Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitto & Gov would both benefit from at least another game in the 2s.
LOB incoming change for Hayes, is the obvious and probably only change.
Next few games are no gimmes in fact all remaining games are challenging, last three very tough indeed.
Go Baggers , give us finals in 2022.
Rather get games into Pitto and Gov against average opponents in GWS and the Crows to ensure that they're good to go come the Lions.

GWS, GC, North and Adelaide the past month, so what? We have played the same teams. The only thing that separates the draw is who you play twice and they haven’t got any easier run than us, if our run home was tough, it’s because our earlier season was easy.

We play two of those teams the next two weeks, but they have had an easy draw?

Every team we play twice missed the finals last year.
GWS finished 7th last year.

Our draw on paper at the start of the year looked ok - We finished bottom 6 in 2021, and for the teams we play twice in 2022, there are two teams that finished below us (Pies, Adel); two teams above us, but out of the 8 (Freo, Tigs) and one team in the lower part of the 8 (GWS).

We lucked out with our high-ranked team (GWS) falling significantly this year, but on the other hand, Pies, Freo and Richmond have all had much better years, and all look likely to finish in the 8. With 3/5 teams in the 8, it's turned into a difficult draw - also with 6 interstate matches.

Big eye opener against a good side, saw where our weaknesses are and where we need to improve. We need to roll the dice because without at least one third tall defender and weak wingmen we will stand no chance against the better sides. This means McGovern, Marchbank, Pittonet and Williams have to without a doubt return early.

B: McGovern Weitering Plowman
HB: Saad Young Docherty
C: Setterfield Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher DeKoning Walsh
F: Durdin McKay Curnow
OB: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
IC: Newman Kennedy Motlop Silvagni
SUB: Kemp

OUT: Newnes Stocker Hayes
IN: Setterfield McGovern Pittonet

Next few weeks you bring in Marchbank for Plowman and Williams for Newman. If Owies or Martin get up, probably need to find a spot for either of them too.
Stocker?
Thought he played well…

For me Pittonet in is a given. I am certain Blicavs would not have the same effect on Crippa with Pitto’s big body running interference.

I have never been a big fan of McGovern, but has been “ready” for a while now. Undoubtedly is going to be given the opportunity to revisit the role he played for the first couple of weeks. Having a genuine third tall defender will be a massive boost for Young and an apparently underdone Weitering. Comes in for mine, build the synergy as we head for a finals campaign. (I am more invested in Kemp and Marchbank, but Gov gets the chance to make or break).

Hoping we appeal the Hayes suspension and would not be against him getting another go in a seemingly lower pressure game after a baptism of fire. Realistically though, our forward connection is a big issue, despite his shortcomings our best wing option remains Lochie O’Brien. LOB has been given another wake up call. Five games plus finals to go, he must be compelled to raise the bar on physicality. If he can’t or won’t do it now, he never will, and will face the prospect of delisting if we can secure alternative options (such as Sholl)

In: Pittonet, McGovern, O’Brien
Out: Silvagni (managed), dare I say Plowman or Newnes, Hayes (happy for it to be Newnes if Hayes gets reprieved)

Love Durdin, but said preseason he would need managing due to the manic nature of his game and his relative lack of endurance work over his time in the system. No problem if he is legitimately managed to freshen for the run home.

Every game I've been to with my partner Paddy Dow has played in and we've won - likely going this weekend with her so I suspect Paddy Dow will play and we'll win!

He was starting to play better footy and imagine being used properly by a good coach and not teague......would be a handy player to be able to name in the 22 if form was good. has attirbute we would love to be able to have on the park, burst and speed.
I'm not so sure he was starting to play better footy.

His last 3 games before his knee:
17 touches, no goal
25 touches, 2 goals
12 touches, 1 goal

Wasn't really a career altering form line and is inline with his career. The 2nd game, vs Essendon, was a standout but he'd had individual games like that before. 28 vs Essendon the year before and 21 & 2 goals the year before that vs Collingwood.

He does have the x-factor attributes that are exciting but at no point did he show a consistent formline to indicate he'd ever be anything more than a flash in the pan, which is a shame because as I said those attributes are very exciting and when put together for that 1 game a season it was exceptional. He was Judd-esque in how he'd burst from stoppages at times.

I'm not so sure he was starting to play better footy.

His last 3 games before his knee:
17 touches, no goal
25 touches, 2 goals
12 touches, 1 goal

Wasn't really a career altering form line and is inline with his career. The 2nd game, vs Essendon, was a standout but he'd had individual games like that before. 28 vs Essendon the year before and 21 & 2 goals the year before that vs Collingwood.

He does have the x-factor attributes that are exciting but at no point did he show a consistent formline to indicate he'd ever be anything more than a flash in the pan, which is a shame because as I said those attributes are very exciting and when put together for that 1 game a season it was exceptional. He was Judd-esque in how he'd burst from stoppages at times.

well if you are basing it off stats for those 3 games, ave of 18 touches and a goal a game, id take that.....:think:

not many players at carlton who were playing like he was who havent played better footy under voss (Fish, Cotts, LOB, Kennedy, etc). the ACL has ****ed him over royally as he was getting to the age where he would go the next level (if he had that ability) - now its wasted 2 years of prime devlopment

Pitto & Gov would both benefit from at least another game in the 2s.
LOB incoming change for Hayes, is the obvious and probably only change.
Next few games are no gimmes in fact all remaining games are challenging, last three very tough indeed.
Go Baggers , give us finals in 2022.
I believe there will be quite a few changes this week judging by Voss after the game, he seemed quite disappointed in the performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be my first time back in Melbourne for almost 3 years when I land sunday morning.
Straight from the airport to Marvel to get amongst it with you my fellow bluebaggers - can't wait!!!
Hope there's about 40,000 of us there making some noise for the boys.
Will be the first I've seen the Giants play in the flesh.

Suppose I'm looking forward to some family time also...

If our forward pressure is down now, not sure what it’s going to look like with Charlie, Harry, TDK and JSOS in the team at the same time.

I at least hope they’ll be rotated so no more than 3 of them are in the forward 6 at any given point.

If our forward pressure is down now, not sure what it’s going to look like with Charlie, Harry, TDK and JSOS in the team at the same time.

I at least hope they’ll be rotated so no more than 3 of them are in the forward 6 at any given point.
I think you just answered the question yourself, we cannot possibly play 4 talls in the forward line (or backline for the matter either) for that exact reason.

Not sure why. We flogged them up there not that long ago. Now we go to the ground that we play our best footy at.

Logic would suggest that we take care of them fairly easily.
1658118370671.png

This history still scares me. Other than our win in Round 9, we literally have beaten them once since they were a basketcase new side.

View attachment 1449806

This history still scares me. Other than our win in Round 9, we literally have beaten them once since they were a basketcase new side.

Good sides usually beat bad sides (they were really good and we were really bad....)

now we are good and they are bad......result will follow the trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back