Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Outstanding 3rd qtr and early 4th.

Really good to start to build some form.

Saad and Walsh played GOAT games.

Harry and Charlie excellent albeit a bit wasteful.

Need to get cripps and cerra right. So out of form it's not funny.

Setters, Lob and cotts played a great rotation through the wing.

Honey finding his feet. Should have had 2 or 3.

Mots and durds well down. Hope owies is right next week to start rotating them.

Tdk is becoming so good around the ground. Desperately need Pitt for the rucking side of things though. He gets smashed in the hitouts to advantage. If we stop losing in that aspect I think we'll see our mids come back into it. Tdk +10kg is going to be unstoppable.

Fish played some good mid minutes again.

Brackets was very good in his return.

Sos battled well.
This just about sums it up for mine.

Loving cottrell’s improvement. Got plenty of time for players that attack the contest with intensity and give their all. Doesn’t lose too many 1v1s. Needs to tidy up some decision making, but that will come.

Maybe, but it’s also going to take some time to get Pitto up to speed and our issues aren’t personnel issues - we haven’t sustained the game plan that was so successful in the first half of the year and are really struggling to generate meaningful forward 50 entries.

I’d be shocked if there’s much to come. We’ve been slightly flat for a month or so and it was always going to be a challenge maintaining form.
IMO its the opposition going to school on our game plan. It happens to all clubs that take the leap into the 8. Opposition start to take you more seriously and concentrate on stopping your GP rather than just playing their GP. The key is to be able to play your GP better than the other side. Our depth was stretched big time with our injuries . >Most sides would struggle without their ruckman and key defenders. I look forward to MM ,Pitonett, marchbank, back in and players like Cerra and Weitering back playing their best football. Then we will be executing our GP 100% effectively

80%+ of supporters would not have predicted a 13+ win season.
The club gave us a superior level not seen since 1999
So I am grateful.
It is a question of how far we can progress and the time frame to overcome the following weaknesses. They are:
A) An outside game that is not finals standard(personel or coaching?) I think it is a list problem
B) A reluctance to risk the corridor
C) Inexperieced small fwds who can not deliver today but Voss is getting games into them which will deliver
D) A bottom 6 who get found out against top 4 sides
E) A predictable midfield structure
F) A lack of high end tactical nous in the coaching box.

Owies, Pitto, Martin and Gov can make a huge difference. We could also turn it on in September and surprise with a few wins in the last 3 games

34 touches at 55%DE says it all. Tries to do way too much at times. Needs to keep it simple and get the better ball users involved.
Same issues resurfacing...when will he learn?...it's a cancerous trait that completely disempowers his team mates. Grow up Patrick and freaking well act like a leader

Controversial I know, but I love the Saad woof. Not because it necessarily fits, but I love that after having to play at *, he’s found a real home at the greatest club in the land, and the supporters love him. Feel good story all round
I suspect that the man himself loves it (no harm in that!)... and I don't think it is a complete misfit either. It sort of captures the anticipation we all feel when he gets hold of the ball, wondering what he'll do with it, wondering if it will be something that he alone can do.

And it adds a bit of mindless excitement! I yelled WOOF when I saw him coming in with the sit for that mark!

Played ladder predictor again and have us playing Collingwood twice in two weeks.

Don't think we can get to 4th looking at Sydney and Brisbane draws. Not sure we can get ahead of freo for 5th either.

Not sure who I prefer week one..likely out of Pies or an in form dogs. Don't want to travel to freo.

Probably most like to play and then beat Collingwood twice in 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward connection, small forward inexperience and consistently sticking tackles are our weak spots.

We now need to beat the Crows to break this streak of Win / Loss and win two in a row plus lock in the top 8. Then we get 3 week free roll to prepare for finals.

CB
2 edge sword. If we go into those three games thinking we have the finals in the bag, and we aren't expected to win any of them, we could lose all of them and by significant margins. If we lose all three, our % may be reduced and our % might be crucial.
Thats not even taking into account the psychological beating that the boys might take if they go into finals having lost the last 3 to contenders.

If on the other hand we put the foot down, and play tough aggressive football and try our utmost to win all three, then we have effectively played 3 finals in a row. Advantage? or not? For a experienced , seasoned team like Geelong- yes. For a young on the up, team like us without finals experience, it might be too much physical load leading into ,the finals.

This. F50 transition a complete mess/ dysfunctional
Today we were lucky Saad played a 🐐 game and no one was interested in stopping him.

He papered over our atrocious transition plan.

We had a few good transitions late when giants had stopped but really struggled other than for Saad when there was some heat on. What's the plan when someone is interested in being within 30m of Saad?

I do wonder if we are pushing so hard defensively that it destroys our transition game. We had attacking threats like fish picking up the ball in the d50 numerous times.

Perhaps that is the plan, hard defensive run to stop most easy goals and then back our gun forwards to be good enough to make the most of our shitful i50s.

I think we just need to be able to tip the scales a little more toward attack at times. Having gov back for any period of time will allow us a 'cheat' a little more, having more faith in us intercepting.

Cripps, please pull your finger out and learn to play the percentages. Infuriating to watch.
I'd be happy if he kicked on his left as often as Simpson kicked on his right...

Agreed.

This woof, by the crowd for saad, is uneducated. Woof came for Val Perovic and Christou because they were big long kicks.

Not because they can kick

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Saad can roost it though. Just because he doesnt kick it long every time...doesnt negate the woof

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back