Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings are a massive issue

Cottrell better at Marvel has less space to get lost in.

In LOB, Honey, Pitto, Dow
Out Hayes, Durdin, JSOS, newnes

Could do Gov if he pulled up ok

Cerra to do some wing work and give Dow a run in the guts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Personally I’d give Gov another week in the twos to build his fitness base, his soft tissue injury history as bad any anyone’s in the league and given we are playing on a quick marvel deck and he’s coming off limited minutes I’d give him a full game in the VFL and then bring him in the following week.

Ins: Pitto to work in tandem with TDK, 60/40 split in Pitto’s favour and I’d also bring LOB back in, we really missed his kicks to advantage last night.

Outs: JSOS, he’s been sore for weeks and GWS play two big rucks so it makes sense to give him a week off. Toss up between Newnes and Hayes, but Voss has typically given new additions to the team more than a week to prove themselves so think it will be Newnes who goes out.

Getting ahead of myself here, but for the following week I’d bring back Sos and give TDK a rest as he too has been playing sore.

Plow and Newman will be on notice pending gov’s pending return.

Setterfield LOB Dow Mcgovern and Pitto have aren’t the right to get back in this side. A few players stood out (or should I say didn’t stand out) as not up to the Geelong standard. I’d say they were either poor and struggled with the pressure or were completely unnoticed throughout the game.

Out: Cotterell (can play sub again), Newnes, Plowman, Hayes, and Durdin.

Setterfield > Cotterell
Dow > Hayes
Pittonet > Durdin (SOS/TDK more forward time)
McGovern > Plowman
LOB > Newnes

If this eventuates it’ll be the strongest side we’ve had on the park all year. Time to get players playing for their finals spots.

OUT: Plowman, Hayes, Newnes, C.Durdin
IN: McGovern, Setterfield, O'Brien, Dow

The plan against Geelong was to use both wing positions as drop-in defenders, and then attack more via the skill and read of our smaller defenders. Geelong then hurried the crap out of Docherty once he got the football (which wasn't hard) and shutdown all avenues for Saad, and our extra defensive look was largely ineffective as the zone coverage was eventually blown through Geelong's work rate, mass of opportunities, and patience & skill by foot.

That super-dour horse s**t can * right off, starting now. It won't win finals, and it won't win games without an enormous amount of game sense and concentration, things we've lacked for a very long time, and certainly throughout this season (moreso concentration). Another notable weakness was our lack of acceleration from stoppages if Cripps wasn't getting a clear run, or if TDK was being corralled when winning the football. This was crucial at centre bounces, where we lost the clearance count 6-11.

McGovern can replace Plowman, and actually punish teams when intercepting. Setterfield can replace Hayes and be more effective at both stoppages and getting involved in scoring chains, with the ability to dip into defence or onto the wing if required. O'Brien can replace Newnes and bring offensive run as well as actual speed and foot skills on the outside of the contest. Corey Durdin can rest, after sitting out a third of the game, and Dow brings that stoppage acceleration.

To adjust for this, Cottrell and Walsh can rotate between half-forward and the wing, with an emphasis on Cottrell playing a defensive half-forward role to take the pressure off Motlop a little. Motlop can then attack the ground balls in our F50, and connect with the midfield just outside of it, hopefully setting up a few scores.

FB: Docherty Young McGovern
HB: Stocker Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Cerra O'Brien
HF: Cottrell C.Curnow Fisher
FF: JSOS McKay Motlop

R: TDK Cripps Hewett

Int: Kennedy, Newman, Dow, Setterfield

Another benefit of this line-up is that if we're lacking some match-up wins in defence or midfield, we can make the following moves:

Docherty: deep defender --> deep/defensive wing
McGovern: third defender --> third forward
Saad: small running defender --> wing
Stocker: general defender --> deep wing or inside mid

Cripps: inside mid --> third forward
Hewett: balanced mid --> wing or general defender
Kennedy: inside mid --> third forward
JSOS: third forward --> inside mid
Fisher: attacking midfielder/high half forward --> wing
Cottrell: defensive forward --> wing
Setterfield: balanced mid --> defensive wing/attacking midfielder
Like these changes Jimm. Except for Setterfield, prefer to squeeze Pitto in and play TDK as a ruck/fwd.
Use Dow and Saad, with their elite reflex's and fast ball movement through the middle at times (also try Stocker, he's a strong mid and an average defender). Just like to see Voss prepared to mix things up and be more daring at selection time.
We've got absolutely nothing to lose by trialing different mid setups, our current preferred model is going to be severely tested against the best sides.

That’s not an unpopular opinion. That’s a rubbish opinion.

Weitering is leagues above our other KPDs in every facet.

I didn’t feel Hawkins got the better of him too much despite the much cleaner inside 50s.
Let's put that arrogance aside for a second. I love Weiters, he was in AA form before he got injured, but you cannot possibly tell me that he is anywhere close to near his best over the last 2 weeks.

As others have already mentioned, he has definitely lost (or isn't confident) in his contested marking ability, looks almost struggling to list his injured arm up, while seemingly had concrete in his boots all night and moved like a sloth.

Hopefully it's a just a bit of rust but I've been really disappointed.

I think our mid group have been wavering without pitto. Our main advantage seems to be gone for the moment. Even when one of our mids get the ball first we struggle to get it out cleanly with hand balling/run and carry.

I’m getting a little disappointed in cerra’s games recently. Doesn’t have explosiveness/strength and usually gets caught/tackled with ball in hand.

We look slow through the middle. I think we need to mix it up a bit.

Is Cerra in midfield/on ball group or as winger best for overall team balance ?

Would Dow in the guts and cerra to wing work out better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'LOB is useless, drop him and never play him again'

Couple of days later:

'LOB needs to come in for his kicking'

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Its a dilemma.

LOB is useless in one on one situations and Hayes is not too bad in this aspect.

Hayes on the other hand had a fair few miskicks but our whole team suffered with this as well.

Ideally we allow Hayes another 2 weeks to assess properly. He may well be only vfl quality but need to give him time to adjust at this level.

Even if Hayes doesn’t make best 22 we know LOB also struggles. We need to bring in some quality wingers at some stage I reckon.

If Sholl rumour turns out to be correct seems he is another that has a mix of good/poor qualities.

'LOB is useless, drop him and never play him again'

Couple of days later:

'LOB needs to come in for his kicking'

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Give him 5 or so weeks out of the team... he'll suddenly be a missing best 22 star ;)

I don't know what to think about Weiters.

On one hand I do think he tends to be one who struggles to get his mojo a bit after coming back from injury, but once he engages full Weiterbot mode, it's all gravy.

On the other hand he might be really hampered.

Let's put that arrogance aside for a second. I love Weiters, he was in AA form before he got injured, but you cannot possibly tell me that he is anywhere close to near his best over the last 2 weeks.

As others have already mentioned, he has definitely lost (or isn't confident) in his contested marking ability, looks almost struggling to list his injured arm up, while seemingly had concrete in his boots all night and moved like a sloth.

Hopefully it's a just a bit of rust but I've been really disappointed.
Took a few rounds to get going after injury at the start of the year, he just needs to get through the next couple to be ready for the home stretch

We have 4 games to go, two against teams below and two above, we can’t be taking the lower teams lightly and rest players unless we have to, if Pitto is ready, play him and if Gov is ready put him in, if not don’t rush them.

If we need to rest players, target the Brisbane game and be fresh for the last two rounds in Melbourne, I have no idea how or why teams are given to interstate trips in a row, Adelaide then Brisbane, hat a joke.

On Hayes, what is his decision making like in VFL? Looks like he knows how to find the ball but his decision making last night was way below the standard of an AFL player.

Pitto > JSOS (rest)
Newnes > Setters (reward good form)

-Would give McGov another week in the 2s
-Hayes deserves an extended go at it
-Durdin had a poor game but was brilliant last week. Toughest position in footy. Stays

We have 4 games to go, two against teams below and two above, we can’t be taking the lower teams lightly and rest players unless we have to, if Pitto is ready, play him and if Gov is ready put him in, if not don’t rush them.

If we need to rest players, target the Brisbane game and be fresh for the last two rounds in Melbourne, I have no idea how or why teams are given to interstate trips in a row, Adelaide then Brisbane, hat a joke.

On Hayes, what is his decision making like in VFL? Looks like he knows how to find the ball but his decision making last night was way below the standard of an AFL player.

5 games DD

GWS, Crows, Lions, Dees, Pies

I think our mid group have been wavering without pitto. Our main advantage seems to be gone for the moment. Even when one of our mids get the ball first we struggle to get it out cleanly with hand balling/run and carry.

I’m getting a little disappointed in cerra’s games recently. Doesn’t have explosiveness/strength and usually gets caught/tackled with ball in hand.

We look slow through the middle. I think we need to mix it up a bit.

Is Cerra in midfield/on ball group or as winger best for overall team balance ?

Would Dow in the guts and cerra to wing work out better?

Not sure Dow has the tank to cover Cerra’s midfield minutes. Puts a lot of pressure on Walsh, Cripps and Hewett.

I do like the idea of Cerra to a wing but think Carroll will be the 5th guy to accomodate that in time.

5 games DD

GWS, Crows, Lions, Dees, Pies

GWS in melbourne - confident we can win this one

Crows in adelaide - bit wary of this one

Lions at the Gabba - very low confidence in this one

Dees - low confidence

Pies - reasobale chance if mcgov and pitto back in the side and no further injuries to key players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back