Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe the pies have won 8 in row, yes some lucky wins but they keep playing well every week,
blues must beat them last game otherwise we don't deserve to make the8.

Doing the ladder predictor, I go through many permutations and still come back to: If we win Adelaide and gws we play Collingwood for a home final in the last round with the winner of that game coming in 6th and loser 7th.

I cannot believe the pies have won 8 in row, yes some lucky wins but they keep playing well every week,
blues must beat them last game otherwise we don't deserve to make the8.
IMO there’s a lot of Hawthorn 2018 about Pies this year - not sustainable and likely false dawn - and there’s lot of Melbourne 2018 about us…building towards something tangible and exciting.

IMO there’s a lot of Hawthorn 2018 about Pies this year - not sustainable and likely false dawn - and there’s lot of Melbourne 2018 about us…building towards something tangible and exciting.
Wats surprising me, is the pies are meant to be rebuilding, how they are able to maintain high level of footy winning so many games in a row!

Wats surprising me, is the pies are meant to be rebuilding, how they are able to maintain high level of footy winning so many games in a row!
They been rebuilding on the run since 2018-19 a bit like Sydney -- they have a lot of youth under there older core without the high draft picks .. other than Howe there back 6 has a good 6 years in it under Moore ..father sons have helped cover there poor list management also

We simply have to re jig things so Dow can play..... He is a cut above VFL and a SHI-T LOAD better than Hayes or Newnes.

Watched VFL yesterday and he was exceptional again, has the ball on a string and his ability to get it off by hand in heavy traffic is just SO GOOD!

And I know Hayes numbers good but..... execution overall woeful. Back to the VFL.

Cotterell and Durdin also have been poor for a few weeks now.

Lob back, Martin and Mc Gov for Newnes , Hayes, Cotterell . Durdin one more week to impress?

Pitto one more in the VFL probably .

Martin to the wing, McGov to half back and Dow in the guts with Cerra to other wing rotation.
Martin does not work anywhere near hard enough to be on the wing. A lazy footballer. Offers little on what he has shown so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel very confident about 2 decisions on changes:

• Pitto WILL be in
  • MCG will NOT

Pitto has the massive advantage of not needing to play huge minutes. He could get away with 65/70 percent game time.

MCG can’t get away with that. He also looked slightly rusty yesterday, albeit also looked terrific at stages.
Pittonet couldn't keep his feet way too often and was on reduced minutes, all while being unable to accelerate to a level I'm happy with. McGovern kept lifting his standard as the game progressed, and willed himself to win the game for the team.

We also can't afford anyone to be sitting sub 70% game time with the way out small forwards, wings and some contested mids have had to work to cover for our pressure issues, especially with the minor changes you've put forward.

McGovern can step in and do 80%+ if he's not dealing with hamstring tightness in the aftermath.
They will want to move on from a few players slowly but surely. Won’t name them due to it igniting another round of arguing.
Name them, please, though maybe in the List Management thread. I'd appreciate the discussion and perspective.

GWS isnt Geelong - that is the first point to understand when thinking about wholesale team changes- especially when the Club's own coach says that continuity and team cohesion is extremely important. Change is reluctant in MC now and usually has occurred only when forced by very poor form or injury.

Some points to consider for the coming match.

1. GWS don't have a Bliclavs option to go in on Cripps at the height of a ruckman and the run of Walsh- so the midfield battle will be much more straightforward and forward fifty entries much cleaner and better so scoring ability should increase. ojh and BTW if Pittonet was trucking against a bloke who had eyes mostly for TDK and not teh ball all night as in Stanley - Pittonet would know exactly what to do and how to handle this type - which would cancel out the Bliclavs and one more mid double teaming Croipsp strategy.

2. Geelong were very clean with ball and disposal last night and were able to match teh moidfield for teh most part but especially spoil and continue to spoil contests not conceding clean exits to Carlton - GWS will nto be able to apply this type of pressure.

3. At Marvel and against less polished opponents Durdin/Motlop/Cottrell and Hayes will beable to exploit their running power to greater effect.

So what changes make sense given what we have witnessed ?

1. If Pittonet is fit he is first in - because it tilts the midfield battle back towards Carlton's favour AND at the same time improves teh forward lines and defensive lines - TDK stays in teh side as #2 ruckman and third tall forward.

2. IF McGovern is deemed fit he is an automatic entry because of his intercepting AND field kicking ability - he can split the defensive lines with his kicking forward fo teh fifty arc - no one else in the backline has shown this ability.

For those inclined to sign Setterfield's praises - watch VFL - same for Dow - big NO from me as in HARD NO.

Owies has done a calf as has Martin and these injuries are either a week or much much longer so I wouldn't be counting on Owies availability unfortunately.

My INS are Pittonet ( and I would say 90% chance of this ) and McGovern ( and I would say maybe a 70% chance of this coming back from his hammy)

The only problem Carlton has is the same it has had all year and that is it is missing two quality wingmen and Vossd has been rotating players all year through that position - finally ending up with Hayes ( who had a shocker) and Cottrell who was even less effective - with Newnes as a rotation ( who had one of his less effective games)

IN: Pittonet
OUT: one of Newnes/Cottrell/Hayes ( probably Hayes after Voss's mute assessment post match)
In: McGovern OUT: One of Stocker or Plowman

If Owies is fit - doubt that Voss will drop either Durdin or Motlop ...

Docherty Young Newman
Saad Weitering McGovern

Cottrell Cripps Newnes
Pittonet Cerra Walsh

Fisher TDK Durdin
Charlie Harry Motlop

IC: SOJ Kennedy Stocker Owies

EM: Plowman

I feel very confident about 2 decisions on changes:

• Pitto WILL be in
  • MCG will NOT

Pitto has the massive advantage of not needing to play huge minutes. He could get away with 65/70 percent game time.

MCG can’t get away with that. He also looked slightly rusty yesterday, albeit also looked terrific at stages.

I think they will go.

In: Pitto, LOB
Out: Durdin, Hayes

I think Hayes misses a week due to the concussion of Menegola.

I don’t expect a lot of changes. 6 day break coming back from Perth and coming up against a white hot Cats outfit in super windy conditions will make them happy to forgive the game.

They will want to move on from a few players slowly but surely. Won’t name them due to it igniting another round of arguing.

Pittonet couldn't keep his feet way too often and was on reduced minutes, all while being unable to accelerate to a level I'm happy with. McGovern kept lifting his standard as the game progressed, and willed himself to win the game for the team.

We also can't afford anyone to be sitting sub 70% game time with the way out small forwards, wings and some contested mids have had to work to cover for our pressure issues, especially with the minor changes you've put forward.

McGovern can step in and do 80%+ if he's not dealing with hamstring tightness in the aftermath.

Name them, please, though maybe in the List Management thread. I'd appreciate the discussion and perspective.

Pitto will play this week, embrace it

3 changes max, forget the whipping boys for the underperforming favourites, won't happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Hayes, Durdin, Newnes

In: Pitto, LoB, Setterfield

Hayes got 2 weeks from the MRO.

Durdin has been well off it.

I know, I know Arrow, Newnes won’t be dropped. And I know, I know Setters has deficiencies in his game. But he busted a gut in the VFL (even if his disposal was poor) and there’s a chance they’ll reward him.

McGov another week in the seconds.

Owies and Martin can get match fitness in the VFL. (Assuming they’re both OK).

JSOS not playing ruck will help him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Martin does not work anywhere near hard enough to be on the wing. A lazy footballer. Offers little on what he has shown so far.
Challenge him to do the work required, IMO he works hard in the mid size forward role he plays, lays tackles and makes space........ not lazy, laconic.

I think he would rise to it and his silky skills, creativity and strength overhead would be real weapons.

We need to try something different on our wings, they are our weakest position and constantly doing the same thing is not working.

Lob is better than Newnes or Hayes on one wing but his weaknesses are well documented and we need to try alternatives IMO.

Time to think outside the square. Fish, Cerra and Martin rotating is what I would like to see happen.

Last edited:
2 blokes picked up Fisher and speared him into the ground.

And this is the only incident they have noticed?
Fisher made the mistake of hitting the ground with his head whilst in the company of two gentlemen from Geelong is the official story I've heard.

Hayes 2 week suspension

Not a big loss but gee gotta feel for Hayes.

Given our whole team struggled vs Geelong he may have got another crack at a far weaker opponent on a dry deck this week.

Play well this week and another weak opponent in Adelaide and he may have played himself into another contract. Now, his time at AFL level could be done.

Conversely, this might be the lucky break LOB needed.

In; Pitto, completely changes so many aspects of the line up, TDK becomes 2nd ruck /forward, JSOS full time forward, as mentioned allows both Harry and Charlie to roam.... for Durdin/Motlop, I know it's not like for like but straightens up the team, one stays in until Owies is fit
McGov, as the third tall defender, intercept mark, exit kick strengthens defence, frees up Doc and Saad to exploit midfield gaps without being forced to jump and spoil... for Plowman
Setters/Dow; one in for Hayes, reckon Cunningham almost walks into the wing when fit..

In; Pitto, completely changes so many aspects of the line up, TDK becomes 2nd ruck /forward, JSOS full time forward, as mentioned allows both Harry and Charlie to roam.... for Durdin/Motlop, I know it's not like for like but straightens up the team, one stays in until Owies is fit
McGov, as the third tall defender, intercept mark, exit kick strengthens defence, frees up Doc and Saad to exploit midfield gaps without being forced to jump and spoil... for Plowman
Setters/Dow; one in for Hayes, reckon Cunningham almost walks into the wing when fit..
Dont want to be a smart ass but how often is he fit? He and Marchy cannot be relied on, they would need many weeks in the 2s to prove they are half a chance to make it at AFL level.

Dont want to be a smart ass but how often is he fit? He and Marchy cannot be relied on, they would need many weeks in the 2s to prove they are half a chance to make it at AFL level.
Fair point, but when he is fit he is a far better option than almost any other tried on the wing this year, might be that missing link come finals..... bit nervous mentioning the 'f' word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back