Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we lose I can foresee many a “we lost this at selection” or “we panicked at selection” posts

But as others have said, I like that the club is rewarding form in the 2s. It sends the right message that consistency of form will put you in a consideration for the firsts.

The reason Jack M and Zac weren’t replaced is because there’s no obvious replacements with Honey out, Motlop coming out of Health and Safety, Kemp not entirely clicking as a forward and Philp drifting in and out of games (because of injury / fitness most likely). Stock and Dow certainly should not be put in those roles.

Carroll and Motts hopefully play Sunday morning. Philp hopefully gets more fitness and game time under his belt. Honey can’t be far off from playing. All going well, there will be pressure for those spots soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Erm who? What talented youngster can't get a game on the wing? With the obvious condition that they're actually fit and healthy and ready for selection?

Voss has made it clear he's playing and picking players in their best positions... That'd mean if lob and setters are deemed to need a run in the 2s then wingers will be picked as replacements.

I would love to see Carroll there but he's not fully fit yet, either is Philp...

So again, who is this youngster who can't get a game on the wing?
I wouldn’t have dropped O’Brien this week myself

I think thats the wrong way to look at it. We want players that get us to finals and then a grandfinal. Worry about who plays in it then.
Some that will play in it are still developing nicely. They will get their turn.

I'm a fan of LOB and see the things he does good moreso than the bad. But as a club, we need to reward the players in the 2s who are doing what is asked of them.

Newnes has been very good thus far and LOB has some things to work on.

The communication from coach to player about what they need to see moving forward is clear and I'm sure LOB understands and takes it on the chin. He will work on what has been asked no doubt.

We must reward our players in the twos if they are doing well no matter the age. If it improves our seniors, I'm all for it and tells the entire playing list: if you aren't cutting it in the 1sts you're not safe, along with telling the players in the 2s: if you do what we ask to a high standard, you'll get rewarded.

I like it!
Both good points

Better footballer than Newnes, not that I think he’s great, didn’t want him when it was rumoured

Playing limited footballers at 29 years of age seems a bit pointless to me when we have talented youngsters who can’t get a game

Each to their own though, no big deal I spose

Voss has non negotiables in a couple of areas, major one, is you must work hard defensively without the ball

All the players that were dropped have struggled in that department

Erm who? What talented youngster can't get a game on the wing? With the obvious condition that they're actually fit and healthy and ready for selection?

Voss has made it clear he's playing and picking players in their best positions... That'd mean if lob and setters are deemed to need a run in the 2s then wingers will be picked as replacements.

I would love to see Carroll there but he's not fully fit yet, either is Philp...

So again, who is this youngster who can't get a game on the wing?
Setters isn’t dropped though so could quite easily have left him on the wing and brought in Dow for Cripps rather than Newnes. Would have been fair reward for his form in 2’s and gives us some explosive power out of the middle. Not sure Setters gives us anything we don’t already have in middle. Of course Dow’s defensive efforts are still a ? but from what I’ve seen this has improved somewhat although probably not enough yet.

It's not just his endurance, though. His overhead marking has improved markedly; he's outbodying and outleaping larger players to take defensive marks in back 50, running to serve as an option in transition through getting loose through midfield, and taking marks inside 50 on quick breaks. He also has a fair range on him, because unlike someone like Owies - whose penetration weakens due to repeat sprints - he can genuinely run all day and doesn't lose distance through exhaustion.

It also needs to be said that his speed has not stood out to me previously, but in the VFL he's looked genuinely quick this year. I get that VFL speeds are not the same as AFL speeds, but he's not just getting loose he's putting space between himself and a chaser, or gaining ground against someone breaking clear. Either his position is better - which it is - or someone's done some biomechanical work with him to give him a little faster of a break from stop start.

I'd argue that our issues kicking inside 50 are a club problem rather than a personal one for him. We as a club put it on the forward's head, it's not exclusive to Cottrell. It's something that can certainly be coached out, but it needs to happen sooner rather than later.
These were all features of his game previously, and they showed up at senior level. What also showed up was his inability to nail basic passes under the slightest of perceived pressure.
Newnes has played 150 AFL games, he's always tough and serviceable. Cottrell can be relied upon to be cracking in even late in quarters.
We've swapped two guys who can kick for a guy who won't attempt difficult kicks unless he's front of goal, and a guy who really needs a lot of work on his kicking.
Not just defensive workrate - the changes are all players who can win a ground ball

No player should be getting 2 contested possesions in a 20 touch game i don’t care who you are
These are both strange accusations to throw around once you consider Fisher and Newman, particularly Fisher.

I think the biggest issue O'Brien faces is conserving energy in how he attacks and how he commits to helping the team recover after a turnover. I think he cooks himself during games and some stats readily drop away as a result.

Wouldn't expect him to start racking up contested numbers if he fixed that, but I would expect him to be halving and assisting contests. He was our only midfielder really registering in terms of defensive contest stats.

If we lose I can foresee many a “we lost this at selection” or “we panicked at selection” posts

But as others have said, I like that the club is rewarding form in the 2s. It sends the right message that consistency of form will put you in a consideration for the firsts.

The reason Jack M and Zac weren’t replaced is because there’s no obvious replacements with Honey out, Motlop coming out of Health and Safety, Kemp not entirely clicking as a forward and Philp drifting in and out of games (because of injury / fitness most likely). Stock and Dow certainly should not be put in those roles.

Carroll and Motts hopefully play Sunday morning. Philp hopefully gets more fitness and game time under his belt. Honey can’t be far off from playing. All going well, there will be pressure for those spots soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stocker would make a good forward IMO, has all the attributes to impact there (ideally resting from the midfield). Just hasn’t trained it recently.

One more run and he’ll be in contention for the 1’s, though dependent on a defenders position.

Selections were always going to be interesting this week after a bad performance and they tell me a few things about the way the coaches think :
- Pittonet is rated higher than TDK
- Stocker is seen as a backman
- Dow is also rated behind Setters as a mid option (in addition to Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy)
- They weren’t happy with LOB & Setters performance on the wings against the Suns
- They rate what Durdin and Owies bring to the team
- They want the 3rd defender to be able to intercept more than Plowman can so Plowman will find it hard to get back in
- They don’t just pick best available and value team balance (ie no Dow for Martin/Fisher)

I’m actually quite encouraged by these selection as it shows there is some thinking behind it.

Stocker would make a good forward IMO, has all the attributes to impact there (ideally resting from the midfield). Just hasn’t trained it recently.

One more run and he’ll be in contention for the 1’s, though dependent on a defenders position.
I don't hate Newnes playing this week and certainly have been higher on cotts than most...

BUT...

I can't help but feel an 80% stock is a better matchup for SPP than anyone selected..if he tears us a new one (or newwie a new one) I'll blow up

How long does tough and serviceable get you a game though? (and I personally think tough is a bit of a stretch)

As a footy club, when can we move past good triers? It’s a great trait to have, don’t get me wrong, I’m not sure how far we’ll go if Newnes is still the answer to some of our questions though

Well it doesn’t get him a regular game

Selections were always going to be interesting this week after a bad performance and they tell me a few things about the way the coaches think :
- Pittonet is rated higher than TDK
- Stocker is seen as a backman
- Dow is also rated behind Setters as a mid option (in addition to Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy)
- They weren’t happy with LOB & Setters performance on the wings against the Suns
- They rate what Durdin and Owies bring to the team
- They want the 3rd defender to be able to intercept more than Plowman can so Plowman will find it hard to get back in
- They don’t just pick best available and value team balance (ie no Dow for Martin/Fisher)

I’m actually quite encouraged by these selection as it shows there is some thinking behind it.
Plow is incredibly limited but there are a few matchups he is great with (Cameron for instance).

I don't want him in our 22 but he's in my 30 (despite not being a fan)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss has non negotiables in a couple of areas, major one, is you must work hard defensively without the ball

All the players that were dropped have struggled in that department

This.

I was sitting second row last week. There were several plays that LOB could easily have gotten to that he either chose not to or just let his work rate drop.

There was one other play that ended up with his play getting smothered that he could have worked smarter and earned a different result.

That play had LOB put his head down afterwards. He knew that he wasn't good enough in that moment.

He'll fight back for his spot and get it back. This will be a good lesson for his development which is finally progessing.

Setters isn’t dropped though so could quite easily have left him on the wing and brought in Dow for Cripps rather than Newnes. Would have been fair reward for his form in 2’s and gives us some explosive power out of the middle. Not sure Setters gives us anything we don’t already have in middle. Of course Dow’s defensive efforts are still a ? but from what I’ve seen this has improved somewhat although probably not enough yet.

Dow needs to continue to prove that he doesn't come in and out of games before he gets his call up. That involves lifting his two way running.

When he ticks the boxes requested of him he'll get the call and he won't relinquish his position easily.

They want him in the side as a permanent fixture.

Last edited:
I don't hate Newnes playing this week and certainly have been higher on cotts than most...

BUT...

I can't help but feel an 80% stock is a better matchup for SPP than anyone selected..if he tears us a new one (or newwie a new one) I'll blow up
I love Stocker but if he is anything less than 100% ready to go then I hope the coaches don’t pick him because he isn’t good enough yet to play when not fully fit.

But he may be right. Dow can’t break into the team because he’s a poor 2 way runner. Newnes and Cotts are good 2 way runners and hence they come in.

Nothing to do with Dow. Bossy is making Dow earn his spot. I expect a fully rounded Dow when he comes back in.
He was potting Kennedy, which is completely incorrect. Kennedy has been better than Hewett and Cerra and a very close second to only Crippa.

Should note that the real danger here is that Port have brought in a genuine ruck replacement for Lycett, as well as 3 key players.

I'm not expecting us to win this unless we're very sharp about transitioning from defence to attack and back again.

Hayes is far from a genuine ruck. Unless things have changed in his make-up, he is extremely soft

I don't think Dow missed out because of his two way running. He missed out because we intend to play the Hewett, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy combination 100% on-ball. Dow coming in and only being able play mid would force Walsh and Cerra to spend alot of time on a HFF which Voss would be uncomfortable doing with Cripps out.

Ignore the team sheet. Settterfield hasn't been picked to play inside ahead of him. Setterfield will play 90% wing rotating with Cottrell and Newnes.

These were all features of his game previously, and they showed up at senior level. What also showed up was his inability to nail basic passes under the slightest of perceived pressure.

We've swapped two guys who can kick for a guy who won't attempt difficult kicks unless he's front of goal, and a guy who really needs a lot of work on his kicking.

These are both strange accusations to throw around once you consider Fisher and Newman, particularly Fisher.

I think the biggest issue O'Brien faces is conserving energy in how he attacks and how he commits to helping the team recover after a turnover. I think he cooks himself during games and some stats readily drop away as a result.

Wouldn't expect him to start racking up contested numbers if he fixed that, but I would expect him to be halving and assisting contests. He was our only midfielder really registering in terms of defensive contest stats.

I must have watched a different game last week, Fisher and Newman had more pressure acts and tackles compared to LOB. In fact, LOB had zero tackles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back