Game Day 2022 Grand Final: Geelong vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yay.
I feel infinitely better now.
Will go back to drumming fingers on the kitchen table, gnashing teeth and fondly remembering the glory days of almost 20 years ago.
It is not about feeling better. That poster is always having a crack and quite frankly it gives me the shits. I know that Port has to get better, but constant white anting by some posters is over the top. Anyway sack Hinckley.

Cats only 1 top 10 pick out there that was drafted by them (Selwood).

They have done extremely well to identify top up talent like Stewart, Blicavs and Stengle, but let’s not kid ourselves in thinking they haven’t been kissed on the dick with Hawkins being a generous f/s and Dangerfield and Cameron returning for a burnt pie in exchange.

The player I wish we had somehow snared is De Koning. He is a ripper.

Imagine thinking the difference between us and Geelong is talent (if you think this is the case, watch last year's QF).

It's all in culture driven by coaching. High expectation and high accountability environment.

The coach is a highly intelligent, highly ambitious man, not some dumbass that 'oi the boys love him ay'.

Our club is a loser club because we are run by losers. The opposite is true of Geelong. Full stop. You could swap the lists around and Boak, Dixon and Wines would've been on the podium yesterday whilst Selwood, Hawkins and Cameron would've finished 11th and telling us how next year is going to be different.

That Bloods culture is a load of shit. You don't be a joke club for decades and get to just ignore that. Yesterday was just a return to the normal Sydney/South Melbourne, didn't even show up and deserve to be ridiculed for it like we were and GWS was

The Chad stepped up as the nine pins fell. He might get lost trying to find his way into the SCG but he knew where he was yesterday.

Imagine thinking the difference between us and Geelong is talent (if you think this is the case, watch last year's QF).

It's all in culture driven by coaching. High expectation and high accountability environment.

The coach is a highly intelligent, highly ambitious man, not some dumbass that 'oi the boys love him ay'.

Our club is a loser club because we are run by losers. The opposite is true of Geelong. Full stop. You could swap the lists around and Boak, Dixon and Wines would've been on the podium yesterday whilst Selwood, Hawkins and Cameron would've finished 11th and telling us how next year is going to be different.
Nothing surer than Ken and koch feeling pretty special yesterday that they managed to score 8 goals against Geelong in a quarter this year despite losing the game.

The confirmation bias is off the charts at Port. Koch clutches onto the most marginal and insignificant facts to justify what has been a record breaking decade of failure. F***** losers alright.

That Bloods culture is a load of s**t. You don't be a joke club for decades and get to just ignore that. Yesterday was just a return to the normal Sydney/South Melbourne, didn't even show up and deserve to be ridiculed for it like we were and GWS was
It's like clockwork the Vicco media are all over the Bloods when Syd are up and about and it's Sydney when they get belted

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't keep up with you. You repeatedly talk about how shit our list is, how shit our captain is and how bad he is as a player, and how a new coach isn't going to make us shoot up the ladder. At least be consistent.

The extra week off after winning the QF would have done wonders for Geelongs dads army as well. Had they lost to Collingwood, i dont think they get back and win.

The difference between us and Geelong is definitely talent. They run deep. We don’t. They were able to bring in arguably the best mid in the game and the best forward in the game to an already stacked squad.

They should have won at least 1 more flag this wra imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats only 1 top 10 pick out there that was drafted by them (Selwood).
Hawkins would have gone top 10 if you didnt have to give up just a 3rd round pick for a father son. They would have taken him not Selwood at 7.

Cameron was a 17 year old signing for GWS so didnt go thru tthe normal draft process.

Dangerfield went pick 12, big deal its not a top 10.

Substance over legal form. You need top end talent to win a flag, as well as the good ordinary footballer types and plenty inbetween the 2.

Last edited:
The Chad stepped up as the nine pins fell. He might get lost trying to find his way into the SCG but he knew where he was yesterday.

He stopped Sydney going closer to Port's record margin. Reckon he won 4 of his 10 clearances, all centre ones, in the last quarter and I reckon it lead to 3 quick goals for Sydney.

They take unrated players like Atkins, Henry, Close, Stengle etc. and turn them into elite players. At any other clubs those guys would be McEntee level duds but at Geelong they are above average to elite players.

That is the main strength to Geelong I reckon. Their top 5-10 are probably about level with other clubs top 5-10. Their bottom 10 are significantly better. Some of that is talent ID, some of it is development and some of it is game plan. Most of it seems to just stem from the DNA of that club.

It's interesting that a lot of their staff are past players. Guys like Mackie, Taylor, Burns, Egan, Ottens, Jenkins. Usually I reckon that is a shit idea, but when you consider the strength of Geelong and their organisation it makes sense.

For us it doesn't work because most of our history post 2004 is a history of losers.

The best team all year won, Geelong were miles in front of everyone from the mid way mark of the season and it showed yesterday. I thought all week they'd win by a heap, was hoping for a close game but wasn't to be. The occasion was to much for Sydney, you could see it in the first 5 minutes. The Dad's Army of Geelong had the experience and hunger to handle the moment and they were never letting it slip. Wouldn't have mattered who they played yesterday the result would've been the same.

Have to give Chris Scott credit. He's a great coach and it takes a lot to adjust their entire game plan the way they did from last season to this. The finals last year us & Melbourne smashed them, this year they adjusted and romped it in. You just have to tip your hat to them.

They'll be back up the top again next year with their list management and the way they do it. No doubt they have a few more players lined up via trades or free agency, they rarely miss.

I can't stand them, but you have to respect them.

They take unrated players like Atkins, Henry, Close, Stengle etc. and turn them into elite players. At any other clubs those guys would be McEntee level duds but at Geelong they are above average to elite players.

That is the main strength to Geelong I reckon. Their top 5-10 are probably about level with other clubs top 5-10. Their bottom 10 are significantly better. Some of that is talent ID, some of it is development and some of it is game plan. Most of it seems to just stem from the DNA of that club.

It's interesting that a lot of their staff are past players. Guys like Mackie, Taylor, Burns, Egan, Ottens, Jenkins. Usually I reckon that is a s**t idea, but when you consider the strength of Geelong and their organisation it makes sense.

For us it doesn't work because most of our history post 2004 is a history of losers.
Why wouldnt you keep a lot of past players around the club, who won 3 flags, played a shit load of finals and had a 75% win rate for either all their career or from when they got to Geelong?

Why wouldnt you keep a lot of past players around the club, who won 3 flags, played a s**t load of finals and had a 75% win rate for either all their career or from when they got to Geelong?
I think in general it is a shit idea for any other club. It's a terrible idea for our club. For Geelong it works well because all their players are career winners. They even have Shaun Grigg, who is another winner and brings some of that Richmond DNA.

I think in general it is a s**t idea for any other club. It's a terrible idea for our club. For Geelong it works well because all their players are career winners. They even have Shaun Grigg, who is another winner and brings some of that Richmond DNA.
Your forgot Brisbane triple premiership player Nigel Lappin.

Of Geelong's 6 headline assistnt coaches only 2, Egan and Kelly, are ex Geelong players. Betts, Grigg, Lapin and O'Bree are the 4 others. But as you pointed out, plenty of past players are in development, recruiting and part time roles.

In 10 years time Richmond will have plenty of 2017-22 era players involved at the club

I think in general it is a s**t idea for any other club. It's a terrible idea for our club. For Geelong it works well because all their players are career winners. They even have Shaun Grigg, who is another winner and brings some of that Richmond DNA.
Not sure I'd describe Shaun Grigg as some sort of career 'winner'. He was in crap sides for the vast majority of his career but was in the right place at the right time in 2017, that's about it.

Like, are we calling Gary Rohan a 'winner' now? He's now a premiership player, but on an individual level he's up there with the most consistently poor finals performers of all time. Surely there's more to being a good coach or a good person to have around a football club than a premiership medal? Context is still relevant.

I know that you have to doggedly stick to this narrative that Hinkley is the cause of all our ills, but the reality is it a deficit in both (him and the list).

Parker and Cripps have a lot to answer for. We have traded off size for running power every time, and that has never worked out for anyone.

We’re not physically imposing or skilled enough where it counts to be a premiership team. So work hardery is all we’ve got.

Last edited:
I agree Geelong has more talent than us. But you have to acknowledge their experience and the hard bastard factor they have currently. Dangerfield was off the charts with his contested work yesterday. Hawkins rag dolls the opposition ruckman twice to get them up in the first qtr. Selwood’s first qtr is as good as I’d seen from him in a while. Stewart’s letting everyone know he’s around. There’s some aggression to go with the talent. I’d take Hawkins, Dangerfield and Selwood over Dixon, Boak and Wines both talent and aggressive mindset wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2022 Grand Final: Geelong vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back