Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How does Fort go as a forward? I have watched a few clips and he looks okay, reasonably nimble for his size.

Wondering if we can mix Oscar and Fort Ruck / Forward. Maybe Oscar plays a bit more forward than this year.

Daniher and McStay told to roam more up the ground. Fort / Oscar to stay deep and just not get outmarked, get Charlie / Linc / Ah Chee etc buzzing around their feet.

Perhaps I am overstating the ability of Fort given he didn't get a game for the cats.

I still would be happy with Lester as the third forward with Rayner floating through. McStay as second ruck.
Honestly I haven't watched much of him this year but when he did get a few games I thought he was more a forward than a ruck. Certainly think he'll offer more up forward than the other mature agers we've been linked with.

Worth noting in relation to Casboult - Vic government has just mandated vaccination for all 'authorised workers,' which includes professional athletes. I cannot imagine that this won't extend to athletes from other states flying in and out of Vic.

That might depend on how existing contracts have been front loaded or otherwise...
Could do, however I feel like any money freed up from front ended deals just gets moved on to other extensions, for example I’d imagine the money being saved from Lachie’s front ended deal has already been allocated to the young guys extentsions. All guesswork from me though, just how I’d assume it works.

Could do, however I feel like any money freed up from front ended deals just gets moved on to other extensions, for example I’d imagine the money being saved from Lachie’s front ended deal has already been allocated to the young guys extentsions. All guesswork from me though, just how I’d assume it works.
Of course.

Just because you delist / retire three players on $300k does not mean you have $900k/yr to spend on a superstar.

All contracts, front-ending, back-ending, extensions etc would be worked out with further planning and contingencies considered.

Of course.

Just because you delist / retire three players on $300k does not mean you have $900k/yr to spend on a superstar.

All contracts, front-ending, back-ending, extensions etc would be worked out with further planning and contingencies considered.
Just like Birchalls retirement this year who would have been on decent coin I would presume.
Doesn’t appear to have opened up much space for us next year.

Yeah I was honestly frustrated with Bailey alot of this year. It's scary to think some already had him fringe AA squad this year - he is at about 25% of his potential.

There are about 9 players in our top 25 that I expect an improvement leap from, I am content heading into this year with the list we have.

My only 2 wishes is a bigger bodied, dynamic mid (won't happen) and a back up for Oscar.
Agree 100% with everything you say lioninthesand.
Bailey is a crowd favorite because he entertains the crowd with exciting passages of play. So does Charlie and to a lesser extent so does Robbo. In saying that, for us to win a flag, there needs to be a significant lift from the two I mentioned along with another 3 or 4 who simply don't do the team disciplines needed to get to the top like Melbourne did this year. Charlie needs to contribute more to defensive pressure in the forward line. His effort when the opposition has the ball in our forward 50 is almost non existent. Bailey is exciting but he's selfish. The more game day experience he has, the better he will get at changing that for the better of the team. I love watching individual brilliance but not at the teams expense and that's what we get from a few in our best 22. In my opinion, we get ALL of our 22 playing for eachother next year like Melbourne did this year, and we will be unstoppable.

P.S. Another big bodied mid with speed would be awesome. Hopefully Berry has a better run with injury in 2022.

Agree 100% with everything you say lioninthesand.
Bailey is a crowd favorite because he entertains the crowd with exciting passages of play. So does Charlie and to a lesser extent so does Robbo. In saying that, for us to win a flag, there needs to be a significant lift from the two I mentioned along with another 3 or 4 who simply don't do the team disciplines needed to get to the top like Melbourne did this year. Charlie needs to contribute more to defensive pressure in the forward line. His effort when the opposition has the ball in our forward 50 is almost non existent. Bailey is exciting but he's selfish. The more game day experience he has, the better he will get at changing that for the better of the team. I love watching individual brilliance but not at the teams expense and that's what we get from a few in our best 22. In my opinion, we get ALL of our 22 playing for eachother next year like Melbourne did this year, and we will be unstoppable.

P.S. Another big bodied mid with speed would be awesome. Hopefully Berry has a better run with injury in 2022.
It was my impression that we overdid the selfless things on occasions and someone got inside Bailey's head because he started looking for options when he clearly would've been better off going for it. Sometimes with players like him you're better off giving them their head but I understand he does appear selfish . As he gets better he'll develop better instincts as to when to be more defensive and dish it off and when to make the most of his natural gifts. I don't want to see him lose his flair in any respect.

Agree re Charlie, his defensive work has gone from being very good when he started out to almost non existent this year.

It was my impression that we overdid the selfless things on occasions and someone got inside Bailey's head because he started looking for options when he clearly would've been better off going for it. Sometimes with players like him you're better off giving them their head but I understand he does appear selfish . As he gets better he'll develop better instincts as to when to be more defensive and dish it off and when to make the most of his natural gifts. I don't want to see him lose his flair in any respect.

Agree re Charlie, his defensive work has gone from being very good when he started out to almost non existent this year.
Agree 100%, what makes Melbourne such an unselfish team isn’t passing the ball off to teammates for goals, it’s hard gut running both defensively and to open up options for teammates in offence. I’ve mentioned it before as well but I’d rather Bailey take a tough shot from 50 than some of the other guys taking one from 35 on the same angle.

Agree 100%, what makes Melbourne such an unselfish team isn’t passing the ball off to teammates for goals, it’s hard gut running both defensively and to open up options for teammates in offence. I’ve mentioned it before as well but I’d rather Bailey take a tough shot from 50 than some of the other guys taking one from 35 on the same angle.
So true.

The unselfish thing to do is to run your guts out both ways whether you're in the contest or not and apply pressure off the ball.

Selfish acts with ball in hand are completely overrated. Great players are always a bit selfish because they're good. Average players have to be unselfish because they're not as good at getting it or doing anything special themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For

He would be 3 times better than Levi and Mason he kicked 44 goals only 2 years ago has family in Queensland he seems like a good fit is only 25

What do we do with him after Hipwood comes back though?

I raised finlayson as an option when we picked Marcus Adams. Provides great flexibilty (was a defender)… but does he give us the ruck support/depth we all seem to be mentioning?

It allows Us to play McStay in defence to replace Adams

I don't know if that's the best idea. McStay is a better forward than a defender and Adams is a better defender than a forward.

What you're really pointing out is pretty fair though, which is that Hipwood, Joe and McStay don't really gel that well with providing a rest for Oscar. I appreciate that you're trying to solve that problem fairly creatively.

I raised finlayson as an option when we picked Marcus Adams. Provides great flexibilty (was a defender)… but does he give us the ruck support/depth we all seem to be mentioning?
There is no known dimension in which Finlayson would be able to give ruck support.

Very injury prone has never played a Full season at the Lions
Adams will get fitter and fitter and is an excellent defender. If we learnt anything this year it is that our forward line is measurably worse without McStay. Nothing would convince me that he should be played in defence.

Wtf have people been watching, bringing up lewis young and finlayson as solutions. None of the ones we have actually been linked to are much chop, but what do you expect when you are shopping for a backup.

Gold coast looking to salary dump MacPherson and 19 for Norths future 2nd/3rd.

At first it seems bizarre and it still kind of is.

If the AFL starts to allow salary dumps though I wonder if we could move on CEY and open the trade period up a bit more

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back