Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait shit from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

It would be poetic if Chad did go in a lot of ways.
I can see him, the man who told the club not to go near him during his draft year, being their first norm smith medalists and in their first premiership side.
Only thing is finances won't be enough to get him there- as others have mentioned Chad is a very emotional guy and I can see this turning ugly real quick if it isn't handled well behind closed doors.

Long drive home to see his family and friends.

I find this hard to believe. I believe he may have SAID it, because he was told to. But NO ONE would ever actually WANT to be a bomber. Not even a Daniher did.

JOM and 21 > Port for Ladhams and 16
16 + Future First > Adelaide for Pick 4
5 + Chad > GWS for Pick 2 and 13
Gunston > Melbourne for Pick 17

Probably some salary cap and later picks flying around as well. Adelaide probably least happy about this although if they cant get JHF this year it does give them potentially two top-5 picks next year to go hard at Rankine and / or Lukosius next year whilst still having access to someone like Roberts in the first round this year.

We end up with 2, 4, 13, 17 and 24 which translates to something like Callaghan, Ward, Goater, Wanganeen-Milera and Bazzo.
Those names sound great. Every year there are good players picked 25+ too. See what happens.

Just a question, how are people so definitive on small differences in draft pick order when we have not seen much football played in some states? Big differences, yea sure, but pick 3 vs 5 say, is it definitely a big difference this draft?
When you get to that point in the draft it's not really about the number, its about the player. It's probably about how much Hawthorn value Callaghan ahead of Ward for example. They ask themselves how much more valuable is Callaghan to Ward in rebuilding our list.
Look at what the Crows were willing to part with to get JHF, they're probably a good chance to get Callaghan at 4, but they're willing to part with Callaghan add a probable top 5 pick in 2022 and end 2022 first round pick to get JHF because they think he can have that big an impact.

We do not need more 28 year olds during a rebuild
Imagine if melbourne had've said this two years ago when they were 2nd bottom. Or us in 2006. Things happen much faster than you clearly realise.

Curious, what are your thoughts on Wingard? What is his value?
If GWS were to offer 2 + 13 for Chad + 5 then I'd take that deal every day of the week. Dealing Chad would hurt in the early stages but would be unbelievable in the longterm for us. We are in the early stages of a rebuild that wasn't started correctly in the first place. It's important to remember that players like Chad, Mitchell and JOM were brought in to have one last run at it but the quality of our list was no were needed to even contend at this point.

I don't want to trade Chad but if the above mentioned deal was there then that would be an extraordinary deal for us. It would allow us to build around Callaghan and Day for the next 10+ years. The only catch in all of this would likely be Chad agreeing to a trade and I reckon he'd be fighting tooth and nail to be not going anywhere.

fUkLU_.gif

Imagine if melbourne had've said this two years ago when they were 2nd bottom. Or us in 2006. Things happen much faster than you clearly realise.
Melbourne's list two years ago had a lot of top end talent. Ours right now has very very little. Did Clarkson not show you a quick rebuild simply doesn't exist?

If GWS are offering us 2+13 for 5+Chad I’ll pack his bags and give him a lift to the airport

Harsh.

Is that attitude towards players who were promised the world when enticed to the Hawks the best way to rebuild a winning team culture?
Who would want to come to the club if that's how we deal with them? That's every player for themselves. Hardly installs a team first attitude. Someone like Impey would think F**k this place, I'm out of here next chance..

Hope you don't complain that we aren't a destination club anymore if that's how we treat our players.

Harsh.

Is that attitude towards players who were promised the world when enticed to the Hawks the best way to rebuild a winning team culture?
Who would want to come to the club if that's how we deal with them? That's every player for themselves. Hardly installs a team first attitude. Someone like Impey would think F**k this place, I'm out of here next chance..

Hope you don't complain that we aren't a destination club anymore if that's how we treat our players.
We forced Burton out when he didn't want to go. How would this be any different? Players still chose to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh.

We forced our greatest coach out and he didn't want to leave. We have already made the toughest call on the rebuild.

He didn't want to leave? No matter which way you read it, it appears he did want to leave
Only after we put him in an invidious position with that stupid succession plan. He wanted to stay long term as senior coach. The point is that the club - rightly or wrongly - made the decision that the last 5 years were a complete failure and we were moving in a new direction with a rebuild. If that involved replacing someone of Clarkson's status, no player can expect to be immune just because promises were made to them 3-5 years ago by people no longer at the club. That was all part of a plan that didn't work out.

That said, Wingard is the one I am least keen to move. But if pick 2 is in play, we have to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back