Logue. Cox. Ryan
Young. Pearce. Clark
Freddy Brodie. Henry.
Shooter. Treacy. Sturt
Switta. Tabs. Walters

Darcy. Brayshaw. Serong.

Int: Chapman, Meek, Walker Erasmus

Medical Sub; O'Driscoll
Got rid of a couple more aging dust collectors for you. Ol' Man Tabs hanging in there until Amiss hits the oval.

Chapman is a bit the same, he also is making his way back to competitive footy and out of all of our tall defenders, he's the one I believe would gain the most from holding down a post with Hamling at Peel before coming back in.
I imagine people would probably swap him in for Logue which would force Ryan to take the smalls which I can't imagine anyone would want him to be doing that.
Chappy and Griff are listed at the same height and I think JL is on record this pre-season saying that Chappy has put on enough size to hold down a key position at a stretch. No reason why Chappy can't play the exact same role that Logue does as almost a straight swap.

I don't know that I want to drop Griff tbh, minus the Cat-10s he is becoming a really solid player. Maybe Chappy comes in for Wilson?

Hawthorn? What about the Hawks makes you think they will push for the 8?

I would be surprised if the do better than 14th.
New coach is a golden boy + has the players attention, Sicily is back + Jackson Callow
is going to play.
Thats to start.

Chappy and Griff are listed at the same height and I think JL is on record this pre-season saying that Chappy has put on enough size to hold down a key position at a stretch. No reason why Chappy can't play the exact same role that Logue does as almost a straight swap.

I don't know that I want to drop Griff tbh, minus the Cat-10s he is becoming a really solid player. Maybe Chappy comes in for Wilson?
I believe Logue wont be playing as a key defender, and with JL noting that Chapman's size is good for a key post I just think they are going to be playing different roles. Not saying Chapman couldn't play small, he is quick, smart and agile but athletically Logue would still pip him while also having previous form in locking down smalls (Charlie Cameron most notably).

Also a side note to this is the expectation on the team to be in the finals hunt, no longer should we be giving development games out. Each week should be the team picked with the best chance of winning and any sub-par performers should be dropped. So this would be another reason why I would have Logue ahead of Chapman but I agree that if Logue keeps up the cat-10s then Chappy should get a look in. I would guess Walker is the next man up for Wilson if we see any of those pathetic defensive efforts.

How To Use Fyfe? is a damn fine discussion point.

We lost Cerra, and that is a significant blow. But the talk is about Tucker replacing him. That's a likely downgrade, but it isn't a disaster.

There is also a high probability that Erasmus and Johnson are given opportunities, and likely in the Cerra role.

Inside, Brodie is at the least looking like an option. If that becomes more compelling the flexibility regarding Fyfe escalates. Plus we appear to be considering Rogers. No point recruiting plug and play players and not playing them.

That is a bunch of options, and with goal kicking being a training focus for Fyfe I suspect the forward mid balance to tip in that direction for the Captain.
It really is hard to call what he might do, Tucker does look prime to fill Cerra's role but maybe more wing time. As always it's never really simple to lay it out, I imagine it will be a shared load and purely speculating here I'd guess Fyfe get's a 60-40 split mid-fwd, even if he's confident with his set shots he would still want a good showing in the guts.

If Hawks are pushing for 8, Mitchell is a genius. That list is doodoo and years from competing.

They’ve publicly committed to a rebuild which basically means they’ve excepted their list is dogsh** and needs an injection of talent.

Clarkson was seen as one of the best ever coaches and couldn’t get Hawthorn to the top eight the last three seasons.

I’m not sure they’re a genuine spoon contender like others are saying but I sure as hell don’t think they’ll finish anywhere near the top eight.

I'm going to pick one for our practice match in just over 2 weeks against the slime.

Assuming, Fyfe, Mundy, Treacy unavailable. Expect Tabs to play. No idea if Amiss is fit. Haven't seen Aish lately? Obviously no Johnson

Ryan Pearce Hamling
Clark Cox Young
Henry Tucker Chapman
Freddy Lobb Sturt
Walters Tabs Shultz

R - Darcy Brayshaw Serong
I - Erasmus Switta Logue Brodie

Extended IC which I'm pretty sure they'll have
Acres Banfield Blakely Hughes Meek O'Driscoll Crowden Walker Wilson

Bloody hell, good luck picking 22 when Fyfe & Mundy available.
I can't get players I want in like Wilson, Walker, O'Driscoll even now & I assume Aish is still best 22.

I'm going to pick one for our practice match in just over 2 weeks against the slime.

Assuming, Fyfe, Mundy, Treacy unavailable. Expect Tabs to play. No idea if Amiss is fit. Haven't seen Aish lately? Obviously no Johnson

Ryan Pearce Hamling
Clark Cox Young
Henry Tucker Chapman
Freddy Lobb Sturt
Walters Tabs Shultz

I can't get players I want in like Wilson, Walker, O'Driscoll even now & I assume Aish is still best 22.
Nice one. I'll have a crack:

Logue Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Young
O'Driscoll Brodie Tucker
Freddie Lobb Colyer
Walters Tabs Schultz

Darcy Brayshaw Serong
Walker, Erasmus, Switta, Henry

Had to edit this - watching O'Driscoll, the kid deserves his chance over Acres.

Last edited:
They’ve publicly committed to a rebuild which basically means they’ve excepted their list is dogsh** and needs an injection of talent.

Clarkson was seen as one of the best ever coaches and couldn’t get Hawthorn to the top eight the last three seasons.

I’m not sure they’re a genuine spoon contender like others are saying but I sure as hell don’t think they’ll finish anywhere near the top eight.
I wouldn't put it past Hawthorn to focus on development at the expense of ladder position and thereby maximise their draft position.

Ryan Pearce Hamling
Clark Cox Young
Henry Tucker Chapman
Freddy Lobb Sturt
Walters Tabs Shultz

Ooh I like that centreline/followers mix :thumbsupemoji: :thumbsupemoji:

From SEN:

FREMANTLE'S DEPTH CHART, STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES IN 2022

BY NIC NEGREPONTIS A DAY AGO

Fremantle is in an interesting position going into the 2022 season, after a year on the edge of the finals bubble but ultimately not quite good enough.

They were ravaged by injuries last year across the board and, starting in the backline, they will be hoping for a full season at least having Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling available, though the emergence of Brennan Cox and Griffin Logue gives them decent key position depth.

Jordan Clark joins from Geelong and will provide depth either across half-back or through the midfield, while the Dockers will be hoping Hayden Young gets an extended run at it to show off his immense talent. Brandon Walker emerged late in the season playing as a lockdown small defender and Luke Ryan remains a rock.

The loss of Adam Cerra is a blow to a developing midfield core given he was clearly a key long-term piece alongside Nathan Fyfe, Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong … and of course David Mundy who has at least five years left in him.

Freo fleeced Gold Coast in a trade that allowed them to essentially turn a 2022 second round pick into Will Brodie and pick 19, which became local midfielder Matt Johnson. Brodie is a former top 10 draftee who is essentially a free hit, while Johnson and Neil Erasmus will hopefully eventually replace Cerra, and then some.

They will need more from the likes of Darcy Tucker, Blake Acres, Connor Blakely and potentially Liam Henry through the midfield given their lack of overall depth.

The Dockers could not be more settled in the ruck thanks to Sean Darcy’s emergence as one of the league’s dominant big men. Rory Lobb can pinch-hit and fill the role if Darcy is out, while Lloyd Meek is also an option.

On paper, Fremantle’s best forward line can certainly kick a winning score, but as with their other lines, injuries plagued them in 2021. Matt Taberner is a proven commodity, Lobb and Josh Treacy provide marking options, Fyfe and Michael Walters will likely play more forward and can bob up in big moments and Sam Sturt still hasn’t had a decent run at it.

Jye Amiss was another top draft pick from this year and will be a long-term key forward prospect if it all comes together.

Fremantle has the pieces to be a finals team in 2022 with a few provisos. They need Fyfe back to his best form; they need their key forwards to stay healthy and they need one of their three top draftees to emerge out of the box.

Someone like Brodie or Clark or Young taking the next step would also go a long way, while Henry could be the story of the season on the wing if it all comes together for him.

DEFENDERS
Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Jordan Clark, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue, Nathan Wilson, Brandon Walker, Ethan Hughes, Heath Chapman.

MIDFIELDERS
Nathan Fyfe, Andrew Brayshaw, Caleb Serong, David Mundy, Blake Acres, James Aish, Darcy Tucker, Will Brodie, Travis Colyer, Connor Blakely, Joel Western, Matt Johnson, Neil Erasmus, Nathan O’Driscoll, Karl Worner.

RUCK
Sean Darcy, Lloyd Meek.

FORWARDS
Matthew Taberner, Rory Lobb, Liam Henry, Michael Walters, Josh Treacy, Lachlan Schultz, Sam Sturt, Sam Switkowski, Bailey Banfield, Mitchell Crowden, Jye Amiss, Minairo Frederick, Eric Benning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway my version

Chapman. Hamling. Ryan
Young Pearce Cox
Frederick Brayshaw Aish
Walters Treacy Tucker
Schulz Tabs Mundy

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Bench: Lobb Colyer Switkowski Walker
Fantastic to see Hamling locked in there and looking like a weapon during the match sim. Really exciting to have him back.

Anyway my version

Chapman. Hamling. Ryan
Young Pearce Cox
Frederick Brayshaw Aish
Walters Treacy Tucker
Schulz Tabs Mundy

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Bench: Lobb Colyer Switkowski Walker

Nothing wrong with that team but it will be hard to keep out Logue and Clark. Logue was probably BOG in the match sim and Clark’s speed when combined with Henry and Colyer is very exciting and something you would want to keep in the team. The obvious next question is who would you leave out and that would be Hamling (let him build into the season after 2 years out) and Walker who just has not done anywhere as much as the others in preseason so far.

Agreed that Chapman will play round one, I am just not sure in what position as he is a real utility, he is turning into a weapon this preseason.

Could a Young or Chapman play a defensive wing similar to Angus Brayshaw at Melbourne ? So you can fit another strong defender in that back 6?

I think Clark will be a weapon but haven't seen enough of him to choose someone to leave out for him.

Biggest problem with these best 22 is who leave out.

I think Meek, O'Driscoll and Erasmus will also feature prominently. Think Meek is probably where Darcy wad at the beginning of 2021. Also couldn't fit in Wilson, he'll have to be careful Clark doesn't go past him.

From SEN:

FREMANTLE'S DEPTH CHART, STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES IN 2022

BY NIC NEGREPONTIS A DAY AGO

Fremantle is in an interesting position going into the 2022 season, after a year on the edge of the finals bubble but ultimately not quite good enough.

They were ravaged by injuries last year across the board and, starting in the backline, they will be hoping for a full season at least having Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling available, though the emergence of Brennan Cox and Griffin Logue gives them decent key position depth.

Jordan Clark joins from Geelong and will provide depth either across half-back or through the midfield, while the Dockers will be hoping Hayden Young gets an extended run at it to show off his immense talent. Brandon Walker emerged late in the season playing as a lockdown small defender and Luke Ryan remains a rock.

The loss of Adam Cerra is a blow to a developing midfield core given he was clearly a key long-term piece alongside Nathan Fyfe, Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong … and of course David Mundy who has at least five years left in him.

Freo fleeced Gold Coast in a trade that allowed them to essentially turn a 2022 second round pick into Will Brodie and pick 19, which became local midfielder Matt Johnson. Brodie is a former top 10 draftee who is essentially a free hit, while Johnson and Neil Erasmus will hopefully eventually replace Cerra, and then some.

They will need more from the likes of Darcy Tucker, Blake Acres, Connor Blakely and potentially Liam Henry through the midfield given their lack of overall depth.

The Dockers could not be more settled in the ruck thanks to Sean Darcy’s emergence as one of the league’s dominant big men. Rory Lobb can pinch-hit and fill the role if Darcy is out, while Lloyd Meek is also an option.

On paper, Fremantle’s best forward line can certainly kick a winning score, but as with their other lines, injuries plagued them in 2021. Matt Taberner is a proven commodity, Lobb and Josh Treacy provide marking options, Fyfe and Michael Walters will likely play more forward and can bob up in big moments and Sam Sturt still hasn’t had a decent run at it.

Jye Amiss was another top draft pick from this year and will be a long-term key forward prospect if it all comes together.

Fremantle has the pieces to be a finals team in 2022 with a few provisos. They need Fyfe back to his best form; they need their key forwards to stay healthy and they need one of their three top draftees to emerge out of the box.

Someone like Brodie or Clark or Young taking the next step would also go a long way, while Henry could be the story of the season on the wing if it all comes together for him.

DEFENDERS
Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Hayden Young, Brennan Cox, Jordan Clark, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue, Nathan Wilson, Brandon Walker, Ethan Hughes, Heath Chapman.

MIDFIELDERS
Nathan Fyfe, Andrew Brayshaw, Caleb Serong, David Mundy, Blake Acres, James Aish, Darcy Tucker, Will Brodie, Travis Colyer, Connor Blakely, Joel Western, Matt Johnson, Neil Erasmus, Nathan O’Driscoll, Karl Worner.

RUCK
Sean Darcy, Lloyd Meek.

FORWARDS
Matthew Taberner, Rory Lobb, Liam Henry, Michael Walters, Josh Treacy, Lachlan Schultz, Sam Sturt, Sam Switkowski, Bailey Banfield, Mitchell Crowden, Jye Amiss, Minairo Frederick, Eric Benning.
Really good work, but I don’t like the midfield and forward lists.
Banfield, Crowden, are midfielders.
Erasmus should be a forward ATM, and Colyer, Western high forwards?

Really good work, but I don’t like the midfield and forward lists.
Banfield, Crowden, are midfielders.
Erasmus should be a forward ATM, and Colyer, Western high forwards?
I am sure that they remain versatile but so far in all match sims Erasmus is in the midfield, they also seem to have settled on Frederick high forward after trialing him on the wing (wing preferences are Henry, O’Driscoll, Acres and Tucker). Acres has actually been quite impressive and is a chance of starting round one on a wing (I had just about written him off).

I am sure that they remain versatile but so far in all match sims Erasmus is in the midfield, they also seem to have settled on Frederick high forward after trialing him on the wing (wing preferences are Henry, O’Driscoll, Acres and Tucker). Acres has actually been quite impressive and is a chance of starting round one on a wing (I had just about written him off).

Acres has had seven years in the system and hasn't yet been able to establish himself as a decent AFL player. I realise that we're weak in the wing positions but if he's still a strong chance of getting one of the spots, we're going nowhere and to be frank, it's a sad indictment that the club haven't been able to improve our prospects in that area of the ground.
Having said that, Acres always looks good early when the intensity isn't what it is in the real stuff so I shouldn't worry.

My B22 for round one if all fit:

Pearce Ryan Hamling
Young Chapman Clark

Brashaw Darcy Serong
Mundy Fyfe Erasmus

Switta Schultz Walters
Lobb Treacy Tabbs

Wingers: Henry, Aish
Bench: Cox, Colyer

Ideally Clark and Switta will rotate through the middle. Next in line to debut would be O'Driscoll. Logue the emergency.

For the 2 pre-season games v WC, anyone think Longmuir will choose not to field his overall best side (whatever that might be) and instead play 2 different versions of our final side, at least as far as various wing/half back/small forward possies go?

From memory (happy to be corrected) he did this, more or less, last year or year before against Weags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back