Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lochie isn’t a hard ball getter though. Never understood this notion about every single player having to go in hard for the footy. He is a winger which means uncontested ball.. id be concerned if he had to win his own ball. Kid had a ripping left foot on him. Bit stiff on the omission
No player should be getting 2 contested possesions in a 20 touch game i don’t care who you are

Someone said Cottrell has been playing a bit of half forward in the VFL?

So Newnes probably on the wing. Cottrell mostly high half forward. I feel like Newnes could play the half high forward role pretty well too, has shown to be a decent kick for goal in his time with us.
Wasn’t the consensus that they tried him in this role at Aints and he was no good at it and his input dropped off? This led to him being a Blue the next year..

LoB pretty stiff to get dropped IMO
He can’t even get the easier part of contested possessions - ’loose ball gets. He is not hitting the scoreboard. His pressure acts and tackles are non existent. His kicking efficiency is average. His metres gained are average. Each week he is reliably unreliable.

Cottrell will produce better this week.

Voss knows the formula for us to win. Win the contested ball, apply pressure and be unrelenting in our physicality. He’s picked a team to do this. The ins are all reliable from a defensive and effort standpoint. Now over to the players to deliver for us.

M Kennedy in line of fire now on that front. His transition running is just too slow. As a package Cripps, Kennedy and Hewitt is hard to see lasting IMO.
He's gotta show more grunt when he's having a bad day.

The best players turn bad days into something. Crunch some tackles, show some smarts. Hope he bounces back because I agree with you re Kennedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandon Ellis won 3 flags
Better footballer than Newnes, not that I think he’s great, didn’t want him when it was rumoured

Playing limited footballers at 29 years of age seems a bit pointless to me when we have talented youngsters who can’t get a game

Each to their own though, no big deal I spose

Every premiership team has serviceable players who are just mature bodies that play a role. No one has a team full of stars or super talented players.
A few immediately spring to mind:

Melbourne - Petty, Hibberd, Harmes (though Harmes has improved)
Richmond - Castagna, McIntosh, Lambert
Of course, but what are the chances of him playing in one atm? He’s 29 and I think we all agree it won’t be this season

I’d just like to be playing players who might be in our next premiership team at this point in time but as I just said elsewhere, no biggie

Of course, but what are the chances of him playing in one atm? He’s 29 and I think we all agree it won’t be this season

I’d just like to be playing players who might be in our next premiership team at this point in time but as I just said elsewhere, no biggie
I think thats the wrong way to look at it. We want players that get us to finals and then a grandfinal. Worry about who plays in it then.
Some that will play in it are still developing nicely. They will get their turn.

Well done Cotters.

Deserved his in after last week.

Just about the only guy we have available who is guaranteed to give a fit Walshy a challenge for distance covered over the course of a game.

Last week his gut running added scoreboard pressure.

If his ball use can get closer to his work rate then he's a helluva player.

Good in.

Better footballer than Newnes, not that I think he’s great, didn’t want him when it was rumoured

Playing limited footballers at 29 years of age seems a bit pointless to me when we have talented youngsters who can’t get a game

Each to their own though, no big deal I spose
Erm who? What talented youngster can't get a game on the wing? With the obvious condition that they're actually fit and healthy and ready for selection?

Voss has made it clear he's playing and picking players in their best positions... That'd mean if lob and setters are deemed to need a run in the 2s then wingers will be picked as replacements.

I would love to see Carroll there but he's not fully fit yet, either is Philp...

So again, who is this youngster who can't get a game on the wing?

I'm a fan of LOB and see the things he does good moreso than the bad. But as a club, we need to reward the players in the 2s who are doing what is asked of them.

Newnes has been very good thus far and LOB has some things to work on.

The communication from coach to player about what they need to see moving forward is clear and I'm sure LOB understands and takes it on the chin. He will work on what has been asked no doubt.

We must reward our players in the twos if they are doing well no matter the age. If it improves our seniors, I'm all for it and tells the entire playing list: if you aren't cutting it in the 1sts you're not safe, along with telling the players in the 2s: if you do what we ask to a high standard, you'll get rewarded.

I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back