Preview 2022 Rd 15 Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday June 25 1:45PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #808

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i agree but i cant work out how someone with his height and leap struggles this much with rucking. some will say it takes time for rucks to develop but he should be better by now imo.

He's not tracking quite as well as some of his contemporaries, such as Darcy and Draper, who are both one year older. Next year is a critical year, seems like 23-24 is when emergence takes place, needs to build more strength.

TDK's (or most rucks) vaunted leaping ability can't be sustained for the entire game, which is why I see him as a 2nd. ruck/KPP at this stage.
Pitto is a less glamorous, but much more effective ruckman.
He's not tracking quite as well as some of his contemporaries, such as Darcy and Draper, who are both one year older. Next year is a critical year, seems like 23-24 is when emergence takes place, needs to build more strength.
Yeah core strength in particular.

Its a brutal role...the constant clashing of the knees and shins ...would be the last position id wanna play in.

Yeah Ok, but why cant TDK ruck atm? He is tall and has a really good leap and its not like he is a stinny stick so I dont get why he needs so much more time before he ios effective. He should be jumping all over the oppo ruckman right now.
For mine, he just will never be a number one ruckman, he's a forward who can give the ruckman a chop out. He will be a much better version of casboult. We need another ruckman on our list who is ready to come into the team when needed as cover.

Yeah Ok, but why cant TDK ruck atm? He is tall and has a really good leap and its not like he is a stinny stick so I dont get why he needs so much more time before he ios effective. He should be jumping all over the oppo ruckman right now.
I noticed against Richmond he would win the tap but we had set up one player in front of him two behind it happened twice not sure we where set up for him to win the tap

Before I go on with the rest of your post which is interesting to me..

I don't think people understand Kennedy's role in the side. His primary role is NOT to win a CBB clearance he is in fact a preferred first or second receiver in CBB playing a sideways sweeping role to give off to an overlap runner from HFB or wrap around run from Walsh or Cerra or proceed to run and kick into forward 50 ( see point 3) ....that is one job;
2. His second job is to block for other players and to win contested ball between the arcs - he is outstanding in this role
3. Hi third job is to be a preferred kick into the forward fifty from distance - he is above average in this role
4. His fourth jobs are to take high-pressure contested marks between the arcs on teh rebound and when possible to provide a marking target in the forward 50 when the full press is on... he is above average in this role...

The problem with juiddging performance is that if you are not winning CBB as the side was set up to - then it makes it difficult to shine as a link man or kicker and your task is confined to defensive work and in an under hard ball gets against the run pf play - as well as cop a lot more high pressure hits as you are the between the arcs target for get outs ...Kennedy has copper more attention and physical hits than any other miod at Carlton this year and kept on trucking - save for a week off with a corky....

SO that is it for Kennedy - people who see him as a weakness don't understand why Voss loves him - in the context of playing a role for teh team.

Pittonet- yes I too think he is the biggest out atm and has been since he did come out....and it is on list management to fix this glaring lack of depth at teh end of the year.

Agreed Carlton doesn't have teh wingmen or marking half forwards to provide smart marking options to go end to end via controlled kicking - that is why Voss preferred the handball running game and teh kick into deep forward fifty - that is on Cottrell/LoB/Fisher/Martin...

Switching magnets around is NOT going to help one iota- because Carlton doesn't have the magnets to switch - where it matters.

Honey in for Freo game- YES.
Carroll in maybe
Hayes - not ready Carroll is ahead of him y a fair bit...
Dow - would get absolutely slaughtered in the contest and provide nothing in terms of what Kennedy or any other mid provides to the team game - that is why he isnt being picked except when we are 2 starting onballerss down and wont be. I don't understand what people see in Dow when teh y watch VFL because what he is displaying is schoolboy football with 5 years in AFL system stuff- very very ordinary. You need to watch carefully how Dow plays in VFL in a team game and with Voss's game plan in mind - and also understand that Carlton really wants him to succeed - which is why he is pretty much teh onluy AFL player in teh center square for the whole game against teh DOggies- he got every single tap from Markov in that game - s in every single tap so that he work on his game - the problem isnt his ability to run 5 meters - the problem with Dow is he has no defensive game or positioning sense and has a tendency to bury teammates with hospital passes - a LOT.
Big read, exhausting.
I'm not a critic of Kennedy, he's been excellent, but he's been banged up in his last couple of games.
He's certainly tough, but why do team mates regularly deliver hospital passes towards him. (is that partially his own fault? "kick it to me!" even though he is about to be mugged)
I'm probably more keen to give Newnes, LOB, Martin and Owies a short holiday than Kennedy if he's 100%.
If Cerra and Walsh shared a wing, this allows Dow (we are prepared to ignore Fish's total lack of defensive abilities) and Carroll to prove their merit.
The Bulldogs won a flag by manic hand passing out of midfield, until an opening occurs. Moving the ball with frenzied speed works for other teams (like we experienced last week) and could be including in our game plan.

Last edited:
I would love to see Durdin go head to head with Serong, Honey inclusion could make it happen.
If Cerra is out I'd go
Walsh v Brayshaw
Cripps v Fyfe
Hewett v Mundy
Durdin v Serong
Kennedy looks sore so I would play him against Brodie who only plays between 50/60% of gametime each week.

Can't pick Paddy Dow. He lacks big time in the area we are currently weakest, defensive transition. I can't understand how he has been allowed to get this far without addressing the problem. When he does get the footy I find he's really good at the quick give that tends to put others under pressure. Jack Newnes, Will Setterfield and Matt Cottrell are not bad at this either. When Paddy does break free from congestion (rarely) he doesn't tend to be that effective with ball in hand. Can't say he hasn't had plenty of opportunities to improve. Time to move on from him. Break glass only option.

This week, definitely Honey and Kemp come in. Jack Martin won't play and S Durdin is obviously out too. If Matt Kennedy is not right then bring Jack Carroll back in.

I believe we need more rotations through the middle to add a bit of spark and quicker movement. Carroll could be a point of difference and Fisher and C Durdin should attend the centre square from time to time as well as the usual suspects. Tom De Koning really needs to utilise his natural leap to get first hands on the ball and direct it to where our mids want it to be. I wish we had a better option than Jack Newnes for the wing/hbf/hff, but they have not presented to this point. Is Will Hayes an answer?

We need a vastly improved effort from our forward line in terms of retaining the ball in the F50 and heavily pressuring it's inevitable exit.

I want to defend Jack Martin. He, unfortunately, has a body that doesn't consistently stand up to the rigours of AFL. When fit (not that often), his attack on the footy and skills are top notch. I don't believe he has much confidence in his body, why would he, and I reckon that reflects in his play. Shame, he would be another option for centre square chop outs if he was fit. Maybe he needs some last chance saloon surgery as well. Is there such a thing for calf muscles?

Big read, exhausting.
I'm not a critic of Kennedy, he's been excellent, but he's been banged up in his last couple of games.
He's certainly tough, but why do team mates regularly deliver hospital passes towards him. (is that partially his own fault?)
I'm probably more keen to give Newnes, LOB, Martin and Owies a short holiday than Kennedy if he's 100%.
If Cerra and Walsh shared a wing, this allows Dow (we are prepared to ignore Fish's total lack of defensive abilities) and Carroll to prove their merit.
The Bulldogs won a flag by manic hand passing out of midfield, until an opening occurs. Moving the ball with frenzied speed works for other teams (like we experienced last week) and could be including in our game plan.
I see the chances of changes as:

1. Kemp into defensive mix
2. Honey in for Martin

one of Dow/Carroll/Setterfield as emergency.

For mine, he just will never be a number one ruckman, he's a forward who can give the ruckman a chop out. He will be a much better version of casboult. We need another ruckman on our list who is ready to come into the team when needed as cover.

Casboult was the best contested mark in the comp. for a good few seasons....

TDK is miles off that pace, albeit not doubting he has the ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casboult was the best contested mark in the comp. for a good few seasons....

TDK is miles off that pace, albeit not doubting he has the ability.
Cas was/is more a pack mark...good leap and strong body arms and hand....whereas tdk is a leaping speccy type mark. Although TDK makes it look spectatuclar his hands often let him down. He's getting better though.

Cas hands were second to nun.

Thoughts on Kennedy? I’m really warming to the idea of replacing with Carroll. We badly need midfield run and Kennedy just isn’t ‘right’.
My view is (injury aside) the midfield is out of whack because there is no ruck and Cerra's run is missing - you can replace Kennedy but it won't make any difference because what you might gain at the margin in some extra run - you lose in contested marking, hard ball gets and coolness under pressure etc...Carroll is looking a likely prospect that's for sure but very much in development mode as far as on ball duties go ..

Your boy offers a lot more than Fogs. Why do you reckon Fogs will get a go in front of him?
Nothing more than a gut feel. I reckon they'll want him to string a few performances together, particularly having been on the sidelines for quite a while.

We'll see. Would be very happy to be wrong.

Well he isn't from what I see - often he is getting shifted under the ball - after the contest he is off balance .. he also hits balls to opposition of out in the open for opposition to gather.. his best performance was against swans for a reason. Looks a lot like Tim English early days .

Would be very happy if TDK reached English's level in a few years.

TDK's (or most rucks) vaunted leaping ability can't be sustained for the entire game, which is why I see him as a 2nd. ruck/KPP at this stage.
Pitto is a less glamorous, but much more effective ruckman.

Yep I think you could say that generally speaking, the flashy, athletic ruck with a big leap has been over hyped by some.

Who in recent memory fit that mould and was a dominant ruck...maybe Nic Nat for a few years, that's about it. English is starting to grow but he's gone through numerous maulings in his career and I think still struggles a bit against the really big, strong rucks.

Then you look at Richmond winning 3 flags with Nankervis. Gawn is actually quite athletic but he's still more a big brute type. Jarrod Witts. Sean Darcy.

Not big leapers or flashy players, but big units, physical and some of the top rucks in the game.

Pitto is good at his craft and is better than people think, just doesn't get noticed as it's not highlights worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back