Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated list position

1669782556976.png

And 2024 as it stands

1669783458008-png.1564958

Last edited:

It depends on the definition of “Elite”.

I looked to put together an objective measure and came up with the following;

The player should be playing close to their peak and have been
1) A multiple All Australian (2+ times). This picks up the most influential Ruckman, Key forwards,Key defenders, medium/small forwards, medium/small defenders and midfielders.
It probably undervalues midfielders since the 7th best midfielder is usually more influential than the second best small/medium forward for that year however the AA selectors often adjust for this.

2. Multiple top ten finishes in the Brownlow.

Using this definition only Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance and Lynch qualify. Laird also qualifies but he won his two AA as a defender.

In 97/98 we had Hart, Smart, Rehn, Rucciuto, Jarman, McLeod and Goodwin (who was not at AA level in 97/98).

Look at Richmond when those players were at the same level of experience the guys on our list are at, and they were pretty average also. They virtually came up together and did sweet F.A until they ripened.

I think we have a fair few potential "Elites" on our list atm that are at least 2-3 years away from beginning to ripen and another few who are on the Cusp (1-2yr away).The core is almost there, we just need to play it right(This is where my doubts lie). Fans who think trading in a couple of ready made "Elites" right now are going to be content with us making the 8, but are missing the point.

Id sooner see us pay out Seed or McPherson than delist Rowe completely. He is our best at reading the ball off hands deep forward and was played up the ground too much this season. We dream of Rankine having bursts through the middle, why not delist and rookie Rowe. His disposal is miles better than Murphy or Ned
I don’t get it. You’re ok with the contract we gave Crouch which is going to see him playing sanfl and instead paying out players to free up a list spot, see the contradiction?

I don’t get it. You’re ok with the contract we gave Crouch which is going to see him playing sanfl and instead paying out players to free up a list spot, see the contradiction?
Theres no contradiction. Seed is broken, McPherson below average, vanilla, and injury prone. Crouch can provide leadership in the SANFL if he plays there, and is much more likely to attract interest next year than Seed or McPherson will.

Id sooner see us pay out Seed or McPherson than delist Rowe completely. He is our best at reading the ball off hands deep forward and was played up the ground too much this season. We dream of Rankine having bursts through the middle, why not delist and rookie Rowe. His disposal is miles better than Murphy or Ned
Next year will be the one we lose Murphy or Ned and McPherson.

Rowe's disposal this year was terrible, on par with Ned and Murphy's goal kicking. He's like CEY, good SANFL player, but not up to AFL standard.

Next year will be the one we lose Murphy or Ned and McPherson.

Rowe's disposal this year was terrible, on par with Ned and Murphy's goal kicking. He's like CEY, good SANFL player, but not up to AFL standard.

I think you are on the money this time next year will be incredibly interesting as an AFC supporter;

If [and it's an optimistic if] during the 2023 season;

Taylor continues to impress and therefore debuts
Pedlar has a decent pre-season and does what he is capable of
Nank fills out and shows a bit
Cook gets over his soft approach and plays to his potential

then how do McHenry and Murphy get games?

Mcasey doesn't improve
Crouch finishes
Sloane struggles to stay on top of the pace
Seedsman sadly retires
Tex?
McPherson continues to get injured

We could have some real list changes as in numbers far more than we have seen this year with both retirements, delistings and hopefully some trades.

Theres no contradiction. Seed is broken, McPherson below average, vanilla, and injury prone. Crouch can provide leadership in the SANFL if he plays there, and is much more likely to attract interest next year than Seed or McPherson will.
You don’t know Seeds is broken and if fit offers a hell of a lot more than Crouch in the AFL. Attract interest where?

I suspect Seed is on a reasnoble size contract. Leading up to his contract renewal he was in good form. Apparently had offers from other clubs so hard to see how we could do any kind of payout.

Last edited:

If Crouch hasn’t attracted interest this year or even last year, why would he attract interest next year especially after spending another year in the sanfl?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Crouch hasn’t attracted interest this year or even last year, why would he attract interest next year especially after spending another year in the sanfl?
Pilchard didn't say that he'd attract more interest next year than he did this year. He said that he'd attract more interest than Seeds or McPherson would next year.

Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good argument. None of them will attract any interest at all. 0 = 0.

I suspect Seed is on a reasnoble size contract. Leading up to his contract renewal he was in good form. Apparently had offers from other clubs so hard to see how we could do any kind of payout.
Offers from other clubs?

He was contracted to us already, and we extended that deal for another year. Who was the club that was so desperate to get a contracted Seedsman?

According to Ch. 7, Seed is adamant he’s playing on.

So with Rowe and Davis the likely delistings, just not sure how we free up the list spots for both 23 and Michalanney?

So with Rowe and Davis the likely delistings, just not sure how we free up the list spots for both 23 and Michalanney?
Oh no, another few pages about the list structure...

Offers from other clubs?

He was contracted to us already, and we extended that deal for another year. Who was the club that was so desperate to get a contracted Seedsman?

Sorry i think that could of been the contract prior if that's possible? 2018? At some point there was talk of him leaving and going back to Victoria.

McPherson delisted and to the rookie list

So unless Turner gets delisted, no spare rookie slots

I have no problem rolling pick 23 forward to next year - someone will come with a future 2nd for it plus some additional points for MM. We will be needing that pick next year given the plethora of delistings that should happen then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back