Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These were all features of his game previously, and they showed up at senior level. What also showed up was his inability to nail basic passes under the slightest of perceived pressure.

We've swapped two guys who can kick for a guy who won't attempt difficult kicks unless he's front of goal, and a guy who really needs a lot of work on his kicking.

These are both strange accusations to throw around once you consider Fisher and Newman, particularly Fisher.

I think the biggest issue O'Brien faces is conserving energy in how he attacks and how he commits to helping the team recover after a turnover. I think he cooks himself during games and some stats readily drop away as a result.

Wouldn't expect him to start racking up contested numbers if he fixed that, but I would expect him to be halving and assisting contests. He was our only midfielder really registering in terms of defensive contest stats.
The biggest issue LOB has is he gives the ball up far too easily and too often.

You can't carry blokes like that come finals.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm more interested in that our changes aren't necessarily like-for-like as much as they had been.

We've dropped TDK but haven't selected a forward to replace him. I guess it means one of Newnes or Cottrell will mainly play forward?

My read is that durdin will play forward not on the wing and he is technically replacing TDK as we need more speed in the forward half as opponents have just been waltzing out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Setters isn’t dropped though so could quite easily have left him on the wing and brought in Dow for Cripps rather than Newnes. Would have been fair reward for his form in 2’s and gives us some explosive power out of the middle. Not sure Setters gives us anything we don’t already have in middle. Of course Dow’s defensive efforts are still a ? but from what I’ve seen this has improved somewhat although probably not enough yet.

Re. Dow, I don't think the coaches are willing to carry two low TOG mids - it's him or Kennedy, but never both

My read is that durdin will play forward not on the wing and he is technically replacing TDK as we need more speed in the forward half as opponents have just been waltzing out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pittonet / De Koning
Parks / Plowman
Durdin / Fogarty
Cottrell / O’Brien
Newnes / Cripps (Setters takes Cripps’ mid spot, Newnes takes Setters’ wing spot).
(Sub) / Boyd

I've never been a believer in the 'you don't change a winning formula' cliché... mainly bc it's dumb, especially so when the wins have been as unconvincing as ours. You should improve your team any chance you get. Some of these changes are overdue, and I wonder how things might have gone last week if we'd made the calls earlier, but better late than never I guess.

LOB has never been best 22 and never will be. Newnes won't be in our next Premiership team but neither will LOB and, right now, Newnes gives us more chance of winning a game of footy, so it makes sense. You can carry youngsters who you expect to become best 22 to speed up the process - LOB isn't one of those players.

I have my Dow(ts) on how much Paddy wants to make it as an AFL player. Seems very obvious and simple what he has to do, and nothing changes. He must be failing badly in his KPIs. Not surprising - looks just like that to the naked eye. Haven't given up hope - clinging on.

In Dow's defence, he can feel a little hard done by given the run LOB was granted.

Aside from Durdin and Pitt, fairly uninspiring ins, but that is where our list of available players is at. Looking forward to seeing where Parks is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes and Cottrell are break glass in case of emergency types. Apparently, it's an emergency.

It’s good to have a match committee that can look at a game of football and clearly see where the emergency is located. It’s been located between the arcs particularly when we don’t have the ball … LOB and Setterfield have been liabilities on the wings and I’m surprised what people have been watching to see otherwise.

Im more confident with Newnes and Cotts in these positions than LOB and Setterfield. There comes a time when your wingers have to halve a contest!

I was curious why we couldn't bring in setters for cripps role, probably the only other big contested mid we have whos ready to go, then relace the wing role which looks like we have, should be interesting to see if setters steps up

I've never been a believer in the 'you don't change a winning formula' cliché... mainly bc it's dumb, especially so when the wins have been as unconvincing as ours. You should improve your team any chance you get. Some of these changes are overdue, and I wonder how things might have gone last week if we'd made the calls earlier, but better late than never I guess.

LOB has never been best 22 and never will be. Newnes won't be in our next Premiership team but neither will LOB and, right now, Newnes gives us more chance of winning a game of footy, so it makes sense. You can carry youngsters who you expect to become best 22 to speed up the process - LOB isn't one of those players.

I have my Dow(ts) on how much Paddy wants to make it as an AFL player. Seems very obvious and simple what he has to do, and nothing changes. He must be failing badly in his KPIs. Not surprising - looks just like that to the naked eye. Haven't given up hope - clinging on.

In Dow's defence, he can feel a little hard done by given the run LOB was granted.

Aside from Durdin and Pitt, fairly uninspiring ins, but that is where our list of available players is at. Looking forward to seeing where Parks is at.
new coaches came in as we were approaching preseaoson so they didnt have any opportunity to assess players fisrt hand bascially until now.

also we are in need of good wingmen and LOB has good kicking skills and is a good runner so makes sense for them to put him there and go with that option.

He is on the rookie list (?) so assuming it is make or break for LOB as a blue this season. club is giving him the opportunity he deserves.

new coaches came in as we were approaching preseaoson so they didnt have any opportunity to assess players fisrt hand bascially until now.

also we are in need of good wingmen and LOB has good kicking skills and is a good runner so makes sense for them to put him there and go with that option.

He is on the rookie list (?) so assuming it is make or break for LOB as a blue this season. club is giving him the opportunity he deserves.

Both of these are greatly exaggerated on BF. He is an ok kick, who occasionally nails a really nice pass, but is just as prone to fluff his kick ... He is also the most ineffective good runner I can remember seeing, tbh. Looks like he's running in quick sand half the time.

Not sure he has deserved the opportunity he has been getting but at least things are clearer for everyone now.

Much like Plow - remember when people were arguing he'd be one of our first picked?? .. Only on BF.

Newnes and Cottrell are break glass in case of emergency types. Apparently, it's an emergency.
Newnes, maybe. Cotters has improved and smashed it on his wing every game so far in the vfl.

Look at the age Smith was drafted and then cotters age. Look at the age menegola came good, lambert came good.

Wingers have a tendency to develop a bit slower.

Understatement but 4-1 looks sooo much better than 3-2 and I fully expect a fired up Port to give us a thorough examination staring down a 0-5 start.
I’m not walking in brimming with confidence.

May prove to be the case, but currently the side hasn’t suddenly gone from lower mid table to superstar side within 4 games.

Also our wings are an issue, and we are still trying to find the right combination.

Add to that we have Stocker, Motlop and Honey who I expect will come in when ready. That could see other players in jeopardy in Newman, Fisher, Martin and Owies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back