List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He chose going to Adelaide over coming back to WA.

No chance he gets a game for either WA club the last two years he’s been at the crows. That would have something to do with it.

Anyway he’s pretty rubbish.

I’d honestly rather Levi Casboult on the rookie list for a season and go hard at forward/rucks at the 2022 trade period. And yes I’m aware that Casboult is a massive spud.

And purchased a house in Coogee. We’re not chasing JOM. We’re definitely not chasing Josh Kennedy and Luke Jackson is not going anywhere so no point waiting for Melbourne to say he isn’t tradable…again.

Freo have gone on the record to say if Lobb is to go we will need a replacement forward ruck. Tim English is potentially available but whilst he is decent at ruck, he hasn’t showed anything much as a forward. I’m definitely not a fan of Mason Cox (he turns 31 next year) who is a terrible ruck but ok forward. He lost his place to Darcy Cameron who could be a cheap option.

A left field option who did a bit of ruck work for Peel when on our list is Hugh Dixon. He started to make some positive strides as a forward and if he has improved fitness could pinch in the ruck.
ahhhh the old purchased a house in coogee story

No chance he gets a game for either WA club the last two years he’s been at the crows. That would have something to do with it.

Anyway he’s pretty rubbish.

I’d honestly rather Levi Casboult on the rookie list for a season and go hard at forward/rucks at the 2022 trade period. And yes I’m aware that Casboult is a massive spud.
Yeah good point about getting a game in WA. Seems underwhelming.
Casboult would be alright as the get out kick player if we keep some smalls at his feet and he separates the defense.

If you look back at one of the greatest teams, Hawks. They actually belted more grand finalists when Buddy left.
A Roughead, Gunston, Hale forward line easily took care of Sydney, WC.
Obviously their smalls, wingers were quality. But midfield is where it all starts.
Losing Cerra’s silky skills will hurt but Brodie will help with his size.
We are in a great position to build something special.

I can only assume Rochelle, would be perfectly happy with him at 8 or 10
yep -

Erasmus at 8, Rachelle at 10, Williams at 19.
or
Rachelle at 8, Amiss/JVR at 10, Chesser at 19

Match bid on Motlop in the 40s/50s.

Benning as a Cat B

Lots of options when you have 3 picks inside 20.

Kind of hoping we pull the pin on the Clark deal and grab a Bazzo or a Brown at 22.

Let Lobb go he doesn’t want to be here. 22 for Clarke no more than that. Take JVR and Josh Cripps in draft, one big monster and a mobile type. Grab Liam McBean with rookie pick from SANFL for a few years until others develop. Has been leading goal kicker in SANFL last 3 years, 202cm. Averages over 2.5 goals a game over a long period, not a flash in the pan, was on Richmonds list. Highlights look ok. Call me stupid but we can’t afford to blow the farm on another big forward to replace Lobb, they cost too much. This plan allows us to draft and grow a couple of our own yet still be ready to go next year.

I'm not against English coming aboard... I see him more as a Dean Cox type than anything, maybe Matty Richardson sort of thing? Let him run around as the big link. float forward and kick a few snags and give Swaggy a chop out in the ruck?
Depends on the price I suppose. Our draft hand is looking pretty strong now wouldn't want to stuff it up could have a chance of actually building a forward line with good forwards in it.

I am finding myself more and more frustrated with our list management, and the below highlights why.

We apparently going through a rebuild, but use 2 first round picks, 5 second round picks, 3 3rd round picks bringing in average players.

If we had committed to the rebuild, we would be in a good position now, instead we are still 3 or 4 players short of where we need to be.

In

Jesse Hogan (Melbourne)[102]
Rory Lobb (Greater Western Sydney)[102]
Travis Colyer (Essendon)[102]
Harley Bennell
Shane Kersten
Joel Hamling
Bradley Hill
Cam McCarthy (no value)
Brandon Matera - 3rd round pick
Nathan Wilson
Aish

Out

Pick 6
Two future 2nd round picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am finding myself more and more frustrated with our list management, and the below highlights why.

We apparently going through a rebuild, but use 2 first round picks, 5 second round picks, 3 3rd round picks bringing in average players.

If we had committed to the rebuild, we would be in a good position now, instead we are still 3 or 4 players short of where we need to be.

In

Harley Bennell
Shane Kersten
Joel Hamling
Bradley Hill
Cam McCarthy (no value)
Nathan Wilson
Aish

Out

Pick 6
Brisbane woke up to the fact of players buying in. Biggest change at the Dees, winning trade night is great for the ego😜

Brisbane woke up to the fact of players buying in. Biggest change at the Dees, winning trade night is great for the ego😜

lincoln McCarthy, joe Daniher lachie Neale, jarrod lyons, ah Chee, Charlie Cameron

Steven May, Jake Lever

In

Harley Bennell
Shane Kersten
Joel Hamling
Bradley Hill
Cam McCarthy (no value)
Nathan Wilson
Aish

Out

Pick 6
If we’re looking to play finals next year which I’m pretty sure the club is looking at the rebuild should be over

If we’re looking to play finals next year which I’m pretty sure the club is looking at the rebuild should be over
Yeah, but we had not traded away those picks we would be in a really strong spot.

I think we will struggle to make the finals, as Cerra leaving and Mundy declining will hurt us more than you think. If Lobb leaves, then that will hurt our forward line, especially with a lack of good ball users in the midfield.

In

Harley Bennell
Shane Kersten
Joel Hamling
Bradley Hill
Cam McCarthy (no value)
Nathan Wilson
Aish

Out

Pick 6
It's oh so easy to be critical of every trade we made, especially with hindsight.

Lobb, Colyer, Hamling, Hill, Wilson and Aish have been objectively good trades. Could even argue that we got decent value out of Matera and Kersten too for what we gave up. You cannot possibly argue that Colyer, Hamling, Hill, Wilson or Aish were bad trades. They have all improved our team. Sure, Wilson had a bad year, Hamling is struggling through injury but they've contributed a great deal over several years. Lobb fills one of the toughest spots on the field and he is objectively good in that role, sure the contract is atrocious but he is bloody important to our side.

McCarthy, Hogan and Bennell are the only ones that I'd lose any sleep over. But, with the information we had at the time we traded for them, you would be kidding yourself if you tried to pretend you wouldn't do it again. It's only with hindsight that you can say these were bad trades. It's just picking low hanging fruit.

We've drafted exceptionally well since 2016 (maybe with the exception of 2018), we have a heap of young talent and the current group we have will achieve great things. Think we've struck a decent balance between trading in mature bodies to fill needs and hitting the draft.

It's oh so easy to be critical of every trade we made, especially with hindsight.

Lobb, Colyer, Hamling, Hill, Wilson and Aish have been objectively good trades. Could even argue that we got decent value out of Matera and Kersten too for what we gave up. You cannot possibly argue that Colyer, Hamling, Hill, Wilson or Aish were bad trades. They have all improved our team. Sure, Wilson had a bad year, Hamling is struggling through injury but they've contributed a great deal over several years. Lobb fills one of the toughest spots on the field and he is objectively good in that role, sure the contract is atrocious but he is bloody important to our side.

McCarthy, Hogan and Bennell are the only ones that I'd lose any sleep over. But, with the information we had at the time we traded for them, you would be kidding yourself if you tried to pretend you wouldn't do it again. It's only with hindsight that you can say these were bad trades. It's just picking low hanging fruit.

We've drafted exceptionally well since 2016 (maybe with the exception of 2018), we have a heap of young talent and the current group we have will achieve great things. Think we've struck a decent balance between trading in mature bodies to fill needs and hitting the draft.
Our medical staff would have signed off on Hogan and Bennell wouldn't they? At least to the extent that they have issues that they are confident they can address.

The McCarthy trade remains one of our big wins putting several pieces in place for a small downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back