Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahead of Stocker, Dow and even Kemp…. righto… gee I wish I could be a fly on the wall at selection. 🤔

So you are worried about the names rather than a team functioning ?

Stocker has come back from a serious injury, he will come in soon enough

Dow, don't be fooled by possessions at the lower level, it's his defensive acts that needs work

Kemp still finding touch, has been average at best in regards to consistency

Last edited:
I've never been a believer in the 'you don't change a winning formula' cliché... mainly bc it's dumb, especially so when the wins have been as unconvincing as ours. You should improve your team any chance you get. Some of these changes are overdue, and I wonder how things might have gone last week if we'd made the calls earlier, but better late than never I guess.

LOB has never been best 22 and never will be. Newnes won't be in our next Premiership team but neither will LOB and, right now, Newnes gives us more chance of winning a game of footy, so it makes sense. You can carry youngsters who you expect to become best 22 to speed up the process - LOB isn't one of those players.

I have my Dow(ts) on how much Paddy wants to make it as an AFL player. Seems very obvious and simple what he has to do, and nothing changes. He must be failing badly in his KPIs. Not surprising - looks just like that to the naked eye. Haven't given up hope - clinging on.

In Dow's defence, he can feel a little hard done by given the run LOB was granted.

Aside from Durdin and Pitt, fairly uninspiring ins, but that is where our list of available players is at. Looking forward to seeing where Parks is at.

Dow has got better runs at it than LOB previous to this year, especially back end of last year. Dow did some eye catching stuff in games last year, but generally faded out.

I think Dow isn’t far off and I think he wasn’t played this week mainly for team balance. We have strengthened the inside mid area which is what he is, we haven’t strengthened our list in the wing area, which is why LOB has been given more an opportunity.

Both of these are greatly exaggerated on BF. He is an ok kick, who occasionally nails a really nice pass, but is just as prone to fluff his kick ... He is also the most ineffective good runner I can remember seeing, tbh. Looks like he's running in quick sand half the time.

Not sure he has deserved the opportunity he has been getting but at least things are clearer for everyone now.

Much like Plow - remember when people were arguing he'd be one of our first picked?? .. Only on BF.

Our previous MC used to think Plow was one of the first picked as well.

I just want to win and I think the only thing Cottrell provides is athletic ability sprinting between the arcs, which is all good and well as long as he doesn’t give it straight back.
Newnes is just solid at best and often less Have they really kicked the door in with outstanding performances? And back to a previous comment. They do similar things, why both? Not being argumentative for the sake of it, genuinely wondering.

I've never been a believer in the 'you don't change a winning formula' cliché... mainly bc it's dumb, especially so when the wins have been as unconvincing as ours. You should improve your team any chance you get. Some of these changes are overdue, and I wonder how things might have gone last week if we'd made the calls earlier, but better late than never I guess.

LOB has never been best 22 and never will be. Newnes won't be in our next Premiership team but neither will LOB and, right now, Newnes gives us more chance of winning a game of footy, so it makes sense. You can carry youngsters who you expect to become best 22 to speed up the process - LOB isn't one of those players.

I have my Dow(ts) on how much Paddy wants to make it as an AFL player. Seems very obvious and simple what he has to do, and nothing changes. He must be failing badly in his KPIs. Not surprising - looks just like that to the naked eye. Haven't given up hope - clinging on.

In Dow's defence, he can feel a little hard done by given the run LOB was granted.

Aside from Durdin and Pitt, fairly uninspiring ins, but that is where our list of available players is at. Looking forward to seeing where Parks is at.

Pitto is the #1 reason we won our first three games.

Seriously.

I just want to win and I think the only thing Cottrell provides is athletic ability sprinting between the arcs, which is all good and well as long as he doesn’t give it straight back.
Newnes is just solid at best and often less Have they really kicked the door in with outstanding performances? And back to a previous comment. They do similar things, why both? Not being argumentative for the sake of it, genuinely wondering.

Cotters has been hitting the scoreboard weekly in the 2’s with multiple goals & improving his play. Lets see how he goes.
Needs to have lost the quick boot to ball hack kick that had formed last season.

Cotts came back sooner than I thought, but I did say in maybe the VFL thread that I was hoping for Cotts to be our Langdon. Living in WA, Langdon was abused for years about his lack of tackling and kicking ability. Cotts has a tank only second to Walsh and gives a mighty effort.
I have watched a couple VFL games now and he is working his butt off, okay overhead and starting to hit the scoreboard.

LOB at the start of the season was pretty much delisted in my head, so I am certainly not losing sleep about him being replaced.

Stocker - I think it is smart to give him a "preseason block" of training in our 2's before hitting our main team. I'm sure his non selection is more of a fitness issue than ability. I am really interested to see where a fit Stocker will fit into this current rotation, maybe we do unleash his midfield ability?

Kemp - If he was not a high draft pick and you just watched his VFL form, nobody would be asking for his selection.

My only call that I find super interesting is moving away from the two ruck strategy. It really feels like we wanted more defensive pressure in our forward half and have elected to have a two tall forward line with JSOS/Pitt being the resting ruck.

Have you watched any of the 2s games this year?

Cottrell has improved markedly - in all aspects of the game.

Newnes is just Mr reliable - one might argue that LOB has a higher potential ceiling but the gap between his best and worst remains too large.

Rd 1 - JN 30 disposals, Cotters 25.

Both hit the scoreboard (JN 1.0, Cotters 1.3)

Rd 2 - Box Hill

JN 31, MC 27.

Rd 3 - Suns

32 and 22 respectively. JN 1 goal, MC 2 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both of these are greatly exaggerated on BF. He is an ok kick, who occasionally nails a really nice pass, but is just as prone to fluff his kick ... He is also the most ineffective good runner I can remember seeing, tbh. Looks like he's running in quick sand half the time.

Not sure he has deserved the opportunity he has been getting but at least things are clearer for everyone now.

Much like Plow - remember when people were arguing he'd be one of our first picked?? .. Only on BF.
Not sure if you got my point?

I’m saying I believe coaches are assessing best player for each position. They are new and they’ve landed a job with a list they did not build. First year first opportunity for them to work out who they keep/delist.

So players we have that could play wing are:
Walsh
LOB
Setters
Hewett
Newnes
Doch
Cottrell
PHilp
Caroll
Others?

Philp and caroll probably close for a run in 1sts but probably weren’t at start of season.

Walsh and Hewett best positions - wing or inside? Both are keepers in any case so may end up on wing for team balance but coaches have time on their hands to sort these two out.

Cottrell good runner but general ball skills need a bit of work (maybe he’s a bit better now)

Dochs best position - back or wing? Another one that could go either way. Leaning more towards back atm.

Setters ? Most would say better as an inside mid rather than a winger.

Newnes - is a proven ok option on wing imo. Has grunt can run and can kick goals. He isn’t future anyway basically good depth.

So basically what I’m trying to say is that wing position seems to be a work in progress.

Lob is on the verge of becoming delisted. And he wouldn’t get us much return if traded. Wouldn’t you want to give him every opportunity with good assistance to know for sure whether he is a keeper for that role?

Why both you ask....
Maybe 1 for each wing position to move Setterfield to Cripps role as an inside mid.....🤷‍♂️

Cottrell's issue is his disposal. If he has tidied it up to be at least be neat then he will be a handy inclusion. He is a gut runner and physical. Something we lack on both wings. Yes Setters tackles but Cottrell smacks a contest. I like O'Brien but there have been a few occassions over the first 4 weeks he didn't body line a crucial ball.

Not sure if you got my point?

I’m saying I believe coaches are assessing best player for each position. They are new and they’ve landed a job with a list they did not build. First year first opportunity for them to work out who they keep/delist.

So players we have that could play wing are:
Walsh
LOB
Setters
Hewett
Newnes
Doch
Cottrell
PHilp
Caroll
Others?

Philp and caroll probably close for a run in 1sts but probably weren’t at start of season.

Walsh and Hewett best positions - wing or inside? Both are keepers in any case so may end up on wing for team balance but coaches have time on their hands to sort these two out.

Cottrell good runner but general ball skills need a bit of work (maybe he’s a bit better now)

Dochs best position - back or wing? Another one that could go either way. Leaning more towards back atm.

Setters ? Most would say better as an inside mid rather than a winger.

Newnes - is a proven ok option on wing imo. Has grunt can run and can kick goals. He isn’t future anyway basically good depth.

So basically what I’m trying to say is that wing position seems to be a work in progress.

Lob is on the verge of becoming delisted. And he wouldn’t get us much return if traded. Wouldn’t you want to give him every opportunity with good assistance to know for sure whether he is a keeper for that role?

I guess my expectation is that those in the industry, and especially coaches, should already have a pretty good idea of what they're getting from each player, but in any case, not much harm done so I take your point that it may have been worth the gamble.

My frustration is with the BF crew who defend players like LOB on an almost weekly basis through either bias or ignorance - probably a combination of both - when the reality seems so obvious.. Anyway, bigger and more important problems in the world right now.

I guess my expectation is that those in the industry, and especially coaches, should already have a pretty good idea of what they're getting from each player, but in any case, not much harm done so I take your point that it may have been worth the gamble.

My frustration is with the BF crew who defend players like LOB on an almost weekly basis through either bias or ignorance - probably a combination of both - when the reality seems so obvious.. Anyway, bigger and more important problems in the world right now.
Bias or ignorance? It never occurred to you that other people might hold a different opinion to yours? That your "reality seems so obvious" isn't theirs?

I don't see people defending LOB, what I see, mostly, is people highlighting strengths and weaknesses in him, as well as other players

What I find most amusing is people claiming certain players won't make it, then when they do find consistency, those same posters disappear and return with different usernames

You rated him poor in 4 of 5 attributes

And, when you say I have been keeping an eye on him, fo you mean on TV, where you can't see his workrate or what he does off the ball?
That is true…but Maybe this week if he does play as a mid, we will seethe best of him

Honestly, I’ve only watched bits and pieces and tend to look over stats plus reports/highlights on key VFL players from Power and O’Keefe.
I know it’s easy to be coloured by names and picks. Ultimately we all just want to win.
To that point I couldn’t care if it’s Akeui, Mirkov or Boyd. If they’ve earned it, good on them.
If cottrell has somehow improved out of sight, wonderful. Same as Newnes.
My point is that watching the GC game, the key issue was in the ruck, loss of grunt without Cripps and defensive balance, not necessarily wings.
And if one of the obvious replacements is for Cripps then Dow would be a better inside option that setters.
I’ll cheer on any and all who wears the navy blue.
Why both you ask....
Maybe 1 for each wing position to move Setterfield to Cripps role as an inside mid.....🤷‍♂️

Newnes, maybe. Cotters has improved and smashed it on his wing every game so far in the vfl.

Look at the age Smith was drafted and then cotters age. Look at the age menegola came good, lambert came good.

Wingers have a tendency to develop a bit slower.
Cottrell broke the game open with 2 last qtr goals against the vfl suns. He is mitch robinson like at vfl level. Can he translate that type of performance to Afl standard? It is a question whether his decision making and disposal can stand up under less time and more pressure. I have my doubts but he has what O'brien lacks. Physical intent. O'Brien had his 4 week block. Now it is Cottrell's opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back