Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching game ( had to watch later as I was at a family function), I feel some criticism towards Cripps is a bit unwarranted. Sure, there are a couple of WTF movements, but 34 possessions, kicks goal (yes, should have had at least 1 more), running really well, tackles, takes hits and gets up. And I get the feeling coaches want him to keep trying stuff to still keep growing his game.
And just a few of other things. After seeing Walsh roll ankle, and then do what he did when he returned... Wow!
Saad... Wow!
Charlie/Harry combo... how lucky are we to see that...
Liked the combo of Setters, Cotts and LOB as wingers. Did OK, and expect same next week. Following weeks will then test them.
Ugly first half, but GWS not totally shite. We continued to grind away. Some grit developing. Just need it for longer.
Winning is better than losing. Love the feeling after last 20 years.

I feel some criticism towards Cripps is a bit unwarranted. Sure, there are a couple of WTF movements, but 34 possessions, kicks goal (yes, should have had at least 1 more), running really well, tackles, takes hits and gets up. And I get the feeling coaches want him to keep trying stuff to still keep growing his game.
I reckon the coaches encourage the whole team to take it on, kick on the opposite side, and have a go.

I'm not fussed if Cripps makes a mistake trying to set something up, I believe the players are licensed to do it.

The one on the wing where Cripps was bursting out of the centre and kicked with his left, yeah the kick wasn't great, but for me, the only problem was he burnt LOB in miles of space, on his natural side, and it should have been an easy give.

I agree, he played pretty well.

Honestly it’s like saying T20 represents the skill that is cricket. It’s popcorn cricket.
Yes. But you could easily say that T20 has helped save cricket.

Things evolve. If enough people want to go "woof," that it sticks and they enjoy it good for them.

To me it is more a sign of respect for the player than anything else. And a sign of respect for a carlton tradition whilst our team is successful and fans are enjoying that success.

Setters, take a bow mate. Think I posted about 6-7 weeks ago that he seemed WAY more intense. Like he’d decided to have a real crack at it. His attack on the loose ball has gone up 3 levels. His end to end running is top shelf. Hands so much more suited fo his outside role. He’s running his lane well, not ball watching. If you watch closely he beats his man up and down the ground very regularly. Kicking was rough last week but it was blowing a gale. His kicking today was great. I’m wrapt for him. Could be the next Matt Kennedy auccess story for the dev coaches. And himself too.

Well, *******, done.
I might have to give Setters a final chance after his performance yesterday. He was good and actually looked involved for a change, much better combo with LOB and Cotters than Newnes.
Our wing position may not be far away from being fixed, internally.
The small forwards invisibility, now looms as our latest problem area.

Really liking Cottrell's progression, still think he is the biggest improver of the season
Watching him and Curnow at the ground away from the play you really get to appreciate just how hard they both run.

Cotters is now putting it all together, he is running intelligent patterns and using his elite endurance to put insurmountable gaps on his opponents. His game yesterday reminded me of Sidebottoms game against us earlier this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a team rule that Cripps isn't allowed to kick on his left.

definably should be a rule to give it to LOB who is on his left side and not ignore him and go on your opposite foot.....must have happened 3 or 4 times yesterday.

Turn it over and LOB running back with his arms out saying 'wtf?' - dont blame him

Think there is still a way to go for Cottrell. Taking out individual games AFL stat benchmarks have him below average in a lot of key categories. He is above average in nothing useful Vs his peers.

I think the truth is Cottrell is coming off such a low base that he has impressed in two games this year.

If he can improve another ten percent hopefully we can cal him average vs his peers.

Vs GWS, Cottrell was good. But what about Geelong where the whip was really cracking??

Agree, he has too many holes in his game that arent AFL standard that he will always be close to getting dropped. Will only take a couple of bad games in a row. Gap between his best and worst is too far. Same as the likes of LOB and Setters.

He was very good yesterday though

the kicking advisory panel in session again I see..........
I am a massive supporter of them going round the corner where comfortable but using the shot from 40 plus is nonsensical. The one from Cripps in particular.

It’s one thing to be slotting them at training with no pressure. But I’d argue that the traditional set up produces far more consistent contact and results when you’re trying to find 50m plus in a kick. Or at least it should do. I think the round the corner stuff is far more prone to break down when you’re trying to find that extra 15-20 metres.

definably should be a rule to give it to LOB who is on his left side and not ignore him and go on your opposite foot.....must have happened 3 or 4 times yesterday.

Turn it over and LOB running back with his arms out saying 'wtf?' - dont blame him

Cripps is emblematic of the side in that he carries some serious mental baggage. He needs to be a positive leader and trust his troops - echoes of the Swans game when he was caught HTB in the back pocket after not handballing to a running LOB - but that doesn't happen without years of negative conditioning. Only need to look at the flagpies' preposterous run to see what's possible with the right mentality.

Cripps is emblematic of the side in that he carries some serious mental baggage. He needs to be a positive leader and trust his troops - echoes of the Swans game when he was caught HTB in the back pocket after not handballing to a running LOB - but that doesn't happen without years of negative conditioning. Only need to look at the flagpies' preposterous run to see what's possible with the right mentality.
He does. He worries me sometimes. Give him some time I think

Yes. But you could easily say that T20 has helped save cricket.

Things evolve. If enough people want to go "woof," that it sticks and they enjoy it good for them.

To me it is more a sign of respect for the player than anything else. And a sign of respect for a carlton tradition whilst our team is successful and fans are enjoying that success.
Things do evolve and sometimes not for the best. I can’t really say AFL as a spectacle with its evolution has improved but it’s massively popular, same with T20

Think there is still a way to go for Cottrell. Taking out individual games AFL stat benchmarks have him below average in a lot of key categories. He is above average in nothing useful Vs his peers.

I think the truth is Cottrell is coming off such a low base that he has impressed in two games this year.

If he can improve another ten percent hopefully we can cal him average vs his peers.

Vs GWS, Cottrell was good. But what about Geelong where the whip was really cracking??
Averages fail to capture trends. He's kicked 7 goals in the last 7 weeks - excellent return from a winger.

He's also consistently the hardest working player on the field, leading just about all categories - distance covered, sprints, workrate in attack and defence.

Workrate in attack is allowing him to work forward, get loose and kick goals so he's doing that better in recent weeks.

Defensive workrate is harder to quantify unless you're watching him closely, but there's value in working back hard and shutting down options for the opposition that won't be reflected on the stats sheet.

Agree, he has too many holes in his game that arent AFL standard that he will always be close to getting dropped. Will only take a couple of bad games in a row. Gap between his best and worst is too far. Same as the likes of LOB and Setters.

He was very good yesterday though
It's more his improvement - lets say that he improved 20% from last year. He was all but gone last year and his disposal was about the same as Mitch Robinson. Who is to say that as a 22 year old that he can't improve another 10% next year. Has the tank, seems to about the right way and loves playing for the jumper.

Averages fail to capture trends. He's kicked 7 goals in the last 7 weeks - excellent return from a winger.

He's also consistently the hardest working player on the field, leading just about all categories - distance covered, sprints, workrate in attack and defence.

Workrate in attack is allowing him to work forward, get loose and kick goals so he's doing that better in recent weeks.

Defensive workrate is harder to quantify unless you're watching him closely, but there's value in working back hard and shutting down options for the opposition that won't be reflected on the stats sheet.
He covered tremendous territory yesterday from kicking goals to saving a goal on the last line. As has been said elsewhere, all sides need players that do the hard yards and he is one. Voss would love him for the effort he puts in every week.

It's more his improvement - lets say that he improved 20% from last year. He was all but gone last year and his disposal was about the same as Mitch Robinson. Who is to say that as a 22 year old that he can't improve another 10% next year. Has the tank, seems to about the right way and loves playing for the jumper.

no doubt has improved, i never said he hasnt. But he will always be that type of player who will be on the edge of getting dropped if he puts in a couple of stinkers in a row. A dennis armfield type if you will. Gap between his good and his worst is too big and his best isnt great enough to buy him time if in a form slump

As i said, alot like LOB, Setters etc.

How elite was he versus Geelong?

Elite for low disposals and check out his metres gained. Below average for tackles, possessions, metres gained.

He just needs another ten percent Jump and for people to not overrate form vs weak opposition.
So it's Cottrell this week. We were all waiting for your synopsis on Plowman's 18 disposal 100% DE game or do you only jump on when you can lay the boots in?

You do realise that Cottrell played primarily as a defensive half forward against Geelong? His role seemed to be to minimise Mitch Duncan's impact. Duncans stats seem o.k. but were padded with a fair few kick ins and didnt really hurt us. But apparently Cottrell was below average for a few stat categories so therefore he is no good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back