Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 forced of course with Cripps, Pitto if fit a no brainer and Durds with covid another no brainer

So 2 other changes wasn't wielding an axe
That's what I said....

And there are more to come as more players come back from injury. I can't see gov, cunners, honey, Stocker (yes I know he's back already) being kept out of the team much longer and Cripps will come back too.

Kemp and others pushing too

If your seconds are performing and there's a performance lacking the fundamental desire toughness and commitment shown like last week changes are easy. There's still players in the firsts who haven't put together a full good game yet. Very patchy.

Every premiership team has serviceable players who are just mature bodies that play a role. No one has a team full of stars or super talented players.
A few immediately spring to mind:

Melbourne - Petty, Hibberd, Harmes (though Harmes has improved)
Richmond - Castagna, McIntosh, Lambert
Lambert was a B&F winner in a premiership year, can play.

I like that our first really poor performance and Voss rings the changes...rewarding guys for VFL form.

Newnes and Cottrell - we know they'll bring grunt and tackling pressure. Been in the bests in VFL, good for them. I respect their hard work and attitude.

I haven't watched Dow, just seen the stats. While the stats seem impressive, has his disposals actually been clean and damaging? Is he running defensively and tackling to a better standard? These are the questions I have. If the answer is no, then happy for him to not get the call up.

The item in bold is my observation, looks good with the pill

That's what I said....

And there are more to come as more players come back from injury. I can't see gov, cunners, honey, Stocker (yes I know he's back already) being kept out of the team much longer and Cripps will come back too.

Kemp and others pushing too

If your seconds are performing and there's a performance lacking the fundamental desire toughness and commitment shown like last week changes are easy. There's still players in the firsts who haven't put together a full good game yet. Very patchy.

Better output is a given.

Apart from the early rebuild years, where i preferred the kids getting games, I have never worried about the names or reputation, just team ethos output

I'm more interested in that our changes aren't necessarily like-for-like as much as they had been.

We've dropped TDK but haven't selected a forward to replace him. I guess it means one of Newnes or Cottrell will mainly play forward?

I also wonder whether Cottrell will play wing or defensive half forward

I could see Cottrell playing as the defensive half forward ( I think it could work) - maybe him playing more to stop the ball getting out rather than being our delivery into the forward line (from the wing)

but surprised that LOB is out and that may mean Cottrell is just being rewarded for his efforts, I hope he has improved his disposal and he hits a few targets in Navy Blue

Happy LOB is out. I love his positioning and kicking but he has to figure out how to win a ground ball and stop missing tackles. He will be back if he can sort out that aspect of his game. I think he has elite traits but I just can’t stand the one on ones he is dishing up this year.

Lambert was a B&F winner in a premiership year, can play.

Yeah but that's because clubs value things the media and players don't necessarily see. Pretty sure most supporters didn't have Plowman as perennial top 5 Carlton players but the club thought otherwise over the years.

Lambert is a mature age pick up who is mostly known for his hard running, physicality and determination. Not his silky foot skills or anything like that, that's kind of the point I'm making with people questioning Newnes' selection.

I also wonder whether Cottrell will play wing or defensive half forward

I could see Cottrell playing as the defensive half forward ( I think it could work) - maybe him playing more to stop the ball getting out rather than being our delivery into the forward line (from the wing)

but surprised that LOB is out and that may mean Cottrell is just being rewarded for his efforts, I hope he has improved his disposal and he hits a few targets in Navy Blue

Someone said Cottrell has been playing a bit of half forward in the VFL?

So Newnes probably on the wing. Cottrell mostly high half forward. I feel like Newnes could play the half high forward role pretty well too, has shown to be a decent kick for goal in his time with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the ins, would have preferred to keep LOB in and drop Marrtin, but I understand what the MC are trying to achieve and like the message it sends.

I feel that this week has massive season ramifications and if we can manage to jag a win I think it would have such a positive impact to the mindset of the team in terms of winning without Crip that it could see us nail 3-4 in a row and go on a bit of a run with our tails up.

We all know that Gray almost always tears us a new one and we have to watch Georgideis and Rozee in a similar vein and if we can nullify these 3 I think it will go a long way to winning the game. Port also get great drive out of their wingers hence Vossy bring in the hard nosed and hard running pair of Cotters and Newnes to limit Houston and Amon.

I’m staggered that Aliir is back after 3 week, Walsh is super human and he did it in 5-6 weeks so that prob makes Aliir a genetic freak and or Port is being desperate and negligent in rushing him back.

Going to be a great game.

Both have been doing pretty well in vfl. Both are a lot harder at the ball than Lochie
Lochie isn’t a hard ball getter though. Never understood this notion about every single player having to go in hard for the footy. He is a winger which means uncontested ball.. id be concerned if he had to win his own ball. Kid had a ripping left foot on him. Bit stiff on the omission

Lochie isn’t a hard ball getter though. Never understood this notion about every single player having to go in hard for the footy. He is a winger which means uncontested ball.. id be concerned if he had to win his own ball. Kid had a ripping left foot on him. Bit stiff on the omission
He also showed terrible awareness losing Rosas at a boundary throw in deep in the form line that cost us a goal. Those sort of things are unforgivable. He has played one good game out of 4 (vs Bulldogs) this year so I thinks it’s fair enough.

Happy LOB is out. I love his positioning and kicking but he has to figure out how to win a ground ball and stop missing tackles. He will be back if he can sort out that aspect of his game. I think he has elite traits but I just can’t stand the one on ones he is dishing up this year.
Spot on, they are non existent making him a weak link in the chain.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Seems obvious to me that our problem in the last two games is defense. TDK was liable to be sent back eventually despite my post about his being there to learn. Parks will bring some tough Ken Hunter style ball attack. Newnes always does his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back