Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Wade Derkson, who I’ll admit I haven’t even seen, was denied an exemption to enter the mid season draft.

Bit of a pity because after his 12cm growth spurt recently he has supposedly been turning it on as 197cms athletic key forward over in the west.

That sucks, he looked good to me.

We're desperate for some on-ballers.
We're desperate for just about all areas including mids, KPP and a young genuine ruckman of size and mobility.
For mine we pick best available with foot skills a priority.
Any young rucks to get excited about?
Max Ramsden for mine.

Last edited:
We're desperate for just about all areas including mids, KPP and a young genuine ruckman of size and mobility.
For mine we pick best available with foot skills a priority.
Any young rucks to get excited about?
Max Ramsden for mine.

No one will agree with me but if we were to pick a ruck i'd go for Brayden Crossley. He's one of the best in the VFL and when forward attacks the ball in the air with intent.

Delisted by the Suns Q?
Short at 198cm for a genuine ruck

Yep. 199cm and 105kgs. A unit like Mumford or Nankervis. He'd be fine at that height as a back-up and can play forward.

after being suspended for the anti doping code. Ala murray.

That doesn't bother me. Didn't with Keeffe or Thomas either.

Yep. 199cm and 105kgs. A unit like Mumford or Nankervis. He'd be fine at that height as a back-up and can play forward.

I know. I'm just putting it out there that he was delisted during his ban.

Would like a 205cm genuine ruck, Rucks were highly sought after last year and we have Cox, Beggs and cameron that are forwards first IMO and rucks second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we stay around 11ish on the ladder, how many teams lower than us have a pick in the MSD? Assuming we’d be looking at pick 3-5ish? Definitely Like the sound of Culley.

If we stay around 11ish on the ladder, how many teams lower than us have a pick in the MSD? Assuming we’d be looking at pick 3-5ish? Definitely Like the sound of Culley.
Looking at the ladder right now, there's North Melbourne for sure (Bergman inj.), while Gold Coast (King inj.), Hawthorn (left a spot open) and Adelaide (Sloane inj.) are currently just below us and would be able to have a selection if they wanted one. So right now we'd have pick 5.

“Sydney, Carlton, Hawthorn, Fremantle and Geelong currently hold picks for the mid-season draft, while Collingwood (Nathan Kreuger), Gold Coast (Ben King), St Kilda (Nick Coffield and Jack Hayes), Adelaide (Rory Sloane), North Melbourne (Miller Bergman), Port Adelaide (Jake Pasini) and Richmond (Josh Caddy) can still open list spots”

Can someone please outline the rules which allow players to enter/become available in the MSD?
Eligible players include:

• A Player who nominated for the most recent NAB AFL National Draft.
    Please note: A Player who nominated for and was not selected during the Draft and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all Clubs should they nominate for the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
  • A Player who has previously been on the list of a Club (not required to nominate for the most recent Draft) refers to the following situations:

A Delisted Player
    Please note: A Player delisted by a Club cannot be reselected in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent Draft.

A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL List for one year or more. For example, a player who retired in 2021 is not able to be selected in the 2022 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
Any player who does not meet the above criteria can be nominated by a representative of the AFL Talent Pathway, their AFLPA accredited agent or the player themselves and be considered for an exemption. For the avoidance of doubt, a player in their 18th year or younger will not be eligible for an exemption.

Eligible players include:

• A Player who nominated for the most recent NAB AFL National Draft.
    Please note: A Player who nominated for and was not selected during the Draft and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all Clubs should they nominate for the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
  • A Player who has previously been on the list of a Club (not required to nominate for the most recent Draft) refers to the following situations:

A Delisted Player
    Please note: A Player delisted by a Club cannot be reselected in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent Draft.

A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL List for one year or more. For example, a player who retired in 2021 is not able to be selected in the 2022 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
Any player who does not meet the above criteria can be nominated by a representative of the AFL Talent Pathway, their AFLPA accredited agent or the player themselves and be considered for an exemption. For the avoidance of doubt, a player in their 18th year or younger will not be eligible for an exemption.

Awesome Thx Jen,
Seriously, do you have an encyclopedia on everything football at the touch of a button :cool:
I have been away from Big Footy for approx 5 years due to a health issue and feel fortunate to have posters like yourself and Quicky kindly afford so much of your time and knowledge and pass on to others.
Much love to all :rainbow:

Last edited:
Awesome Thx Jen,
Seriously, do you have an encyclopedia on everything football at the touch of a button :cool:
I have been away from Big Footy for approx 5 years due to a health issue and feel fortunate to have posters like yourself and Quicky kindly afford so much of your time and knowledge and pass on to others.
Much love to all :rainbow:
I hope you are on the mend and back here regularly.

Looking at the ladder right now, there's North Melbourne for sure (Bergman inj.), while Gold Coast (King inj.), Hawthorn (left a spot open) and Adelaide (Sloane inj.) are currently just below us and would be able to have a selection if they wanted one. So right now we'd have pick 5.

I remember the last couple of years clubs very late found a way to get a pick if they wanted one, especially down the bottom.

You would think the club will only participate in the draft, if there's someone they feel could come in and play a role. No point just drafting in someone who will be predominantly a VFL player.....
Agree, but we have needs all over the ground, and I think we can add some quality here.
With the interruption to the VFL and under 18's over the last 2 years their is bound to be some talent that has slipped thru and developed over the off season and home and away to date that clubs have overlooked previously.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back