Preview 2022 Rd 11 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 29 3:20PM AEST @MCG - Final Team Post #1018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, what went wrong in 96?
we were pretty old in 95 we had Diesel, Peter Dean, maybe Mil Hanna and a couple of others tailing off, we really had to win the flag that year after bombing out in 94

and then in 96 North after making a lot of Prelim finals came of age and King Carey was unstoppable

1996 wasn't really a missed opportunity but 1993 and 1994 sure was

Pretty good chat with Bucks and Gerard on SEN this morning, most of it was around Carlton v Collingwood, where both sides are at and the rivalry. Worth a listen in the build up.

Interesting responses they got that most of the fans found the rivalry still pretty real.
I guess it’s a generational thing (90s kid) - I don’t have any love for Collingwood but I also don’t irrationally despise them like I do *. The only player of theirs I really dislike is De Goey.
True story, back in the 90’s I went into MMM for a segment they had called Beat The Blonde. So here’s me on air with Eddie McGuire, Dermott Brerreton and Bridget Duclos.. I tell Eddie I barrack for Carlton but go on to tell him I don’t hate Collingwood.. he looks at me funny and asks why. My reply “How can I hate a team that has given me so much pleasure, 1970, 79 and 81 premierships”… Eddie’s face screws up and Derm laughs and says “I like this bloke”.

we were pretty old in 95 we had Diesel, Peter Dean, maybe Mil Hanna and a couple of others tailing off, we really had to win the flag that year after bombing out in 94

and then in 96 North after making a lot of Prelim finals came of age and King Carey was unstoppable

yeah i was going to say that - 93 was a big chance but we had some younger guys who went on to play in '95 flag, 94 was the year we should have won it and 95 was redemption. Thats 3 solid cracks at a flag. Then 96 came around, the best players were pretty old by then and other teams were rising (namely the roos)

Strongish faves in a big game.
Media full of Carlton love.
Rival coming off long interstate travel.

This is another one of those hurdles we've stumbled over before.

I was reasonably comfortable v Giants and Sydney, not feeling it this week.

Feeling the same way.

Carlton rarely respond well going in favourites

Last edited:
True story, back in the 90’s I went into MMM for a segment they had called Beat The Blonde. So here’s me on air with Eddie McGuire, Dermott Brerreton and Bridget Duclos.. I tell Eddie I barrack for Carlton but go on to tell him I don’t hate Collingwood.. he looks at me funny and asks why. My reply “How can I hate a team that has given me so much pleasure, 1970, 79 and 81 premierships”… Eddie’s face screws up and Derm laughs and says “I like this bloke”.
Weird take by Derm considering he grew up a Pies fan and would have lived through those grand final losses at the hands of us.
Eddie is very easy to wind up as heavily traumatised by us for life.

Spot on.
1994, especially should have won the flag.
Justin Madden and Earl Spadling were some of other veterans in 95 that did not have much left in the tank after that.
Same with Sticks so 96 no real surprise. We did get about a third of way through that season, still looking up and about but 96 was certainly North's time to come of age. McKernan was superb about then and almost an influential on their wins as Carey in that time. North really should have won three flags with that group. Threw away 98 flag with horrible kicking for goal in grand final like Cats did in 2008.

Pies winning scores this year.....

102,100, 93, 115, 80 (Freo)

losing scores:

91, 74 (Eagles), 91, 86, 51 (Dogs)

So, they can generally score ok....

Though I doubt even 102 would be enough to beat us in present form....

Last week Crippa and Cerra were considerably off their best, others picked up the slack.

I'm expecting a blinder from Crippa...

Just think we have too many playing good footy for us to drop this one!

losing scores:

Last week Crippa and Cerra were considerably off their best, others picked up the slack.

Cripps has been down disposal wise in recent weeks, due to having to take on more ruck duties, which also has a flow on effect to the likes of a Cerra

losing scores:

Is it just a coincidence that Cripps has been a little down on his previous dominance the last 2 weeks, as they've had to cover Harry and have been using him a bit more forward and as a rucking option around the ground?
Hopefully he's just adjusting to the slightly different mix of duties and is back to his best this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps has been down disposal wise in recent weeks, due to having to take on more ruck duties, which also has a flow on effect to the likes of a Cerra
Out of necessity he has had to ruck the last couple of weeks. Been brilliantly using his strength in around the ground ruck contests to actually influence a contest. He won't have to this week, though, so expecting him to have a blinder.

Out of necessity he has had to ruck the last couple of weeks. Been brilliantly using his strength in around the ground ruck contests to actually influence a contest. He won't have to this week, though, so expecting him to have a blinder.

I think he will still take some throw ins, which I would prefer JSos to do

I think you'll find that every opposition supporter feels this way about their team
read any game day thread on any board:
'the umpires hate us'
'we have been crucified by the umps tonight'
'the AFL hate us and so do the umpires'
'they have gotten all their goals from the umpires'

The hawks game was a good one to witness live - first half we dominated and seemed to get the rub of the green and hawks supporters were going off, 2nd half they dominated and seemed to get the rub of the green, amazingly they didnt complain one bit that 2nd half....i had hawk nuffie next to me, i kept asking him why he wasnt complaining about similar umpire decisions he had been complaining about in the first half, was pretty funny.

I think you'll find that every opposition supporter feels this way about their team
Every team is not the same.
Tiges gave away heaps of frees through their flag years, because the played on the edge and crossed the line.
Everyone knows the Dogs get a lot of love.

Defenders shit themselves against our 2 gun talls. For most of them, that's the only way they can compete. There's a handfull of other key forwards in the league at that level.

Correct, our top end talent were just about at the end of their careers. Pretty sure Diesel and Sticks retired the following season.

Some a lot more than others.
Weitering for example doesn't hang on nearly as much as Charlie and Harry's opponents.
Weiters for his whole career has had to battle with probably the most D50s of any defender so has had ample practice of having holds and grapples pinged against him and has learnt a lot quicker of what works and doesn't.

So can't get any more tickets off Ticketek
Don't know if that means it's sold out or not.
They used to communicate well on things like this, but haven't heard much.
Seems like a game that should be announced as fully ticketed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back