Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Magnificent morning at Waverley. Sun was shining, sky was blue, cool breeze was blowing. I arrived at about 9.15 to find that the boys were already half way through a match with AFL umpires present. Apparently they were on the track much earlier than usual today.

Only guys missing from the match play were Capt. Big Boy, the Mitchells (T & S), Saunders, Pepper, Gunners, Sicily, Hartigan & Breust. Hartigan copped a knock to the shin on Monday so sat today out.

My impressions and observations from the 2.5 quarters of the game that I was present for:

First one I need to mention is DGB. He was playing on the last line of defence for the orange team, very much in the Sicily role, not on anyone in particular, just free to roam and pick up whoever needs to be picked up, which a lot of the time was TOB. He was outstanding. Comprehensively won that battle with TOB. He reads the play like Brian Lake and even when it looks like he is going to beaten, he manages to get the spoil in. 18 years old, plays like a 25 year old. Sam Mitchell asked us who we liked as he walked off after training, we mentioned a few names and Mitch highlighted DGB as the one that stuck out to him.

Greaves just continues to impress at every session. He was calm under pressure and was a driving force off half back for the orange team.

Dylan Moore playing for the blue team was outstanding. Worked hard pushing up from the midfield into the forward line, would consistently get his hands on the ball and then pops up in the forward line to either kick a goal or a with an assist.

Scrimshaw was excellent off halfback for the Blue team.

Day, also for the blue team, was playing off half back and racking up the meters gained with his running up the ground and then elite delivery to teammates with low flat bullet like kicks. Oozing confidence and looking like a 7 year veteran.

Impey was back to doing what he does.

The Chad was outstanding in all facets of the game. Clearances, goals etc. Effortless for him.

Finn was playing on the outside for the orange team and was getting his hands on the ball a fair bit. Disposal was not perfect but he worked hard and got to the right spots.

Downie, also in the orange, got heaps of the ball, didn't always use it well but like Finn, worked hard and got plenty of it.

Jeka took a couple of great grabs playing forward for the blue team and was a consistent threat around goal. Kicked a few, missed one or two.

Brockman was excellent. A real live wire. Seems to have a knack for getting into space in the forward line and being an option for the mids to deliver to. Kicked a couple of goals. His field kicking was also excellent. Doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses.

Kosi worked hard playing at half forward, took a few grabs and always made a contest.

Best mid was Jaegar playing for the blue team. Mix of inside and outside and was pure class.

Worpel was prminent fo rthe blue team. Kicked a goal from a free kick 55 metres out.

Ceglar was rucking for the blue team against Reeves and Brooksby. He easily won most of the contests but reeves definitely made life hard for him. However it was his work around the ground that stood out today. Ceglar is looking ready for a really good year.

Morrison was again excellent off half back. Seemed to be involved in everything and used the ball well.

CJ was excellent as always but will need to keep working on his kicking on the run.

One who I was really pleased to see playing well was Daniel Howe. Considering how much of the preseason he has missed, he was very good playing as mid for the blue team. Took a good grab in the forward pocket as well.

Nash played forward as did Reeves when he wasn't rucking.

There were 6 Box Hill boys out there.

After match play they did some running. Best runners were Finn, CJ, Moore, Saunders and one of the umpires. Kosi, Downie, JOM also ran well. was pretty good as well. They did three separate run throughs of two laps. I think the idea was to set the time on the first run and then match it or beat it on the other two runs. DGB and Reeves finished 2nd last and last in all three runs.

Shout out to houdinihuddo, Croc and others who were there offering their takes on what was happening as well.

No training on Friday.

I'll be back next week.

Sounds like Cousins, Greaves and Moore haven’t missed a beat during the pre-season. They are going to make it extremely hard for the coaching staff not to pick them for Round 1.

We need two wingards. One to win the ball and hit up a leading forward and another to provide some class and finishing inside 50 for us . Clarko will battle with this again this year.

Yes, but we need the one in the middle more. No point him being forward to provide class and finishing if it doesn’t get there

better off getting it there in the first place, then locking the ball inside 50 so midfielder-Wingard can be around the ball in the forward line

Yes, but we need the one in the middle more. No point him being forward to provide class and finishing if it doesn’t get there

better off getting it there in the first place, then locking the ball inside 50 so midfielder-Wingard can be around the ball in the forward line
A hungry and fit wingard in the middle would be a game changer next season. I see him as a pretty good forward but an elite mid.

Hey Axeman, great report.

Any chance you could give us perhaps a top 5 who are burning up the track and are the standouts of the pre season?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm guessing that your post was chucked in the quote for some reason

That's a good list Noel. I would have the following:
Moore
Greaves
CJ
Kosi
Brockman

Could easily include JOM, Chad & Ceglar in there as well

If you discount the running drills then DGB could be added.

Those are eight players in positions we're pretty desperate for a lift in- fills me with hope going into this year!

Coming up against a team like Essendon first up I'd love for us to come out with a statement effort.
I'd expect all bar maybe Kosi/Brockman from those lists to be in the side.

Moore
Greaves
CJ
Kosi
Brockman

Appreciate that Axeman.

Brockman looking good for round 1? Absolutely the type of player we are in need of.

Let’s hope Moore and Greaves can kick on from their impressive ends to last season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Magnificent morning at Waverley. Sun was shining, sky was blue, cool breeze was blowing. I arrived at about 9.15 to find that the boys were already half way through a match with AFL umpires present. Apparently they were on the track much earlier than usual today.

Only guys missing from the match play were Capt. Big Boy, the Mitchells (T & S), Saunders, Pepper, Gunners, Sicily, Hartigan & Breust. Hartigan copped a knock to the shin on Monday so sat today out.

My impressions and observations from the 2.5 quarters of the game that I was present for:

First one I need to mention is DGB. He was playing on the last line of defence for the orange team, very much in the Sicily role, not on anyone in particular, just free to roam and pick up whoever needs to be picked up, which a lot of the time was TOB. He was outstanding. Comprehensively won that battle with TOB. He reads the play like Brian Lake and even when it looks like he is going to beaten, he manages to get the spoil in. 18 years old, plays like a 25 year old. Sam Mitchell asked us who we liked as he walked off after training, we mentioned a few names and Mitch highlighted DGB as the one that stuck out to him.

Greaves just continues to impress at every session. He was calm under pressure and was a driving force off half back for the orange team.

Dylan Moore playing for the blue team was outstanding. Worked hard pushing up from the midfield into the forward line, would consistently get his hands on the ball and then pops up in the forward line to either kick a goal or a with an assist.

Day, also for the blue team, was playing off half back and racking up the meters gained with his running up the ground and then elite delivery to teammates with low flat bullet like kicks. Oozing confidence and looking like a 7 year veteran.

The Chad was outstanding in all facets of the game. Clearances, goals etc. Effortless for him.

Finn was playing on the outside for the orange team and was getting his hands on the ball a fair bit. Disposal was not perfect but he worked hard and got to the right spots.

Downie, also in the orange, got heaps of the ball, didn't always use it well but like Finn, worked hard and got plenty of it.

Jeka took a couple of great grabs playing forward for the blue team and was a consistent threat around goal. Kicked a few, missed one or two.

Brockman was excellent. A real live wire. Seems to have a knack for getting into space in the forward line and being an option for the mids to deliver to. Kicked a couple of goals. His field kicking was also excellent. Doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses.

Kosi worked hard playing at half forward, took a few grabs and always made a contest.

Best mid was Jaegar playing for the blue team. Mix of inside and outside and was pure class.

Worpel was prminent fo rthe blue team. Kicked a goal from a free kick 55 metres out.

Ceglar was rucking for the blue team against Reeves and Brooksby. He easily won most of the contests but reeves definitely made life hard for him. However it was his work around the ground that stood out today. Ceglar is looking ready for a really good year.

Morrison was again excellent off half back. Seemed to be involved in everything and used the ball well.

CJ was excellent as always but will need to keep working on his kicking on the run.

One who I was really pleased to see playing well was Daniel Howe. Considering how much of the preseason he has missed, he was very good playing as mid for the blue team. Took a good grab in the forward pocket as well.

After match play they did some running. Best runners were Finn, CJ, Moore, Saunders and one of the umpires. Kosi, Downie, JOM also ran well. was pretty good as well. They did three separate run throughs of two laps. I think the idea was to set the time on the first run and then match it or beat it on the other two runs. DGB and Reeves finished 2nd last and last in all three runs.

Shout out to houdinihuddo, Croc and others who were there offering their takes on what was happening as well.

No training on Friday.

I'll be back next week.
Thankyou Axeman. Much appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. You need to turn your work into a novel.

2. You mentioned "one of the umpires' completing some running after match-play... how did he look? What's he about? Tell us about him...

View attachment 1050412
Well, he was wearing green, carried a whistle everywhere he went, scrawny build but man can this guy run. Was waaaay out in front of the pack. Zero possessions during the game and avoided contact so I'd steer clear of him.

No training on Friday.

I'll be back next week.
Pretty comprehensive there Axe. Nice job! Cheers.
Morrison seems to keep popping up in a lot or reports. Sneaky chance for a most improved and a return to the form that got a lot of us excited on the first place?

The eight players in positions we're pretty desperate for a lift in- fills me with hope going into this year!

Coming up against a team like Essendon first up I'd love for us to come out with a statement effort.
I'd expect all bar maybe Kosi/Brockman from those lists to be in the side.

Our Wizard cup match against North will give us an indication of how our mids, (sans Tom), are at. A fresh Cunnington with Simpkin, LDU, Jed Anderson Will Phillips plus Goldy will be a tough test. The Bombers mids are relative flyweights compared to the Roos.

Great to hear that Ceglar is fit and that Reeves is coming along.

Breust will o
Is Breust unlikely for round 1?

Maybe the rumour of him and Mitchell missing is true?

Breust is getting
Moore
Greaves
CJ
Kosi
Brockman

Good choices. Up until last week, I’d have Harry Pepper in there as well. Worpel has gone up a level this preseason.

Pretty comprehensive there Axe. Nice job! Cheers.
Morrison seems to keep popping up in a lot or reports. Sneaky chance for a most improved and a return to the form that got a lot of us excited on the first place?
I would love for Morrison to cement a spot. He has looked a million bucks out on the track but he generally does every summer. That being said, there is something different about him this summer. Not sure what it is, but I like it. I truly hope he can take things up a notch or two when the real stuff starts.

Blue started off the stronger team but a number of players swapped sides as the game went on. Box Hill boys were Adduci, Cunico, Greene, Porter, E Phillips and Bramble. No sign of Will Bravo today. Probably start Monday.

Interesting you name drop Will Bravo, he was an outside chance to get drafted from Dandenong last year, is he trialing with Box Hill or Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back