List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG - secret to the universe pick!:eekv1::laughv1:

Hey you never know what magic beans can get you! Whatever our third is, happy to gamble on some tall. Go with the smaller types unless Busslinger/Hustwaithe are there at 14.

At 42 or whatever we’d surely be interested but Adelaide scares me with these SA kids!
Because of one player, who left after a Covid impacted year? We've had plenty of SA players in the past (Crouch, Grundy, Fosdike, Hewett etc), and several still (Gould, Hayward, we didn't get scared into not picking Roberts), without much issue.

Because of one player, who left after a Covid impacted year? We've had plenty of SA players in the past (Crouch, Grundy, Fosdike, Hewett etc), and several still (Gould, Hayward, we didn't get scared into not picking Roberts), without much issue.

Maybe so but I’d rather other areas to target personally especially talls where you put work into development massively

I don't get your point. So you're saying we should only draft talls from NSW? Yeah, let's see how that works out.

Country Vic would be the ideal area actually. Metro no thanks. Have yo be careful with talls as it is clubs come looking

Clubs will come looking for anyone with promise. Whether they are tall makes no difference.

Talls take longer to develop- that’s the point. We need to be careful where we target these from personally blacklist all players from Metro unless their talent is so much more than the alternative and you’d be gambling. Metro kids more likely to want to go home

I honestly reckon if Beatson & Dalrymple looked at this board and saw us all bickering over who is riskier, SA kids or WA kids, Vic Metro or Vic Country kids, they'd think we're absolute loons.

I don't know why but Beatson strikes me as the sort who one finger types and only uses Internet Explorer as it came with the computer.

I don't know why but Beatson strikes me as the sort who one finger types and only uses Internet Explorer as it came with the computer.

Insert the Simpson episode with fat Homer lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talls take longer to develop- that’s the point. We need to be careful where we target these from personally blacklist all players from Metro unless their talent is so much more than the alternative and you’d be gambling. Metro kids more likely to want to go home
Pulling this one up from a month ago, from caesar88 . I think we concluded that Rankin is also from Vic Metro.

I'll also add the talls we lost were from Tassie (Nankervis) and WA (Cameron), they went to Vic. There just wasn't the opportunity for Nank at the time, so what do we do there, just never have backups or a pipeline because we're afraid we'll lose them, and Cameron didn't appear good enough.

Do you have evidence to suggest Vic Metro players are more likely to request a trade out of Sydney than anyone else?

Over the last decade, we've lost three players because of homesickness - Lewis Jetta, Zak Jones and Jordan Dawson.

A Victorian (from Vic Country, not from Vic Metro), a South Australian, and a West Australian.

Based on the number of players we've had on our list from those states, we've lost 10% of our WA players and 9.1% of our SA players to homesickness, as opposed to 2.3% of our Victorian players.

If you want to go further, removing all reasons for trades - be it homesickness, money, opportunities - we've lost 27.3% of our Victorian players, which is more than our SA players (18.2%), but less than our WA players (30%).

In the last decade we've lost only one player from Vic Metro, and it was Dan Hannebery, who we traded out on our own accord, but not before he'd played 200 games, won a premiership, 3 All Australians and served in the leadership group as Vice Captain with us.

Of our current players, four are from Vic Metro - Hayden McLean, Ryan Clarke, Ollie Florent and James Rowbottom. All four played in our grand final team, two of them are contracted to 2024, and one of them could end up our captain one day. I'd say we're going OK with Vic Metro players.

Other clubs might struggle with Victorian players. It doesn't apply to us. Move on.

let it go GIF

This lad. Any knowledge on why they moved him down back?

Not sure really, it’s a bit odd. Seems to have potential, maybe just needs to be in the right environment to realise it.

At 42 or whatever we’d surely be interested but Adelaide scares me with these SA kids!
I can’t see why he’d be any more of a “flight risk” than any other player we might be looking at picking up at that point. And if there were then I’d back our system to make him to want to stay.

First topic: who will we take at our first pick....

We can agree (I think) that we can definitely rule out: Ashcroft, Cadman, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Humphrey, Clark, Mackenzie

Pretty likely gone: Phillipou, Ginbey, Busslinger, (I'd be happy to take any of these if they slipped through)

After that possibilities include: Hollands, Hustwaite, Allan, Hewett, Hotton, Konstanty, Jones, Jefferson, Hayes, Weddle, Hotton, George, Cowan.

How confident can we be that our first pick will be one of these names? 90%? 99%?

Of these, are there any that we rule out? If so, why?

I think Konstanty and Jones may be good players and they could play a role we could use but they are not priority needs and I doubt they will be best available so I'm tempted to rule them out.

I have fluctuated in my feelings about Jefferson and Hayes: they are both Vic Metro kids and I was a bit concerned when I saw that Hayes was unable to finish the time trial. But they both fit our needs well. Jefferson is a KPF and they're hard to get and an area of need for us plus he's a different type to Logan McDonald (more of a marking target). I'd be happy for us to take Jefferson if he gets to us. Hayes offers genuine height (199 cm), speed, and has a December birthday. Somehow I can't see us recruiting Hayes, and I think Jefferson will probably be gone. However, if we do draft one of them, I'll back our recruiters to have made a savvy choice and be relieved that a key position need is hopefully taken care of for the forseeable future.

Of the rest I'm leaning to Hustwaite or Allan - I hope we get one of those two. And I think at least one of them (or Jefferson, or one of those I said would pretty likely be gone) will be available.

Second topic: pick trades I'd be interested in

1. Trading our second first rounder to Essendon for pick 22 and their future second (and maybe throwing in a little something extra to get the deal over the line)

2. Trading our second first rounder to Collingwood for their picks 25 & 27 (apparently they're interested to get a pick inside the top 20). Then we could hopefully get one of Keeler or Barnett and some other likely type that slides through e.g. Cowan, Weddle, Konstanty, Gruzewski, George.

What do you think?

Anyone got thoughts on maybe picking up Harry Lemmey if he's still there at our third pick? He was quite widely rated as an early first round pick 12 months ago but has had a tough year and slid right down the pecking order. There is obviously some talent there though, might be someone who we could back our system and coaches to get the best out of.
Reading him on the other board he seems like a good rookie pick but I'm not certain on grabbing him in the draft

We can agree (I think) that we can definitely rule out: Ashcroft, Cadman, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Humphrey, Clark, Mackenzie

Pretty likely gone: Phillipou, Ginbey, Busslinger, (I'd be happy to take any of these if they slipped through)

After that possibilities include: Hollands, Hustwaite, Allan, Hewett, Hotton, Konstanty, Jones, Jefferson, Hayes, Weddle, Hotton, George, Cowan.

How confident can we be that our first pick will be one of these names? 90%? 99%?

I think Konstanty and Jones may be good players and they could play a role we could use but they are not priority needs and I doubt they will be best available so I'm tempted to rule them out.

I have fluctuated in my feelings about Jefferson and Hayes: they are both Vic Metro kids and I was a bit concerned when I saw that Hayes was unable to finish the time trial. But they both fit our needs well. Jefferson is a KPF and they're hard to get and an area of need for us plus he's a different type to Logan McDonald (more of a marking target). I'd be happy for us to take Jefferson if he gets to us. Hayes offers genuine height (199 cm), speed, and has a December birthday. Somehow I can't see us recruiting Hayes, and I think Jefferson will probably be gone. However, if we do draft one of them, I'll back our recruiters to have made a savvy choice and be relieved that a key position need is hopefully taken care of for the forseeable future.

Of the rest I'm leaning to Hustwaite or Allan - I hope we get one of those two. And I think at least one of them (or Jefferson, or one of those I said would pretty likely be gone) will be available.

1. Trading our second first rounder to Essendon for pick 22 and their future second (and maybe throwing in a little something extra to get the deal over the line)

2. Trading our second first rounder to Collingwood for their picks 25 & 27 (apparently they're interested to get a pick inside the top 20). Then we could hopefully get one of Keeler or Barnett and some other likely type that slides through e.g. Cowan, Weddle, Konstanty, Gruzewski, George.

What do you think?

Dont like the trades as I don't think they really favour us but I agree with your draft analysis.

Assuming one of the top 10 don't somehow slip through to us I really do like Hustwaite. He fills a real need and while I am worried about Hayes endurance and the fact he is from VIC Metro we have struggled against the bigger key forwards for a while and Hayes would help a lot with that.

I can see an argument for Barnett too, but if we drafted him realistically he would not be in our best 22 until 2025 at the earliest.

Thanks for the response.

How can you not like sliding back just 5 picks for Essendon's future second? It's a deal that might make sense to Essendon because it gives them three top 20 draft picks this year (pick 4, pick 17 and Alwyn Davey Jr who is rated thereabouts) instead of just two.

Dont like the trades as I don't think they really favour us but I agree with your draft analysis.

Assuming one of the top 10 don't somehow slip through to us I really do like Hustwaite. He fills a real need and while I am worried about Hayes endurance and the fact he is from VIC Metro we have struggled against the bigger key forwards for a while and Hayes would help a lot with that.

I can see an argument for Barnett too, but if we drafted him realistically he would not be in our best 22 until 2025 at the earliest.

Thanks for the response.

How can you not like sliding back just 5 picks for Essendon's future second? It's a deal that might make sense to Essendon because it gives them three top 20 draft picks this year (pick 4, pick 17 and Alwyn Davey Jr who is rated thereabouts) instead of just two.

The thing is though that we don't really need a lot of players. Our list build is going well, we are not a club that is trying to rebuild so adding an a extra draft pick is almost pointless. Better to go with the higher pick and only get one player who in theory will be of a better quality than two lower picks who in theory won't be as good.

If I were North I would be trading down to bring in more picks as they need more players coming in and would be better off with two B graders than one A grader but we are not quite in that position.

What do you think?
We're pretty much on the same page or close.
At our first there are three I find particularly interesting:
Hustwaite tall, ball skills possibly mid but also possibly defence organiser. Creates time and space.
Allan an athlete but skilful maybe a larger Chad. Inside outside.
Hollands I've only come to lately. A very busy type.
Any of those 3 could add something and seem to have no downside.
I'm not keen to trade back. A bird in the hand gives you an extra year of development.
For that second pick I've consistently wanted Barnett. Hick has 12 months in him. Ladhams might implode. Stretch is unproven at any level. Barnett is a genuine ruck and could be our #2 in 2024. I think if we leave him there someone else will grab him.
There are a few interesting at our third. Van Es as a future KPD, d'Aloia (sic) as a strong midfielder depending who we take earlier and a few others.
Certainly interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back