Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never consider myself qualified to be a predictor of young talent/chracter

But if at our pick that’s phillipou, best available and able to fit midfield or forward, areas we arguably need to bolster the most, then seems like win win win

Also being able to rotate fwd mid helps rotating our young midfield in order to see out the season.

I’m bemused the majority of the tall slated to go early are declared as defenders, isn’t it the go that tall afl defenders were often forwards in younger leagues?

Btw if we select the ‘poo’ should his nickname be ‘wee’?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

He wants to be a 1 club player like basketball legend’s Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant sounds good no flight risk but perhaps that makes Gold Coast interested

MJ wasn’t a one club player though.

So it appears that Tsatas is generally considered the best available talent if he gets through to our selection. So if Essendon take Phillipou at 4 it would appear that Tsatas would be too hard to overlook.
Gold Coast are now being heavily linked with Humphrey, so that would rule him out of the equation for us.
It sounds like Clark & Phillipou will be the choice for us. Not too concerned about the apparent overconfidence "issue" being raised with Phillipou.

Tsatas would be best case scenario.
Phillipou could have the highest ceiling.
As for Clark, after the Championships he was very much viewed as a top 5 selection.
I'm pretty comfortable whichever way we go to be honest.

I've always chuckled by the line, 'what club 'x' decide with their selection could dramatically change the course of the draft'.

"With Pick 4, Essendon have selected... Mattaes Phillipou. Disorientated and confused, Hawthorn have gone for projected rookie selection Maxwell Higginbottom."
You laugh, but you might be forgetting exactly how we ended up with DGB, after North squibbed it.

When the music stopped Tsatas was widely held with Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel as the top 4 talents. Cadman entered that after GWS traded in pick 1 with him as their target but that wasn’t the word all year. Giants are reaching, Twomey’s rankings reflect that.

If Tsatas slides to 7, I think we snap him up quickly. This seems a genuine chance with the mystery around the Bombers and with GC seeing him as a flight risk.

Sounding like GC will take Humphrey.

I’m thinking we take Tsatas if he slides; or one of Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou if he doesn’t.

I’d personally prefer the latter but I reckon it will be Clark to hawks (with the bombers taking Tsatas). Mark McKenzie tends to play it safe with early picks

When the music stopped Tsatas was widely held with Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel as the top 4 talents. Cadman entered that after GWS traded in pick 1 with him as their target but that wasn’t the word all year. Giants are reaching, Twomey’s rankings reflect that.

If Tsatas slides to 7, I think we snap him up quickly. This seems a genuine chance with the mystery around the Bombers and with GC seeing him as a flight risk.

Sounding like GC will take Humphrey.

I’m thinking we take Tsatas if he slides; or one of Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou if he doesn’t.

I’d personally prefer the latter but I reckon it will be Clark to hawks (with the bombers taking Tsatas). Mark McKenzie tends to play it safe with early picks
Its not playing it safe. There is a list of players we have ranked in order once the draft starts. We will pick best available from that list for our first pick. We might pick some needs and wants after that pick once again ranked in order. So for instance with our second if we were picking a forward we would have ranked all forwards and pick the best availble. This is of course unless we ranked a player much higher and he slid we might be tempted to pick him instead. The list ranking is combination of our list management team and Sam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it appears that Tsatas is generally considered the best available talent if he gets through to our selection. So if Essendon take Phillipou at 4 it would appear that Tsatas would be too hard to overlook.
Gold Coast are now being heavily linked with Humphrey, so that would rule him out of the equation for us.
It sounds like Clark & Phillipou will be the choice for us. Not too concerned about the apparent overconfidence "issue" being raised with Phillipou.

Tsatas would be best case scenario.
Phillipou could have the highest ceiling.
As for Clark, after the Championships he was very much viewed as a top 5 selection.
I'm pretty comfortable whichever way we go to be honest.
Phillipou has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft, being a 17 year old with the skillset he has.

If he slides to us, we have to pick him.

If Dodo trades their pick, then we need to nail him with pick 7.

Phillipou has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft, being a 17 year old with the skillset he has.

Could be the game-changing x-factor we’ve been crying out for. I’m all for getting another hard at it midfielder if that’s all that’s left - but if we have the chance for a kid with this kind of upside and the brashness to take the league on at his age, then we should not shy away from that opportunity.

If both Tsatas and Phillipou are available I would be leaning towards Tsatas due to his consistent high level performances, but it would be a very tight call. I love how Tsatas is prepared to back himself and take the game on consistently, which would compliment our current midfield mix. His kicking also appears to be reliable enough.

The thing that entices me most about Phillipou though is his long left foot kick, and his ability to play multiple positions. Something that has frustrated me a great deal over recent years is how few players we've had with the ability to kick a goal from 50 metres out, with many failing to kick the distance.

I feel that any of Tsatas, Phillipou, and Clark would help improve us. Then it will come down to improving our draft position through trading and seeing who slips through to our later picks.

Yes Tyler I would love to have Phillipou. I know Clark is the rational choice but I like the X-factor of Phillipou.

It reminds me of the 2020 draft. I wanted Hollands for his x-factor but we got the safe option of Granger-Barras.

Yes Tyler I would love to have Phillipou. I know Clark is the rational choice but I like the X-factor of Phillipou.

It reminds me of the 2020 draft. I wanted Hollands for his x-factor but we got the safe option of Granger-Barras.
if you pick again and both are available, who would you pick

If both Tsatas and Phillipou are available I would be leaning towards Tsatas due to his consistent high level performances, but it would be a very tight call. I love how Tsatas is prepared to back himself and take the game on consistently, which would compliment our current midfield mix. His kicking also appears to be reliable enough.

The thing that entices me most about Phillipou though is his long left foot kick, and his ability to play multiple positions. Something that has frustrated me a great deal over recent years is how few players we've had with the ability to kick a goal from 50 metres out, with many failing to kick the distance.

I feel that any of Tsatas, Phillipou, and Clark would help improve us. Then it will come down to improving our draft position through trading and seeing who slips through to our later picks.
It'll be one of the 2. Either way you can't lose.

The Clark whispers are just that. I just can't see us leaking that kind of info this far out from draft night. Unless we're trying to throw clubs off the scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back