Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty are critical, though. And fair enough.

More, I'm concerned a little about expectation for this season. We looked top 4 quality for about a month and a half off the back of a fairly soft draw and injuries yet to have to take their toll, as well as being a surprise packet and opposition not really being able to plan for us properly. People got their hopes up, and there's nothing quite so crushing as seeing your hope dashed upon the rocks.

Expecting those three players to function at a similar level - for example - to Lachie Schultz (24), Travis Colyer (30), Sam Switkowski (25), Bailey Banfield (24) and Michael Fredricks (22) is unrealistic.
Spot on! We are a 6-8 side at the moment with a favourable draw. I’d like us to finish 7th or 8th this year with an elimination final against the Pies. That would be good experience. We are not ready this year and it shows. We just don’t have the maturity yet.

saying all that we are not playing anywhere near our best and our best can beat anyone .. we string 5 weeks of good football together at the right time say hello Hawthorne 2008

34 touches at 55%DE says it all. Tries to do way too much at times. Needs to keep it simple and get the better ball users involved.
Honestly it’s simple with Cripps … get ball give it to first best option.

Plays like that he is in Brownlow form.

Once he starts doing superman shite he goes from Brownlow to just brownshite

Complete control. Magical

View attachment 1455426
Saad's speccy was incredible, but he was in intercept mode all day.

Any loopy kick from GWS was at risk of Saad making up huge ground, launching himself at the ball and either marking or spoiling.

Was like a prime Jacob Weitering Mini Me today...

Last edited:
Saad was a star, difference early. Just could get going early and Pruess was dominating in the ruck, looking forward to Pitto’s return.
Pitto back is going to be massive for our midfield. Don’t get me wrong King has done a remarkable job, and the experience will hold him in good stead but he s5ill needs 2-3 years of putting on some mass.

Gotta say it - and someone mentioned it in the match thread - the Saad Woof thing is utterly cringeworthy. Come at me.....
Yeah, he ain’t a massive kick really, was a bit surprised it took off, the previous holders of the woof were massive kicks. But it has stuck now, us oldies just have to accept that the millennials reward for less and move on.

Should be a team rule that Cripps isn't allowed to kick on his left.
had a kid in primary school (yeah, a real "kid") who used to beg to play footy with the rest of us but he was so good we couldn't get the thing off him - so we made him kick with his non-preferred foot - didn't make much difference in the end.........kids can be cruel..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pitto back is going to be massive for our midfield. Don’t get me wrong King has done a remarkable job, and the experience will hold him in good stead but he s5ill needs 2-3 years of putting on some mass.

Agree.A week off next week and then good luck trying to keep Charlie/Harry/TDK (resting) moving forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think there is still a way to go for Cottrell. Taking out individual games AFL stat benchmarks have him below average in a lot of key categories. He is above average in nothing useful Vs his peers.

I think the truth is Cottrell is coming off such a low base that he has impressed in two games this year.

If he can improve another ten percent hopefully we can cal him average vs his peers.

Vs GWS, Cottrell was good. But what about Geelong where the whip was really cracking??

Last edited:
adam-saad-of-the-blues-takes-a-high-mark-over-james-peatling-of-the-picture-id1410568149

adam-saad-of-the-blues-takes-a-high-mark-over-james-peatling-of-the-picture-id1410568147
1658674080754.gif

Think there is still a way to go for Cottrell. Taking out individual games AFL stat benchmarks have him below average in a lot of key categories. He is above average in nothing useful Vs his peers.

I think the truth is Cottrell is coming off such a low base that he has impressed in two games this year.

If he can improve another ten percent hopefully we can cal him average vs his peers.

Vs GWS, Cottrell was good. But what about Geelong where the whip was really cracking??
He’s elite at disposal efficiency, above average ar kick efficiency. Is average at possessions and goals. He’s actually playing wing/ half forward. You shouldn’t compare him to on ballers or even full time wings.

He gets one less effective disposal a game than Sidebottom.

He’s elite at disposal efficiency, above average ar kick efficiency. Is average at possessions and goals. He’s actually playing wing/ half forward. You shouldn’t compare him to on ballers or even full time wings.

He gets one less effective disposal a game than Sidebottom.

How elite was he versus Geelong?

Elite for low disposals and check out his metres gained. Below average for tackles, possessions, metres gained.

He just needs another ten percent Jump and for people to not overrate form vs weak opposition.

Last edited:
How elite was he versus Geelong?

Elite for low disposals and check out his metres gained. Below average for tackles, possessions, metres gained.

He just needs another ten percent Jump and for people to not overrate form vs weak opposition.
His averages are broadly trending up when comparing his first and second half of year stats.

Without wanting to overrate Cottrell, I think you've missed that 10 percent jump you're after.

Really liking Cottrell's progression, still think he is the biggest improver of the season
Considering that people were saying that he was in the firing line to be delisted last year, the year he's had since getting back into the side pretty much cements his spot as the biggest improver this season. Kennedy is also having a best year ever so far.

His averages are broadly trending up when comparing his first and second half of year stats.

Without wanting to overrate Cottrell, I think you've missed that 10 percent jump you're after.

How do you see Cotts and 2023. From an Austin list mgmt perspective? Is he best 22 or a squad player? Would you be looking to add a winger accepting the fact that he has filled in as a defensive forward.

Austin replaced SPS with either Saad or Williams. Take your pic. The biggest stat difference I could find was metres gained. SPS had such a low metres gained trait around 160. Cottrell is just a tick over 200. Despite a few highlights he kicks sideways. It’s important for a player wanting to play wing.

I don’t mind Cotts but I see him as a squad player going forward. I just don’t get carried away when we win a game.

I do take your point about improvement. I think early doors his metres gained was a bit lower. If he can get it to 300 it’s enough for a list manager not to look on the market.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back