Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I want another cult favourite that struggles to play a game and creates plenty of arguments from keyboard warriors:

- Brayden Sier
- Kayle Kirby
- Brendan Abbott
- Kyle Martin
- Brad Dick
- Patrick Karnezis
- Tristen Walker

I want another cult favourite that struggles to play a game and creates plenty of arguments from keyboard warriors:

- Brayden Sier
- Kayle Kirby
- Brendan Abbott
- Kyle Martin
- Brad Dick
- Patrick Karnezis
- Tristen Walker
Ash Johnson has shown some great promise in that regard - but you can never really have enough of that type.

I think our selection will come from left field again. What have we had now 2 mid season drafts?
We got Noble in the first with him not being really considered on this board.
Then Johnson & Begg last year who probably surprised most of us as well.
Dekka probably has his eye on somebody not previously considered on this board.

Both Johnson and Begg were amongst the half dozen or so being discussed as options more broadly, but you're right they weren't board favourites on here.

A group of four players have emerged as standout selections for next month’s AFL mid-season draft after impressive recent performances.
One AFL club recruiter said he would “be shocked” if Victorian pair Jai Culley and Max Ramsden were not selected.

Fellow Victorian Hugo Hall-Kahan and South Australian Jye Menzie are also widely tipped by recruiters to find homes.

Culley logged 197 ranking points and kicked four goals from 22 disposals in a best-afield performance for the Young Guns in their clash with Vic Metro’s under-18s last Saturday.
The 193cm midfielder-forward from the Dandenong Stingrays missed games with a shoulder injury early in the season, but recruiters have seen enough to know what to expect.

Ramsden, a 202cm ruckman from the Sandringham Dragons, also impressed for the Young Guns last weekend and is seen as an exciting player but one with a fair bit of development left ahead of him.

Opposition clubs believe Ramsden would be of particular interest to a club like Geelong.

Hall-Kahan was seen as being “just Okay” for the Young Guns last weekend, but has played some strong NAB League football with the Sandringham Dragons this year.

The 188cm forward would require an exception to be eligible for the mid-season draft, after not nominating for last year’s drafts.

“He has come from nowhere a little bit,” another senior recruiter said.

“I reckon someone would have a nibble there.”

Menzie has also caught the attention of clubs after some blistering form for South Adelaide in the SANFL, where he has kicked 15 goals from six games this season.

Menzie had played 7 games for Tasmania Devils in the NAB League last season but the North Hobart product found himself overlooked at the 2021 drafts.

The Young Guns players will get another chance to shine on Sunday when they tackle Vic Country’s under-18 side at Princes Park.

The AFL mid-season draft will be held on June 1.

The Vic Country squad is headlined by potential first round selections and AFL Academy members Oliver Hollands, the brother of highly-touted 2020 draftee Elijah, and Geelong Falcons ball-winner Jhye Clark.

Recent AFL Academy additions in GWV Rebels key forward Aaron Caddman and Dandenong Stingrays defender Henry Hustwaite will also take on the Young Guns.

The Gippsland Power has seven players in the side, including rising midfielder Bailey Humphreys and highly-touted 2023 draft prospect Zane Duursma, the younger brother of Port Adelaide playmaker Xavier.

Livewire 185cm forward Harley Reid will be another player on recruiter’s watchlists for next year’s draft after an eye-catching start to the season for the Bendigo Pioneers.

Bendigo Pioneers prospect Max Dow, the younger brother of first-round picks Paddy (Carlton) and Thomson (Richmond), and promising Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Finn Emile-Brennan are among the Vic Country squad.

Yes he was the hype job prior to both drafts. I see he has been omitted this week.

I still would have recruited Callow. He'd have been handy this year. I still can't believe we passed up on Riccardi a few years back either. Hine really likes avoiding key forwards.

Stating need to be subscribed Jen to access for me.
Or am I missing something?
KJ
Here it is again.

A group of four players have emerged as standout selections for next month’s AFL mid-season draft after impressive recent performances.
One AFL club recruiter said he would “be shocked” if Victorian pair Jai Culley and Max Ramsden were not selected.

Fellow Victorian Hugo Hall-Kahan and South Australian Jye Menzie are also widely tipped by recruiters to find homes.

Culley logged 197 ranking points and kicked four goals from 22 disposals in a best-afield performance for the Young Guns in their clash with Vic Metro’s under-18s last Saturday.
The 193cm midfielder-forward from the Dandenong Stingrays missed games with a shoulder injury early in the season, but recruiters have seen enough to know what to expect.

Ramsden, a 202cm ruckman from the Sandringham Dragons, also impressed for the Young Guns last weekend and is seen as an exciting player but one with a fair bit of development left ahead of him.

Opposition clubs believe Ramsden would be of particular interest to a club like Geelong.

Hall-Kahan was seen as being “just Okay” for the Young Guns last weekend, but has played some strong NAB League football with the Sandringham Dragons this year.

The 188cm forward would require an exception to be eligible for the mid-season draft, after not nominating for last year’s drafts.

“He has come from nowhere a little bit,” another senior recruiter said.

“I reckon someone would have a nibble there.”

Menzie has also caught the attention of clubs after some blistering form for South Adelaide in the SANFL, where he has kicked 15 goals from six games this season.

Menzie had played 7 games for Tasmania Devils in the NAB League last season but the North Hobart product found himself overlooked at the 2021 drafts.

The Young Guns players will get another chance to shine on Sunday when they tackle Vic Country’s under-18 side at Princes Park.

The AFL mid-season draft will be held on June 1.

The Vic Country squad is headlined by potential first round selections and AFL Academy members Oliver Hollands, the brother of highly-touted 2020 draftee Elijah, and Geelong Falcons ball-winner Jhye Clark.

Recent AFL Academy additions in GWV Rebels key forward Aaron Caddman and Dandenong Stingrays defender Henry Hustwaite will also take on the Young Guns.

The Gippsland Power has seven players in the side, including rising midfielder Bailey Humphreys and highly-touted 2023 draft prospect Zane Duursma, the younger brother of Port Adelaide playmaker Xavier.

Livewire 185cm forward Harley Reid will be another player on recruiter’s watchlists for next year’s draft after an eye-catching start to the season for the Bendigo Pioneers.

Bendigo Pioneers prospect Max Dow, the younger brother of first-round picks Paddy (Carlton) and Thomson (Richmond), and promising Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Finn Emile-Brennan are among the Vic Country squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been watching old Collingwood games and Mark Richardson was an underrated footballer. Jack of all Trades- chf/chb or ruck and did well in all three positions. We'd kill for a Mark Richardson today yet he was a much maligned player.

Stengle was fairly popular

They were the two I wanted haha. Callow and Stengle. Both would have played a bit too I reckon. Any time Krueger was injured or any time Cal Brown or Bianco were played forward they would have had a game. Though I think Stengle was not available in the MSD in the end? Still not officially delisted by the Crows at the time.

Last edited:
They were the two I wanted haha. Callow and Stengle. Both would have played a bit too I reckon. Any time Krueger was injured or any time Cal Brown or Bianco were played forward they would have had a game. Though I think Stengle was not available in the MSD in the end? Still not officially deliated by the Crows.
He wasn’t but nobody knew until afterwards and even then some people haven’t caught on. They were the two I wanted as well a key forward and a crumbing small made too much sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back