and hopefully Gresh and Billings on the half forward flanks going forward he wouldn’t even be getting a game. So why is everyone so enamoured with the guy?
We just got a f*n A grade mid, should be celebrating that.

I think a lot of people on here are dismissive of how good crouch actually is

I don’t rate him any higher than Bytel he’s just a different type of player, Caldwell has more outside game.

Byrnes has pace, and can run out of trouble. He can win his own ball and play forward pocket.

Regardless of a nomination, whatever that is... there’s still then the trade period time for players to potentially change where they’re heading.

And at the end of the day, if he comes to us great. If not, we look elsewhere or play Bytel more. Can’t begrudge Caldwell for what seems like more game time and dollars.

Exactly. Wait til Dodo fks about & offers GWS a 3rd rounder... we'll keep on his hammer if Arrsendon (thanks Duderino) falters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please explain the Caldwell hype?

Exposed AFL form is not mind blowing, and even junior form is a little unknown given injuries apparently. Yes was a pick 11, but not exactly the most highly ranked midfielder in recent times (Knightmare had him going at pick 20).

Like, how is he different to many other early draft midfielders, some of whom never eventuated to anything (Paul Ahern, Jarrod Pickett, Aiden Bonar - all GWS pick ups FWIW)?

That's not to say that I'm a sceptic, I just want to know where this all stems from? Is it one of those self perpetuating legends, the original source of which no one can really remember?

Not sour grapes if we don't land him coz I still hope we do (more bc it just adds to the allure that we get shit done)

But

The footy world has gone crazy when a 20 year old relatively unproven kid is getting a long term, big $ deal and everyone is frothing.

I doubt I'd even know him if I passed him in the street. He may be a gun, or he may be a GOP. Truth is he hasn't shown enough from what Ive seen to be super confident in either result

Johnnyrayflamingo Moorabbin Ghost
Thought this signing was in the bag????

Enough of the rubbishing those with possible information. Tell me, have you ever been to an auction? Sometimes the leading bidder secures the house, sometimes the guy up the back near the pot plant gets it. Thats the nature of the game.

Meh. Not really phased with Caldwell. Would surely be fighting for a spot with Bytel.
I’m a massive fan of Bytel - ever since I heard he beat Walsh in one on one and was a see ball get ball type of inside mid. Loved his debut. His disposal was so clean. He was quiet the next two weeks but still can see plenty of upside. I really want him to be a permanent fixture of our midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back