Autopsy 2022 Rd 9 Blues show Giant heart to win interstate

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Only gets a game because of his surname :laughv1:
That dickhead comedian on The Front Bar.
Seriously...I'm still not over Andy letting that go.
Jack is....perfect and unique.
He holds his own.

Last edited:
We have a really challenging run. Bad luck sees us play Freo and Tiggers twice...Hungry pies twice... Lions...and Dees with West Coast far enough down track to get players back?
I am not confident of staying in Top 4. Not at all. But yeah..should hold on to Top 8. We have to now.
Players back? And then integrating them into team like Guv and Omac?
Marchy?
Martin and Stocker and of course Hazza ...could mean a nice surprise finish for us but atm...one nervous week at a time for me.
💙

Did you see the Pies Friday night?

Their bubble has burst, nay exploded....

Such an amazing win!

All the great individual performances have been mentioned already. But I'd like to focus on the team. We are a new TEAM.
I mentioned in the preview thread that I was concerned about our interstate game preparations. Vossy passes with flying colours, he knew what we needed to do and executed.

Secondly, 3 games in a row now where we've been able to slow the game down and utilise our short kick to open up the field or make our way up the field while keeping possession. No more long kicks down the wing as the first option which is a sight to see. Our ability to retain possession is now a level above what we used to be.

BT (Filth)
Alister Nicholson (GWS supporter)
Chris Johnson (Anyone who is non Victorian)
Jude Bolton (everything NSW)
Alistair Nicholson is not a GWS supporter. I’ve known him for many years. He’s a Carlton supporter, dyed-in-the-wool. Mad keen Carlton supporter. Have a conversation with him about Bruce Doull and you’ll see how much he loves Carlton.

This is a team of AFL listed players in playing positions that didn't play today because of injury, on the comeback, form etc

Fogarty McKay Cuningham
Honey McGovern Martin
Setterfield Curnow Williamson
Stocker McDonald Parks
Marchbank Young Boyd
Rucks: Pittonet, Dow, Philp
Inter: Mirkov, Akuei

Of the list of 43 only Mirkov & Akuei have not played AFL games. Both Projects.

We could have the best 15 to 35 ranked players in the comp. We should have a very resilient team with ferocious competition for spots in the coming months even with a few injuries.
Thanks for pointing that out for the unbelievers. Position wise, needs more Setterfield and Fogarty in the middle Philpy outside and Ed can let the youngsters in there.😉

Didn’t lay a single tackle today
Incorrect.....check out play leading up to Walsh first goal. Was like a tiger pouncing on prey.

Wasn’t his best game and should have nailed 1-2 goals.

He still pressured and got involved. Stats alone don’t always tell the full story.

I’d be very surprised if he was omitted.

Taylor was rarely 1 on 1 with Chuck.

When he was, he was serially arm chopping but the umps let it go time and time again.

I like Taylor, but he got away with murder.
Drove me nuts watching it. Or when double teaming were holding him down .
One thing annoys me is different umpires different interpretations Same game -- even in Fremantle GC game the umpire up field paid arm chop to Fredericks when umpire 15 metres away with side view let it go ( player got ball and hand) goal Fremantle ..

Ok, serious man love for Jack Silvagni. Just competes, smart as f*** out there and is the prototypical clubman! Every generation of Silvagni has won a flag, I’ll cry a river WHEN Jack wins his. Won’t win a Normie but will be instrumental in making others better and Carlton winning #17. Steve might even crack a smile!
A term used too flippantly around here, but POTY contender that.

We have a really challenging run. Bad luck sees us play Freo and Tiggers twice...Hungry pies twice... Lions...and Dees with West Coast far enough down track to get players back?
I am not confident of staying in Top 4. Not at all. But yeah..should hold on to Top 8. We have to now.
Players back? And then integrating them into team like Guv and Omac?
Marchy?
Martin and Stocker and of course Hazza ...could mean a nice surprise finish for us but atm...one nervous week at a time for me.
💙
It's not really all about this year. We are a serious chance to win the whole thing from next year onwards.

We need to experience more big game pressure to prepare us. Next Friday will be good for us, even if we can't get it done. We have underachieved for so long, but the mentality has turned very quickly - for us as supporters as well. There is no use falling into the 8 based on a soft draw playing the likes of North and WC twice.

Melbourne are the only side that are clearly better than us, but if we get a few back and they lose a few, stranger things have happened...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have said, that was exactly the sort of game we would have lost going back many seasons. On that basis alone it was the most enjoyable win from my perspective for a long time.

There are tougher challenges ahead (let’s not forget GWS has only won 2 for the season) and the boys are going to need to get better at not letting sides they’re on top of get back into the game - the better sides in the comp will take those chances to the bank. But you can see a winning mindset is growing amongst the group and it’s going to be a good few years ahead at CFC.

Reckon that was a mentally harder game (by some margin) than facing the Swans at Marvel...

With the outs, all the hoo-ha around the resignation of Cameron, even the Q1 injury to Williams - we sucked it all up and simply got the job done....

it appears to me that the Voss game style has a few layers, dependant on players available, if have to play small or tall etc. The Voss ethos however has a one player out, next player in to play a role. Very defined, clear, trained.
Indeed. I really enjoy not having to cram VFL playing well into positions they’re not trained for.

Also, I’m really, really enjoying Voss’ gameday tactics. He’s growing in that area in a massive updraft. Yesterday was a great example where we were getting smacked in the ruck (and then clearance) and then made some tweaks with other players stepping up to cover positions. The best teams do this.

Taylor was rarely 1 on 1 with Chuck.

When he was, he was serially arm chopping but the umps let it go time and time again.

I like Taylor, but he got away with murder.
All defenders do that though. I rekon Taylor would of had to have 10 spoils, Also the most intercept possessions on the ground. He was unreal and the fact Curnow kept presenting time and time again was a massive positive for us and to get on the end of a couple at the end of the game really was a great reward for effort.

He was on the pies list in 1990 and still claims to be an instrumental piece for them to the extent he believes they don't win the comp without him. Despite not being in the grand final team. Hence the pies fans dislike.
I didn't know he was that deluded/ he could barely move in his Last 18 months played 6 games in 90..

A character win this one. We had every reason to throw the hands up and say "It's too hard this week. Everything against us, we'll try again next week", but we didn't. Normally we'd take that excuse, but this season it's different. FINALLY.

Awesome to see Greenes poor record vs us continues!

I think this was Curnows biggest game since his return, and I mean that. It was a mans game this one. Had to work all day, crash packs, be a target and compete despite having little chance of having success. He backed up for 3 qtrs with little to no success, but he did the team thing and and brought contests to ground or out of bounds and allowing a reset. He didn't let the opposition intercept and always halved the contest. Then he got his reward in the last and brought us home. A hard fought 4 qtr effort. I think a good indicator of how much he put in was that his kit was one of, if not the, dirtiest of anyone in the team - playing as a key forward that wouldn't be easy to do! His mark was huge too, if only someone was in front of him it'd be mark of the round - he was high enough there was just no one to sit on to make the mark look sexier!

Almost ditto SOS. Probably his best game of the year too. Was brought up in the broadcast but he basically did the same thing as Chuck. Was a target and made a contest of everything, kept backing up despite being worn like a glove and having next to no breathing space - then his reward came. A real effort game from our 2 forwards when we needed it most.

A game from Cripps that shows something to me. Was good, without being excellent. However what stood out was that Green was obviously playing a run with role and attempting to run off Cripps, but what is surely a sign of a Cripps return to fitness (and that he has been battling for a long time), more often that not Cripps was all over Green and didn't let it happen. The past 2 yrs Cripps couldn't run with anyone but yesterday he was responsible for his opponent. Not a 3 vote game but perhaps the type of game that is more important to the team going forward.

Further with Cripps, he was manhandled all day and should've had upwards of 6 free kicks. It was borderline farcical. Not sure why the whistle was put away with him but he was clearly being held all day. Green couldn't handle him and Cripps showed him what being a midfield brute is all about.

Durdin was excellent and noticed he was playing up field more. Seems to have graduated from small forward to rotating up field a bit more which I love, you can see he has the ability to do it quite easily. So clean.

Kemp impressed me, why hasn't he been in the team playing down back all year? Bin this playing forward experiment and keep him in the 1s down back.

Plowman was excellent, particularly early. Looked extremely composed and calm - traits I'd not normally associate with him.

O'Brien is starting to win me over with his kicking. I've said it's a myth it's elite - he's done it in moments or games, but not consistently. The last few weeks he's strung a few together now and I'm turning. He still has the odd brain explosion moment where he absolutely shanks one, but those are becoming less regular.

Weiters best game of the year imo. Looked strong, in control, and was actually marking the footy. Also is an elite kick. I actually didn't mind the 50 he gave away either, showing some emotion and fire isn't always a bad thing. For someone who never shows anything it's good to see inside there's a fire burning every now and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 9 Blues show Giant heart to win interstate

Back