Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the same thoughts on Banfield and he felt lucky to get another contract.

Thats why it was so intriguing when Gerard Healy was such a fan of him even before that game in Tasmania.

All I can say is that when you watch him in match practice he is one of our best options in the forward line. He presents and marks well and has one of the best kicks into the forward fifty.

With Sturt and Tracey not doing much at training, don’t be surprised if Banfield plays games early in the year again.

I think he just maybe a better option than I give him credit for.

I like this option.
All the talk of a big bodied mid to win the ball and play the defensive cover roll / protector, I don’t know why Banfeild isn’t mentioned.
I mean that’s the position he was drafted to play wasn’t it?
Instead he’s been used up forward and as a tagger.
And least he has 2 genuine positions.

Last edited:

I like this option.
All the talk of a big bodied mid to win the ball and play the defensive cover roll / protector, I don’t know why Banfeild isn’t mentioned.
I mean that’s the position he was drafted to play wasn’t it?
Instead he’s been used up forward and as a tagger.
And least he has 2 genuine positions.
Seems to have three - Forward, Tagger and Left Right Out.

Just rewatched Johnson's highlights video. Doesn't have elite pace but seems to always have time and space to dispose of the ball without getting called holding the ball. Reminds me of another rising star on our list - who was pick 19 so around the same mark, but in hindsight was worth a much much higher pick ;)
Yeah I thought the same but his combine results were outstanding. He was under 3 seconds for the 20m sprint and 3rd best nationally in agility.
Has the outside class that the coach was looking for, nice kicking skills, and compliments the midfield we are developing.

Colyer needs to learn to tackle. 2 tackles a game from a stacked small forward was a poor return last year. If we see a lot of Colyer this year we are in trouble again finalswise.

My view on Colyer 12 months ago: 'delist as soon as possible'

My view on Colyer now: 'he's handy depth and reportedly good for culture so happy for him to him to have a spot on the list, but we're not making finals if he's best 22 with everyone fit'

If he gets 6-7 games this year (especially with COVD meaning all teams are needing to use their whole list) then I'm fine with that and I am certain there are many many worse players on lists around the comp.

At the moment I only have Banfield in the 'delist as soon as possible' bucket - if we are thinking he is a forward, but hopeful he may be valuable depth as a run with player.

Attempt based on pre-season training thus far:

B: Logue, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Clark, Pearce, Young
C: Aish, Brayshaw, Henry
HF: Sturt, Cox, Switkowski
FF: Walters, Taberner, Lobb
F: Darcy, Fyfe, Serong

Int: Tucker, Schultz, Frederick, Chapman

Medi Sub: Mundy

Match selection committee are going to have some serious headaches if they have a full list to choose from. If Mundy is fit does he break into this side and replace Tucker? Does Cox play at CHF or CHB? If he's at CHB there's no place for Hamling, so have to weigh up if the team is better with this set up, or with perhaps Hamling playing at Peel with Treacy (or maybe even Banfield?) in the side? Having Cox at CHF makes balancing the side ever so slightly easier.

Colours indicate uncertainty with potential replacement in the same colour.

Available for selection: Treacy, Walker, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Brodie, Wilson, Johnson, Western, Benning, Acres, Amiss, Meek, Blakely, Crowden, Banfield, Worner, Hughes, Colyer.

Last edited:

Match selection committee are going to have some serious headaches if they have a full list to choose from. If Mundy is fit does he break into this side and replace Tucker? Does Cox play at CHF or CHB? If he's at CHB there's no place for Hamling, so have to weigh up if the team is better with this set up, or with perhaps Hamling playing at Peel with Treacy in the side? Having Cox at CHF makes balancing the side ever so slightly easier.

Available for selection: Treacy, Wilson, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Brodie, Johnson, Western, Benning, Acres, Amiss, Meek, Walker, Blakely, Crowden, Banfield, Worner, Hughes, Colyer.
So much of this puzzle is going to be based on who of Tabs, Treacy, Mundy, ... make it back from rehab to the main squad in the next month. Great problem to have though.

So much of this puzzle is going to be based on who of Tabs, Treacy, Mundy, ... make it back from rehab to the main squad in the next month. Great problem to have though.
Not really when Tabs and Treacy are pillars of our forwardline.

Match selection committee are going to have some serious headaches if they have a full list to choose from. If Mundy is fit does he break into this side and replace Tucker? Does Cox play at CHF or CHB? If he's at CHB there's no place for Hamling, so have to weigh up if the team is better with this set up, or with perhaps Hamling playing at Peel with Treacy (or maybe even Banfield?) in the side? Having Cox at CHF makes balancing the side ever so slightly easier.

Available for selection: Treacy, Walker, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Brodie, Wilson, Johnson, Western, Benning, Acres, Amiss, Meek, Blakely, Crowden, Banfield, Worner, Hughes, Colyer.

Enjoyed your views.

In my view from training, I would say that Hamling is still a long way from the form and fitness of our other KPD. I believe Cox will be the full back and he would only go forward if we had ridiculous injuries. It will probably do Hamling a lot of good to work his way into the season from Peel.

My Best 22 Best Guess Version 1
I like to do my best 22's of the team I believe that will be selected, not who I wish to be in the 22 (although I might do a second side series of what my preferred line up would be).
Basing this mainly off the wonderful pre-season reports written by the faithful who keep the light shining over the break between seasons (you guys are the real mvps), reports from the club and also off last years team selections when players were fit and who was preferred then.

I'll even chuck in some locks :lock: on players that people are debating over to either be called out on later and shut down for, or for me to shout from the rooftops of how great I am and all that jazz... so let's get into it!

FB- Logue, Cox :lock: , Ryan

HB- Clark :lock:, Pearce, Young

C - Tucker :lock:, Brayshaw, Aish

RR- Darcy, Serong, Fyfe

HF- Walters, Treacy, Switkowski

FF- Shultz, Taberner, Lobb

Int- Henry, Mundy, Wilson, Frederick

Sub- Chapman

Now for some explanations, starting with the backs:
I know, I know, Cox played forward in the sims and played well, I am a big advocate for him going forward but he is 100% locked into our backline, the fact he was manned on Hamling in the match sim he dominated assures me of where he sits and how Hamling is tracking. His intercepting and decision making off halfback plus his chemistry with Lukey boy and Logue has him locked in by Longmuir. Logue and Ryan locking down on the smalls and mediums respectively while still being able to zone off and impact the long kick in, also both being flexible enough for teams who play extra tall/resting rucks can matchup change to get the right fit.
Having Logue, Cox and Ryan all ready to zone off and intercept creates the basis of our gameplan, where once they take possession they will without doubt be looking to get hands onto the runners and kickers. Clark, Young and Wilson off the bench will be our key pieces here and unfortunately for everyone who had Clark lining up on a wing will have to swallow that pick 21 for a half back sized pill. We will look to rebound with pace and penetration, either making the 70 metre play (run 20 and kick 50) to Tabs and Lobby or changing angles and hitting players on the 45 degree inside corridor kick with at the ball presentation from our half forwards to then allow the overlap from our mids and other half backs to keep the chain moving.

Now why I see the selection of these midfielders as most likely is because they are all quite versatile and can rotate through several positions. I think this also includes our half forwards as well into this category. All of the players below will get a crack on the wing and in the guts throughout games this year.
Tucker- Flying this pre-season, can play both inside and outside winger, both inside and outside following midfielder.
Aish- Both inside and outside winger (preferred as the 'inside' winger last year), both inside and outside following midfielder, can cover half back flank as well, he won't be many people's favourite out there but Aish is exactly the type of 15-22 player you want in the team.
Brayshaw- Will be mainstay mid but can rotate the wings (did throughout last year), especially if he's getting a hard tag which he will be demanding.
Walters and Switta- Both will have their stints on the ball for x-factor, Switta as a chaos pressure and pacey get the ball moving forward type and Walters the outside receiver for elite kicking forward of centre and into the 50. Very limited time though as mentioned in a freo report, Walters want's to be the leader of the forward line.
Frederick and Henry- Both will be getting minutes out on the wing, Henry I think will get more judging from the coverage of his pre-season so far but Freddy will still get some involvement up the ground while others rest forward.

I think we will see Mundy continue to lower his TOG (not by much) and I think he will roll exclusively through the guts while Fyfe will be in guts predominantly and then CHF with what looks like a trimmed down more mobile body shape he should be able to get out in front on a lead more while resting forward. This versatility is something that JLo has definitely been adding to the team over the last couple of years, having that ability to 'rest' in other positions is huge strength of this team and it's something I think JLo plans to utilize (here's hoping it works :innocent:)

Our hot mess of a forward line, continuity is the only thing holding it back. Another year rolls by where I imagine 'if only' Sturt was having a complete pre-season, looks to have started late and still finding touch so I expect he will be working his way back in hence his omission.
Shooter is locked into our 22 with the heart and effort he brings, Tabs and Lobb are the no-brainers also, Tabs interrupted pre-season won't stop him playing rd1, looks on track to be in the community games and is our star forward. Expect to see Frederick used one out deep like Henry was last year, brings a bit more height and straight line pace.
Treacy get's the nod in the team even with his interrupted pre-season as I can't logically think of a reason why we wouldn't include a genuinely promising, highly mobile, aggressive and lead up young KPP with a booming set shot into the team. He will likely get low game time as Fyfe and Mundy get time resting up forward but his mobility it what allows us to play the 3 tall forward set up. I think Sturt, Banfield (pure luck we have no medium talls on the list so he might scrape a chance) and Treacy might be in and out for each other depending on form throughout the year even though they are different types, we might finally have the ability to test different game structures if injuries allow it.

Finally I threw Chappy the sub as I think he is just the next best player that won't make the cut and with the versatility of the team he can slot into the back half while other magnets get shifted.

So there you have it, my best attempt at a reasonable breakdown of what might occur come round 1. With the club setting some lofty goals and the expectation of the team to perform I think we will see experience get the nod over youth in a couple spots to start the year (Wilson and Aish) but any dips in performance will see them out. The next tier of players likely to get a look in if they perform at Peel would be: Chapman, Erasmus, Hamling, Walker, Sturt, Colyer, O'Driscoll, Meek and Brodie.

This leaves Crowden, Blakely, Hughes, Banfield, Blakely, Western and Acres in a bit of no mans land, going to need to perform at Peel and hope for some injuries to get a crack while Western, Benning, Amiss, Johnson and Worner are likely set for development years in the twos.

Will re-edit for round 2 before our community games and then a final 3rd version after the games and the season is about to start :moustache:

**Apologies for the essay, once I start talking Freo it's bloody hard to shut me up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to do my best 22's of the team I believe that will be selected, not who I wish to be in the 22 (although I might do a second side series of what my preferred line up would be).
Basing this mainly off the wonderful pre-season reports written by the faithful who keep the light shining over the break between seasons (you guys are the real mvps), reports from the club and also off last years team selections when players were fit and who was preferred then.

I'll even chuck in some locks :lock: on players that people are debating over to either be called out on later and shut down for, or for me to shout from the rooftops of how great I am and all that jazz... so let's get into it!

RR- Darcy, Serong, Fyfe

Sub- Chapman

I know, I know, Cox played forward in the sims and played well, I am a big advocate for him going forward but he is 100% locked into our backline, the fact he was manned on Hamling in the match sim he dominated assures me of where he sits and how Hamling is tracking. His intercepting and decision making off halfback plus his chemistry with Lukey boy and Logue has him locked in by Longmuir. Logue and Ryan locking down on the smalls and mediums respectively while still being able to zone off and impact the long kick in, also both being flexible enough for teams who play extra tall/resting rucks can matchup change to get the right fit.
Having Logue, Cox and Ryan all ready to zone off and intercept creates the basis of our gameplan, where once they take possession they will without doubt be looking to get hands onto the runners and kickers. Clark, Young and Wilson off the bench will be our key pieces here and unfortunately for everyone who had Clark lining up on a wing will have to swallow that pick 21 for a half back sized pill. We will look to rebound with pace and penetration, either making the 70 metre play (run 20 and kick 50) to Tabs and Lobby or changing angles and hitting players on the 45 degree inside corridor kick with at the ball presentation from our half forwards to then allow the overlap from our mids and other half backs to keep the chain moving.

Now why I see the selection of these midfielders as most likely is because they are all quite versatile and can rotate through several positions. I think this also includes our half forwards as well into this category. All of the players below will get a crack on the wing and in the guts throughout games this year.
Tucker- Flying this pre-season, can play both inside and outside winger, both inside and outside following midfielder.
Aish- Both inside and outside winger (preferred as the 'inside' winger last year), both inside and outside following midfielder, can cover half back flank as well, he won't be many people's favourite out there but Aish is exactly the type of 15-22 player you want in the team.
Brayshaw- Will be mainstay mid but can rotate the wings (did throughout last year), especially if he's getting a hard tag which he will be demanding.
Walters and Switta- Both will have their stints on the ball for x-factor, Switta as a chaos pressure and pacey get the ball moving forward type and Walters the outside receiver for elite kicking forward of centre and into the 50. Very limited time though as mentioned in a freo report, Walters want's to be the leader of the forward line.
Frederick and Henry- Both will be getting minutes out on the wing, Henry I think will get more judging from the coverage of his pre-season so far but Freddy will still get some involvement up the ground while others rest forward.

I think we will see Mundy continue to lower his TOG (not by much) and I think he will roll exclusively through the guts while Fyfe will be in guts predominantly and then CHF with what looks like a trimmed down more mobile body shape he should be able to get out in front on a lead more while resting forward. This versatility is something that JLo has definitely been adding to the team over the last couple of years, having that ability to 'rest' in other positions is huge strength of this team and it's something I think JLo plans to utilize (here's hoping it works :innocent:)

Our hot mess of a forward line, continuity is the only thing holding it back. Another year rolls by where I imagine 'if only' Sturt was having a complete pre-season, looks to have started late and still finding touch so I expect he will be working his way back in hence his omission.
Shooter is locked into our 22 with the heart and effort he brings, Tabs and Lobb are the no-brainers also, Tabs interrupted pre-season won't stop him playing rd1, looks on track to be in the community games and is our star forward. Expect to see Frederick used one out deep like Henry was last year, brings a bit more height and straight line pace.
Treacy get's the nod in the team even with his interrupted pre-season as I can't logically think of a reason why we wouldn't include a genuinely promising, highly mobile, aggressive and lead up young KPP with a booming set shot into the team. He will likely get low game time as Fyfe and Mundy get time resting up forward but his mobility it what allows us to play the 3 tall forward set up. I think Sturt, Banfield (pure luck we have no medium talls on the list so he might scrape a chance) and Treacy might be in and out for each other depending on form throughout the year even though they are different types, we might finally have the ability to test different game structures if injuries allow it.

Finally I threw Chappy the sub as I think he is just the next best player that won't make the cut and with the versatility of the team he can slot into the back half while other magnets get shifted.

So there you have it, my best attempt at a reasonable breakdown of what might occur come round 1. With the club setting some lofty goals and the expectation of the team to perform I think we will see experience get the nod over youth in a couple spots to start the year (Wilson and Aish) but any dips in performance will see them out. The next tier of players likely to get a look in if they perform at Peel would be: Chapman, Erasmus, Hamling, Walker, Sturt, Colyer, O'Driscoll, Meek and Brodie.

This leaves Crowden, Blakely, Hughes, Banfield, Blakely, Western and Acres in a bit of no mans land, going to need to perform at Peel and hope for some injuries to get a crack while Western, Benning, Amiss, Johnson and Worner are likely set for development years in the twos.

Will re-edit for round 2 before our community games and then a final 3rd version after the games and the season is about to start :moustache:

**Apologies for the essay, once I start talking Freo it's bloody hard to shut me up!
Love your post. Pretty amazing if Hamling and Chapman are depth. Both starting 22 quality.

RR- Darcy, Serong, Fyfe

Sub- Chapman

Great work, this is really well thought out and explained. I think you are pretty close too with only Treacy maybe wishful thinking for round 1.

The other one to mine who could still impact is Ethan Hughes. I think he could play as a defensive half forward although as it would be at the expense of a creative forward he would be a ‘horses for courses’ proposition depending on the oppo that week.

Love your post. Pretty amazing if Hamling and Chapman are depth. Both starting 22 quality.
I appreciate the appreciation! For Hamling, two years out of the game is a long long time, even it was Danger/Fyfe/Dusty, I would be letting them gain confidence in there body in the 2s before making the jump up to AFL. Chapman is a bit the same, he also is making his way back to competitive footy and out of all of our tall defenders, he's the one I believe would gain the most from holding down a post with Hamling at Peel before coming back in.
I imagine people would probably swap him in for Logue which would force Ryan to take the smalls which I can't imagine anyone would want him to be doing that.
Great work, this is really well thought out and explained. I think you are pretty close too with only Treacy maybe wishful thinking for round 1.

The other one to mine who could still impact is Ethan Hughes. I think he could play as a defensive half forward although as it would be at the expense of a creative forward he would be a ‘horses for courses’ proposition depending on the oppo that week.
With news of Treacy being back in full training next week I think(?), his off-season work would keep him ahead of Sturt. A good question too would be is Fyfe going to be going back to the guts like he talked about at the end of last season or has his infection and time grounded changed the midset as we clearly see he's fixed his kicking action and has a fluid routine to a set shot now. So Fyfe could be lining CHF and maybe Brodie/Erasmus get's the nod to come in.

Hey just thought I'd mention the likelihood of Adelaide going small in the forward line for round 1 is quite high, only 2 talls most likely weather that changes your backline structure I'm not sure, but definitely something to think about.

Hey just thought I'd mention the likelihood of Adelaide going small in the forward line for round 1 is quite high, only 2 talls most likely weather that changes your backline structure I'm not sure, but definitely something to think about.
Thanks for the heads up. Will pass it on to Justin.

I doubt we will muck around with structure too much, and a number of our talls are handy against smalls (Logue for example).

Within the best 22 a player such as Aish could also be switched it required to support our medium-small defenders. Young, Clark and Ryan would be part of the starting defence and are not talls.

If it did effect selection it would be the bench.

With news of Treacy being back in full training next week I think(?), his off-season work would keep him ahead of Sturt. A good question too would be is Fyfe going to be going back to the guts like he talked about at the end of last season or has his infection and time grounded changed the midset as we clearly see he's fixed his kicking action and has a fluid routine to a set shot now. So Fyfe could be lining CHF and maybe Brodie/Erasmus get's the nod to come in.
How To Use Fyfe? is a damn fine discussion point.

We lost Cerra, and that is a significant blow. But the talk is about Tucker replacing him. That's a likely downgrade, but it isn't a disaster.

There is also a high probability that Erasmus and Johnson are given opportunities, and likely in the Cerra role.

Inside, Brodie is at the least looking like an option. If that becomes more compelling the flexibility regarding Fyfe escalates. Plus we appear to be considering Rogers. No point recruiting plug and play players and not playing them.

That is a bunch of options, and with goal kicking being a training focus for Fyfe I suspect the forward mid balance to tip in that direction for the Captain.

This is going to be a very interesting year ladder wise.
I believe a number of the teams that have struggled will find form, including Hawthorn pushing
for the 8.

This is going to be a very interesting year ladder wise.
I believe a number of the teams that have struggled will find form, including Hawthorn pushing
for the 8.
If Hawks are pushing for 8, Mitchell is a genius. That list is doodoo and years from competing.

Bugger it, lets give the youth a shot.

Logue. Cox. Ryan
Young. Pearce. Clark
Freddy Fyfe. Aish.
Shooter. Treacy. Sturt
Switta. Tabs. Walters

Darcy. Brayshaw. Serong.

Int: Chapman, mundy, Walker Erasmus

- if you can’t tackle you don’t get a game.

- Walters gets 3 games gifted then he’s out the door for Johnson if not performing.

- No second ruck selected. Lobb can go back to Lancelin to build his parents cray fish extravaganza

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back