Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see people defending LOB, what I see, mostly, is people highlighting strengths and weaknesses in him, as well as other players

What I find most amusing is people claiming certain players won't make it, then when they do find consistency, those same posters disappear and return with different usernames
I have never thought Dow and Obrien will make it. 5 seasons in, I think I am right-despite their improvement

They should try and do a remake on Plow in the 2’s so he can play further up the ground - Gov, Parks, Kemp, Marchy are 3rd talls that he will never be ahead of. Wing to me is his possie so why not groom him for that in the 2’s? The wings are not locked in the 1’s that’s for sure.

Even a bigger body mid? A Mundy?
I've really not liked him being played up the ground in the past, I've seen opposition do that to exploit him. Lack of pace is one thing but his lack of agility is what gets him there. He's a replacement for the likes of Newman and Williams IMO and the 4th in line third tall. I don't see a spot other than a reserve in a really good side.

I suggested here that Marchbank is a direct upgrade on Plowman and people told me they are much different players - granted, they are. One is very good at playing to his size, the other is not, and must play much smaller to have meaningful impact.

Can’t wait for Marchy to be back, 4 weeks according to the injury report. Probably need a couple weeks in the VFL too, but will be huge for us. McGovern should be back then too.

They are very different yes, Marchbank is a genuine third tall defender and Plowman is not. I can't wait either, reckon a fit Marchbank has a massive impact on our defence. IMO McGovern and Marchbank could fit into the same side, both with height and pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just know Aliir is gonna kill us.

We’ve seen how it goes bombing into the F50 with Aliir in there picking everything off. If we do that again we can expect the same result and deserve to lose. I know it’s a broken record but we need to lower the eyes and hit up the leading forwards. Both JSOS and Martin are above average on the lead, and need to be used as avenues to goal far more often. My concern this week is the addition of Newnes and Cottrell on the wings meaning less finesse going inside 50, but we’ll see.

We’ve seen how it goes bombing into the F50 with Aliir in there picking everything off. If we do that again we can expect the same result and deserve to lose. I know it’s a broken record but we need to lower the eyes and hit up the leading forwards. Both JSOS and Martin are above average on the lead, and need to be used as avenues to goal far more often. My concern this week is the addition of Newnes and Cottrell on the wings meaning less finesse going inside 50, but we’ll see.
We all see it and we all want it...lower the eyes and pass to a forward on the lead and not to a pack. But hardly happens. I’m dumbfounded as to why. This is my single most frustrating aspect of our game. And when the oppo defenders get the hang of it the ball just keep rebounding out and we still continue more with the long bombs.

Sometimes to a pack ok and if our talls don’t mark at least try and deflect to advantage of crumbers. FMD last week at one entry H fisted the ball well away from our small (owies I think) just no ****ing awareness.

Owies durdin and Fogarty in particular lower the eyes and spot up a lead. Maybe one or two others but mostly not so much.

You’d expect guys like Fish Martin and wingers to kick to leads more often. All capable.

I just want to win and I think the only thing Cottrell provides is athletic ability sprinting between the arcs, which is all good and well as long as he doesn’t give it straight back.
Newnes is just solid at best and often less Have they really kicked the door in with outstanding performances? And back to a previous comment. They do similar things, why both? Not being argumentative for the sake of it, genuinely wondering.

Apparently they have indeed been in our bests at vfl level.

Cottrell has been playing high half forward a bit and hitting the scoreboard.

So I think it's mainly cottrell for tdk and Newnes for LOB.

Should be noted that its going to be hot tomorrow....and we've been lacking run the last 2 games.

Cottrell for tdk obviously gives us a lot more run and defensive pressure. Newnes likewise is a bigger body and tougher at the contest than LOB.

You clearly haven't watched a single afl game this year or vfl for that matter.

Gotta love posters who pot the club for bringing in certain players with zero consideration of the reasons why and fail to acknowledge those players are doing well at vfl level.

They also can't seem to grasp the idea of at least giving them an opportunity at afl level under the new coaching regime.

I just want to win and I think the only thing Cottrell provides is athletic ability sprinting between the arcs, which is all good and well as long as he doesn’t give it straight back.
Newnes is just solid at best and often less Have they really kicked the door in with outstanding performances? And back to a previous comment. They do similar things, why both? Not being argumentative for the sake of it, genuinely wondering.
Maybe it sends a message to carrol phelp kemp motlop etc - there's spots available - go hard got the KPI's the development staff are looking for and take one - I don't for a minute believe they would be pinning there hopes on all the inclusions taking us to the holy grail ..
it's probably when we win and promote one over another that will really send the best message anyway ..

Now I agree with you. Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Walsh & Cerra are the five rotations.
I don’t see how you can critique Kennedy on his output this year and that was my issue with your statement.
Actually Kennedy has been one of our better minds since mid way last year.

Agree but it does concern me that he regularly only has around 70% time on ground...gives weight to the argument his fitness isn't great for a mid.

Him playing such low numbers means other players have to play more to make up for it.

I'm just a bit worried about our teams running ability in general, endurance and speed.

Apparently they have indeed been in our bests at vfl level.

Cottrell has been playing high half forward a bit and hitting the scoreboard.

So I think it's mainly cottrell for tdk and Newnes for LOB.

Should be noted that its going to be hot tomorrow....and we've been lacking run the last 2 games.

Cottrell for tdk obviously gives us a lot more run and defensive pressure. Newnes likewise is a bigger body and tougher at the contest than LOB.
Who is pittonet replacing --Cripps?

My frustration is with the BF crew who defend players like LOB on an almost weekly basis through either bias or ignorance - probably a combination of both - when the reality seems so obvious.. Anyway, bigger and more important problems in the world right now.

Yep, I agree. It's been pretty obvious for a few years. I honestly don't see what others see in LOB. Probs the luckiest player to remain on an AFL list. It's crazy how some ppl still rate him. I must be watching a different game to them. He has zero presence, not a great mark, one of the worst one on one players I've ever seen, no mungrel, bad disposal when under some duress. Positives are ,he has a nice left , when given some time and has good endurance. Still looks like a boy playing a man's game.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have never thought Dow and Obrien will make it. 5 seasons in, I think I am right-despite their improvement

Was surprised to see LOB had played 40+ games - didn't seem that much.

I think we were all hoping he'd be that Grant Birchall type - laser left foot off half back but just hasn't shown it consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back