Preview 2022 Rd 15 Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday June 25 1:45PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #808

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago over there they smashed Hawks in hit-outs, and most other stats, and managed a 13 point win.
Some people seem overly pessimistic.

Yep. Whilst their defence is elite we if anyone have the forward line to overcome it, and they don’t have a forward line as good as Richmond’s. They don’t put up big scores at all.

We are absolutely in this game.

Agree with the poster before who pointed out that teams are trying to just belt the ball outside the contest from a ruck battle. Getting it away from out big inside mids. I hadn't really noticed it until the Richmond game but once I did it was so obvious. Freo also have the running midfielders that could take advantage of this, as well as a stout ruckman that can do the job. Big job for TDK to break even. Not expecting him to win but if he can stop Darcy from spanking the ball clear of the congestion more often than not it'll be a massive help.

Agree with the poster before who pointed out that teams are trying to just belt the ball outside the contest from a ruck battle. Getting it away from out big inside mids. I hadn't really noticed it until the Richmond game but once I did it was so obvious. Freo also have the running midfielders that could take advantage of this, as well as a stout ruckman that can do the job. Big job for TDK to break even. Not expecting him to win but if he can stop Darcy from spanking the ball clear of the congestion more often than not it'll be a massive help.

It's easy to combat, if we are starting with any 3 of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra at CB, those guys need to start a couple of steps further/wide from the ruck contest, then close in if the ruckman/ball is coming down closer to the hitout. Still believe we need 1 more agile type at each bounce when we come up against small/agile mids, so I would use Fisher, Martin, Durdin, Doc, Saad playing cameos

It's easy to combat, if we are starting with any 3 of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra at CB, those guys need to start a couple of steps further/wide from the ruck contest, then close in if the ruckman/ball is coming down closer to the hitout. Still believe we need 1 more agile type at each bounce when we come up against small/agile mids, so I would use Fisher, Martin, Durdin, Doc, Saad playing cameos

If Honey plays, I’d like to see him push up to contests in between the arcs for this reason. He is quick and reads it well enough. I trust him kicking I50.

Fisher better suited to the centre bounce.

If Honey plays, I’d like to see him push up to contests in between the arcs for this reason. He is quick and reads it well enough. I trust him kicking I50.

Honey is quick, but moreso, I like to describe his type as aggressive runners. Around the stoppage yes, not convinced yet of his reading of the unfolding phases, but he will hunt the pill and player

I'm really feeling a win this week. Tbh I think it will be a solid one
just the 4 points for me...........fast, dry deck for us...........ok, and them too...........time harry & charlie went full psycho...........

Truly good teams find a way to win games when there's plenty of reasons not to.

We've nearly done it twice vs Collingwood & Richmond. Really with our list right now we could've (and the old Carlton would've) rolled over and been relative easy beats and taken the excuse of our injury list. But not this year.

Pulling off a win vs Freo in these conditions shows that we're really coming and would worry every team in the comp. Carlton just beat the form team in the comp (or one of)... with a decimated backline and no genuine ruckman. I sure don't want to run into them in finals when they actually have those pieces

I'm not backing us to win this year, but us finding form with a full - or close to it - bill of health heading towards finals would intimidate every team.

I see Honey's biggest strength as his ability to run back to goals. He has an incredible burst over 3 or 4 steps and then the ability to steady and have effortless pace. I remember in the first game against the Tigers the ball was kicked out the back to Owies but he wasn't able to get separation from Grimes who was able to push him off the ball. In the same situation Honey would be walking the ball in to the goal square after his man gave up half way there.

Honey needs to camp around the centre square and get the ball in the same way he did in the 2s running back towards goal. He also unsurprisingly has a leap so will provide something in the air. Those highlights from Friday were exactly what we needed to see.

Hard to get excited about this at the moment. Can't see a win and can't blame the boys/coaching when it ends up in a loss.

Feels like we're in a holding pattern until we get some players back.
This game will be a cracker, Jatz. Get to the ground and bring some cheese. Big H and Charlie love the perfect conditions of Marvel. We haven't lost a game there this year. Freo are playing awesome footy, but this is still a very winnable game, despite our injuries. If we get on top, the roar of the Carlton faithful will get the boys over the line!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Boyd - Young - Newman
HB: Saad - Plowman - Docherty

C: Setterfield - Cripps - O'Brien
OB: De Koning - Hewett - Walsh

HF: Honey - Curnow - Fisher
FF: Durdin - McKay - Owies

Interchange: Silvagni, Kennedy, Cottrell & Stocker
____

Changes.
Setterfield IN for Newnes (omit)
Stocker IN for Durdin (inj)
Honey IN for Martin (inj/omit)

I think we can do it…freo coming off the bye…Marvel suits us…last time we lost pittonet early…havent seen the boys throw in the towel yet so don’t think they will this weekend
this is a team that would have lain down thursday night and lost by 8 goals a couple of seasons back - instead we persisted and got within 3 points (sort of)

This game will be a cracker, Jatz. Get to the ground and bring some cheese. Big H and Charlie love the perfect conditions of Marvel. We haven't lost a game there this year. Freo are playing awesome footy, but this is still a very winnable game, despite our injuries. If we get on top, the roar of the Carlton faithful will get the boys over the line!
speaking of crowds, a 40k navy mob will play a big part for us - are you listening 40k navy mob? are you? well? hello?

Not as worried about this game as I probably should be, got a Feeling We’re gunna Spank ‘em. Lotsa Freo people over here think they’ve already won, gettin’ ahead of themselves again. They do that a lot in the West.
no room in melbourne for 2 getting ahead of themselves, complacent, arrogant, she'll be right clubs - out they go, with a big heave ho..............

FB: Boyd - Young - Newman
HB: Saad - Plowman - Docherty

C: Setterfield - Cripps - O'Brien
OB: De Koning - Hewett - Walsh

HF: Honey - Curnow - Fisher
FF: Durdin - McKay - Owies

Interchange: Silvagni, Kennedy, Cottrell & Stocker
____

Changes.
Setterfield IN for Newnes (omit)
Stocker IN for Durdin (inj)
Honey IN for Martin (inj/omit)
Defence is too short, need to give Kemp a opportunity till we get some players back.

Always hard to play when you lose consistently in the ruck, since you are positioning to defend the opposition mids from the start of each stoppage, in an attempt to shark the tap to advantage.

Can be done, but bloody hard work, more so since 666 rule meant you can't stack the edge of the contested area anymore as the ball drops to the outside. This is where we've been beaten, on the outside of the pack.

That being said, we are in top 6 this year without a clear ruck dominance for most of the season, and in the mix for the 4 points almost every week. That says a hell of a lot about our excellent playing group.

Not worried, we are setting up a potential premiership window by doing it the hard way, instead of just getting a dream run one year like Dogs and Dees did

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We really need to spread their defence. Last time around Ryan and Logue were able surround CC and stop him moving (much the same way the Pies did) with H barely able to run. When we bring the ball through the middle of the ground at Marvel those 2 are unstoppable.

We really need to spread their defence. Last time around Ryan and Logue were able surround CC and stop him moving (much the same way the Pies did) with H barely able to run. When we bring the ball through the middle of the ground at Marvel those 2 are unstoppable.

Also don’t forget Jack didn’t play last time v Freo either which is probably just as important a factor as you mention above because he will require attention and not allow their defenders to double team Charlie and Harry.

It’ll be interesting to see what Freo do selection wise as they may have to drop a small for a tall if Tabs is back (which is likely) so Logue can go back to play on Charlie like he did in Round 6.

If they drop Logue (who’s been playing forward with Tabs out) they’ll have to play Cox on Charlie, Pearce on McKay and Ryan on Sos not allowing them to play either Cox or Ryan in their preferred help defender role.

like the Idea of Saad in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back