List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm literally the one thinking about longer term! If we were to bring in some talls this year, we have more chance that they can play a role in 2024 onwards (when we will have lost a bunch of existing talls), than if we don't. We have heaps of younger guys in other areas, or at least the other areas don't have impending retirements. There is no point us having them raring to go, challenging for the next 5 years, if after next year we struggle in key position areas and the ruck, because we cop a single injury or suspension. I'm talking about having all areas of the team ready to challenge consistently, or at giving us our best shot.

Otherwise, we have our smalls who are good enough to challenge for flags for the next 3-5 years (or longer). But if we lose Buddy, Hickey, probably Reid and maybe Rampe next year, along with Melican, Gould, Amartey and McLean who all only have 1 year on their contracts. We just don't seem to have anything like that problem for the non talls. I do not understand how people don't see this as a pressing issue for our ability to stay in the flag window.

We don't have to fix everything in one off season like you think we have to though, there has to be a middle ground somewhere, especially when you are targeting talls in a draft very few rate aside from Cadman really. In any other year not sure Barnett is near a first round selection. I do get what you are saying but it's just unlucky that the raft of tall options just have flat out gone backwards, honestly apart from Cadman none did much at all, maybe Jefferson but he's likely gone too at our selection.

I do think we take a tall, it might be Barnett so that will please you Don't think the other selections in the ND will be tall. Think we'll do two smaller types, even a Brayden George as that HF type could be an option.

We won't take 3 taels in a draft like this, that's just asking to flop every pick, you might if lucky get 1 from 3.

We don't have to fix everything in one off season like you think we have to though, there has to be a middle ground somewhere, especially when you are targeting talls in a draft very few rate aside from Cadman really. In any other year not sure Barnett is near a first round selection. I do get what you are saying but it's just unlucky that the raft of tall options just have flat out gone backwards, honestly apart from Cadman none did much at all, maybe Jefferson but he's likely gone too at our selection.

I do think we take a tall, it might be Barnett so that will please you Don't think the other selections in the ND will be tall. Think we'll do two smaller types, even a Brayden George as that HF type could be an option.

We won't take 3 taels in a draft like this, that's just asking to flop every pick, you might if lucky get 1 from 3.
You have a short memory. I am not advocating that we fix everything in one off season. We could have done more in past off seasons. I recall last year you arguing the same line "oh next year will be better, we'll stock up on talls then".

Every draft pick is a risk. If we took 3 talls and only 1 or 2 worked out, that's going to give us a better shot at a more consistent, longer flag window, than taking 3 mids (again) imo. And since we need talls more than smalls, that's a risk I'm happy for us to take.

And as I've said, I don't care where we pick them, if we get 1 tall in the ND, then rookie a couple, fine, I have faith in our recruiters to find value, I would just like them to consider needs higher than they seem to (or are likely to). We'll see what happens anyway.

You have a short memory. I am not advocating that we fix everything in one off season. We could have done more in past off seasons. I recall last year you arguing the same line "oh next year will be better, we'll stock up on talls then".

Every draft pick is a risk. If we took 3 talls and only 1 or 2 worked out, that's going to give us a better shot at a more consistent, longer flag window, than taking 3 mids (again) imo. And since we need talls more than smalls, that's a risk I'm happy for us to take.

It was meant to be unfortunately the talls have been terrible this season. They haven’t come on it happens and you have to run with the punches.

You won’t get 3 talls you might get us taking 1 and then a hybrid mid who could play tall if need be.

The mids have come on better, even more so than usual years. Give us two potential A grade mids over 3 C standard talls. If we take 3 mids I’m okay with it

It was meant to be unfortunately the talls have been terrible this season. They haven’t come on it happens and you have to run with the punches.

You won’t get 3 talls you might get us taking 1 and then a hybrid mid who could play tall if need be.

The mids have come on better, even more so than usual years. Give us two potential A grade mids over 3 C standard talls. If we take 3 mids I’m okay with it
If we were to get Hustwaite and say Barnett or Keeler, I'd probably be happy with whatever else we do. I have preferences, but that would cover off some key needs.

I get that our guys have cast some doubt on talls again, but you'll see the talls that are being talked about around our picks onwards until about pick 30 odd, all get picked up, and they'll probably have a hit rate as good as the mids/smalls that get picked up in the same ranges. The talls have not been terrible, there are a bunch that are being talked about in the top 30.

Some of our best mids in recent history have been picks in the 20s, 30s, 40s. And yet there's a pre-occupation at using our higher draft picks on mids, rather than picking up the best talls possible first (to reduce the likelihood they are "C graders") and then still getting value on mids later. I get that some might want to be seen to maximise precious "draft capital" or build a great fantasy footy team though.

I've looked at a few mock drafts and have to say, can't see any of the prospective picks making an impact on our team within the next couple of years. We already have Campbell, Gould, Cunningham, Sheldrick, Roberts and Wicks on the fringe of our best 22. Just can't see any of the guys beyond pick 10 surpassing the guys listed in the short term. In the last few years, draft time has been really exciting for us, with genuine, best 22 prospects on the table. Who could forget the year we took McDonald, Campbell and Gulden?

I guess it's just a reflection on the overall strong state of our roster. If we can find a "diamond in the rough" ruck (most probably from rookie draft or preseason), I suspect we will go with draftees who are assessed as having the most upside over those who may be more ready made to play first team footy.

Two potential A grade mids who might play stuff all games for us and be out the door by the time they're 23/24?

Two potential A grade mids who might play stuff all games for us and be out the door by the time they're 23/24?

Which is likely better than a C-D grade tall that won’t make the grade. If the recruiters don’t rate the tall options that gives you a clue

Since the starting 22 is pretty settled it might be a good opportunity to take the pressure off Brayden George needing to hit the ground running after his recovery. We've got plenty of players who can cover in the forward line so he wouldn't be required straight away. Could be a bit of a steal if we can pinch him considering where he was predicted to be going earlier in the season.

Would be nice to get some genuine height and athleticism with a Harry Barnett to fill out probably our weakest position in the rucks.

Yeah I don't think they're a gun duo. But they were a point off a Grand Final. Frampton went from ruck, to fwd/ruck, to KPD. What I'm saying is though, that they have some backup/depth. They may well go for a ruck and it might be Barnett. I just don't see them as needing a ruck more than we do. I think we do, and fairly urgently.

Maybe the club intends on bringing in Edwards from the academy as a rookie pick, and then a mature ager next year as the backup for Ladhams while McAndrew in particular develops. Who knows. I'm generally of the opinion that you fill needs when you can, rather than assume it'll happen next year.

Ladhams has shown promise, I don't know if he'll be a consistent top ruck though. And he is only one person.
Personally I don’t mind the idea of a mature age Ruck this year and Edwards in as one of the rookies

I would use our first two in the national draft on impactful players ideally with some size

My list would be Allen Cowan George Humphreys Hustwaite - realistically only 4 of those 5 would be available possibly and as mentioned before I don’t consider Hustwaite a X factor game breaking impactful player - he will probably develop Into a solid regular contributor but nothing fancy and we already have our contributors - in my opinion we need the cream now - especially with our first two

With our third pick - go tall and with the remaining rookie / cat B - go tall

Minimum 196cm + and fast agile

One 200cm + player would be good also Eg the mature Ruck

Personally I don’t mind the idea of a mature age Ruck this year and Edwards in as one of the rookies

I would use our first two in the national draft on impactful players ideally with some size

My list would be Allen Cowan George Humphreys Hustwaite - realistically only 4 of those 5 would be available possibly and as mentioned before I don’t consider Hustwaite a X factor game breaking impactful player - he will probably develop Into a solid regular contributor but nothing fancy and we already have our contributors - in my opinion we need the cream now - especially with our first two

With our third pick - go tall and with the remaining rookie / cat B - go tall

Minimum 196cm + and fast agile

One 200cm + player would be good also Eg the mature Ruck
If we rate a mature ager ruck (with our 3rd pick), and are going to rookie Edwards, then that would satisfy the ruck and KPD needs. I still think if there's others we rate better, available earlier, we should look to take them, but if not, that's fine.

Personally I still think a mid and KPF with our 2 x 1st rounders would be in order. Given there's not really a KPF likely to be rated/available around those 2 picks though, I'd just as sooner draft Barnett and it could free up our 3rd pick for something else.

E.g.

17 - Hustwaite/Allan/Ginbey/Hewett for me
20 - Barnett
41 - probably wouldn't care what we did if the other 3 picks happen like this, unlikely to be any KPFs
Rookie - Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their is a whole bunch of players that will be available in our 40s pick who have decent potential

Several good prospects here - I like Luke Teal - old man was a ex swan and kid had a good rep coming into the year but was ruined via injury

I like Jaiden Magor here

Their is a couple here that I like with late ND or rookie picks

Aside from Edwards

Little , Eyres , Marshall , phillips , Draper

Fan of Weddle and Tom McCallum but doubt Weddle will be available and both are inbetweeners

Would toy with the idea of putting In a bid for Madden GWS (not sure how that would work with bids in the 40s under the new rules)

Fans of Lemmey and Knobel(I think his dad would have told him what’s required and he would be a bit more educated than kids without afl experienced parent - Rookie Pick would be great)

Keeler at 41 would be awesome

Bradtke as a rookie would be amazing

Scully as a rookie fills that forward Ruck role has size and speed

Their is a couple here that I like with late ND or rookie picks

Aside from Edwards

Little , Eyres , Marshall , phillips , Draper

Fan of Weddle and Tom McCallum but doubt Weddle will be available and both are inbetweeners

Would toy with the idea of putting In a bid for Madden GWS (not sure how that would work with bids in the 40s under the new rules)

Fans of Lemmey and Knobel(I think his dad would have told him what’s required and he would be a bit more educated than kids without afl experienced parent - Rookie Pick would be great)

Keeler at 41 would be awesome

Bradtke as a rookie would be amazing

Scully as a rookie fills that forward Ruck role has size and speed
If we keep our current picks, Weddle and Keeler will be long gone at 41.

The inability to match bids under Pick 40 is for NGA kids, not Northern Academies. So GWS can match wherever.

I think we need to be mindful that if we don't grab who we want by pick 41, that since we have the 2nd last pick in the rookie draft, although a few clubs will be re-drafting existing players, we're not likely to get the best rookies.

100%
Alternative to Allan is Hustwaite.
Big body, pinpoint disposal.
But no athletic traits apparently.
So is he a tall Pendles, or a RCD type bust? I wouldn't take that chance with our first pick. Maybe our second, but then that's where the ruck is that I want.

But no athletic traits apparently.
So is he a tall Pendles, or a RCD type bust? I wouldn't take that chance with our first pick. Maybe our second, but then that's where the ruck is that I want.
Does everyone in the team need to be quick? It's said that he has great vision, clean hands, is a good kick, and agile (which I'd have thought was classed as an athletic trait), even though he isn't quick (like Pendles).

I'd go Hustwaite over Allan, he's done more this year.

Does everyone in the team need to be quick? It's said that he has great vision, clean hands, is a good kick, and agile (which I'd have thought was classed as an athletic trait), even though he isn't quick (like Pendles).

I'd go Hustwaite over Allan, he's done more this year.

Well it's said you cannot teach height, or speed. So I don't mind grabbing Allen as he has both.
Can't say I've watched any of them on more than 3 minute highlight reels, so I'm just going of write ups on the type of players they are.

I take your point, some fantastic players around aren't particularly quick, but I think the way the game is heading ATM - speed and size are growing even more as precious commodities. Hustwaite will be available at our second pick by the look, just a matter of whether the club see Roberts from last year being anthing maybe? Probably too early for them to tell.

GWS will probably grab the ruck before our second pick anyways. P-ricks have half the first round. Again. So if we got Allen and Hustwaite that wouldn't be terrible. Odds are we grab two mids, so if they are both tall with different characteristics that might be useful given our plethora of shorties in midfield.

Geelong now rumoured (in the West Australian) to be strongly considering Ed Allan at Pick 7.

Don't think we're going to get a look-in unless there's a trade-up to be had.
If Allen goes at 7

Then others will slide

We could have someone unexpected available at 14 and 18

This draft is so even from about 5 onwards

Especially 10 to 25 very little difference

Interesting (paywalled) CODEsports article on the drafting process from Steve Johnson.

Focuses on his time coaching at Sydney.

Not allowed to post the whole article, so some snippets;
Every club does it differently when it comes to the division of draft powers. I think Sydney’s model struck a good balance, empowering coaches to form part of the process while ensuring the people who know best ultimately make the decisions.

In the lead up to every draft, the entire coaching panel assembled for a crash course in that year’s prospects.

Kinnear and his team prepared a draft dossier on approximately 70-odd youngsters. They then ran us through a heap of video. They looked at every player’s strengths and weaknesses on the footy field, but also chatted about their family background, coaches and school teachers’ insight, personality, other interests, any red flags and more.

It was the year that we drafted Elijah Taylor
The kid had so much skill and the upside was undeniably immense, but there were some concerns raised. Obviously nobody could forecast what sadly ended up happening, but the recurring question in that room was whether Taylor could carve out an AFL career.

Forthright debate unfolded.

Holistic approach;
You might have five or six recruiters working for the club, scouring the country. Then there’s the development coaches and welfare aspect of it after the draft; clubs spend big trying to make you feel comfortable and at home. Clubs will have opinions about which recruits might bring out the best in each other, who might be a good mentor for each draftee, how best to approach coaching this kid.

This was another strength of the Swans’ system.

Kinnear would ask coaches for their opinion on potential draftees during those sessions. You might give encouraging feedback or make some minor observation about a player.

Then that kid gets drafted. Suddenly you already feel like you’ve contributed to it happening, that you already have a connection (even though I’m quite certain it wasn’t my opinion that got Justin McInerney across the line!).

Stevie J, the philosopher;
The draft is a weird mix of art, science and business for clubs. It is also important that we recognise that these are, for the most part, teenagers under immense pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back