Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ROB would still be a top ten ruck.

There's not many good ones ...
Rob is easily one of the worst ruckmen in the entire comp..

cant kick, cant handball, stumbles around and gets in his team mates way, is a garbage tap ruckman.

his only redeeming qualities used to be his contested/intercept marking around the ground, and thats all but dried up nowdays, and his tackling in 2020 when he was tackling like a man possessed. this tackling prowess disappeared after 2020 when he was given a 5 year contract.. tackling for a big mans hard work. its now clear that he was only doing it in 2020 to help in his re-contracting negotiations..

the other thing thats crept into his game is an uncanny ability to spoil his own team mates in marking contests..

he’s a complete spud… he literally should be wearing the opponents colours when he plays, the big unco moron..

theres no way he’s anywhere near a top 10 ruckman in the comp. young TT is even better than him.. and at this point I’d even rather Murray, frampton or himm.. and strawnie is way better.

Personally there's a few conditions I would do it..

• must only take 650k of his contract with the rest paid by pies
  • ROB gets traded
  • remuneration for ROB is traded to pies for Grundy. No first round picks involved.
I don't mind your proposed deal but I think that weeds and the fox footy article he linked were more about us helping out Collingwood by allowing them to salary dump. Therefore, we receive draft picks from them, not the other way around.

Whatever deal we might do with Collingwood, we hold the power at the table. It's more a case of them accepting our terms than that of them setting terms.

I'm not sure about the Grundy simply because of his form. Are we capable of lifting him up to his previous heights? New club, new start etc...

If we got Grundy for $750k per year (Maggies pay the balance) and we received their 1st rounder for helping them out, we could use two 1st rounders for JHF.
Grundy and JHF wouldn't be a bad trade period. Total net cost is cap space and one 1st rounder. The cap space is not problem considering our current contracts and particularly our looming retirements.

PlayStation overheating. Must stop.

At his best, ROB is an average AFL ruckman. He is never going to put the team on his back and get us over the line like Gawn and Nic Nat.

At his worst he is not AFL standard.

You can win a flag with an average AFL ruckman provided that you have great midfielders. Even if we are optimistic, Grundy will be 30+ when we are a chance for the flag. We need to develop or trade in a gun young ruckman. Possibly Thilthorpe is the answer and we use ROB and Strachnie until he is ready.

ROB cost us heaps against Hawthorn by dropping marks which he should have taken. He is better in the wet because no one is marking the ball 😊.

Hi Guys, I’m a long time reader and first time poster, huge crows fan….Needless to say very hesitant posting on a forum like this as I’ve watched others cut down for posting information they’ve heard. I have a source on the goldy who is in business with a current GCS player. They say the current player has said that Rankine to the crows is very much in play … crows offer is 4 years at 650k, apparently Izak is hoping GCS will match the money to stay but the longer it drags on the more likely Izak is to leave and is warming to the idea of heading home to be closer to family. The players have asked Rankine if he is staying and he is being very coy and non committal when asked.
Just passing on what I’ve heard and not wanting to kick a hornets nest! Will likely be my only post on BF

Hi Guys, I’m a long time reader and first time poster, huge crows fan….Needless to say very hesitant posting on a forum like this as I’ve watched others cut down for posting information they’ve heard. I have a source on the goldy who is in business with a current GCS player. They say the current player has said that Rankine to the crows is very much in play … crows offer is 4 years at 650k, apparently Izak is hoping GCS will match the money to stay but the longer it drags on the more likely Izak is to leave and is warming to the idea of heading home to be closer to family. The players have asked Rankine if he is staying and he is being very coy and non committal when asked.
Just passing on what I’ve heard and not wanting to kick a hornets nest! Will likely be my only post on BF
Welcome aboard...
Very strong start my friend.
If you've been lurking for a while, you'll know that this will be largely seen as excellent news.

Your second post is now under immense pressure to keep the standard you've set for yourself.😁😁😜

thanks for sharing, and welcome. Ignore the douche bags to follow who will try and tear this down!

If this comes true, you will qualify to make a second post.

Another small forward. Where will we fit them all in! 🙃

Draper, Darcy, Gawn, Jackson, McInerney, Cameron, English, Hickey, Witt's, Nankervis, Marshall, Reeves, Preuss are all better. Not top ten.
Draper might eventually be but isn't yet. Actually had had a pretty bad year.

McInerney you could make a case for, and probably that's still true for Nankervis too.

Sides would take O'Brien before Preuss, Reeves and Hickey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy for anyone to compare Rob's numbers with other ruckmen to get a sense of where he stands.

I mean, I want him gone too, but I'm just being realistic about the state of ruck stocks in the league.
Probably a discussion for another thread but I had a quick look and focussed on his Marking numbers - as this seems to be the one area most look at

RoB had 1 good year at 3.8 and is trending downward - currently career average of 3.3pg

Gawn averaging 4.4 career but is at 5 over the last 4 years

Grundy - who most want to replace RoB - has only had 1 year above 4 - and sits in RoBs range averaging 3.5 career

Luke Jackson is averaging 2.9 but trending upwards currently 3.2 this year

I dont know the stats but every time i see draper he is a blood and guts player that plays physical no nonsense footy and he can kick a goal. I like him. ROB for a big guy that can mark, seems to not physically impose himself on games when he really could be.

Re possessions, i would not take them as the be all and end all as we could say matt crouch gets lots more touches than soligo but i'd rather soligo in the side

Draper gives away about 3 free kicks a game on average compared to Rob’s 1 as well

Outside of goals ROB destroys him in every facet of the game - it’s not even a comparison at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Decision based solely on stats, so AFC.

Not at all. Have you actually watched other ruckmen play? I don’t think ROB is the answer for us but the ruck stocks around at the moment are poor. If Draper is a better play than RoB with 9 touches (against 14) 1 tackle 3 frees against and half the hit outs and half the marks then he is an extremely dynamic and influential player on a team that until two weeks ago was below us on the ladder (with 3 or 4 top ten draft picks running around in his midfield)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dont just post once.. that’d be silly..

Join in the conversation permanently.

Who cares if every now and then you may get into a heated conversation, have a clash if ideas, have someone call you an idiot etc etc. thats life.

Learning to brush off personal abuse is character building.

As for your comments on Rankine..

They have been saying all year he’s gonna re-sign.. but given how long its been dragging on now there definitely has to be some merit to the comments you have been privy to..

And if the $650 p/y is correct then that means the GCS’s are offering him atleast 50-100k or more less than that..

Considering he is emerging as one of their best players this year… then they are clearly lowballing him.. probably because of their salary cap constraints..

Hopefully $650 is the lower end of the crows offer.. and if gcs end up caving and matching it the crows then blow them out of the water with another even higher offer.. then simply use their huge salary cap space to frontload the hell out of it.

They have salary cap space.. they need to start using it to improve the list, as the current methods of improving the list arent working!

Draper might eventually be but isn't yet. Actually had had a pretty bad year.

McInerney you could make a case for, and probably that's still true for Nankervis too.

Sides would take O'Brien before Preuss, Reeves and Hickey.
I think the question isn't so much which rucks are marginally worse than O'Brien and more which side would actually take him

For example I don't think Essendon would bother taking O'Brien when they have Draper regardless of who had a better year. Same with Sydney and Hawthorn

The only teams I could make a case for taking O'Brien are West Coast, Geelong and Port Adelaide. A few other sides might look at him as a depth ruck or second ruck

I think the question isn't so much which rucks are marginally worse than O'Brien and more which side would actually take him

For example I don't think Essendon would bother taking O'Brien when they have Draper regardless of who had a better year. Same with Sydney and Hawthorn

The only teams I could make a case for taking O'Brien are West Coast, Geelong and Port Adelaide. A few other sides might look at him as a depth ruck or second ruck
I think Sydney would take him, as Hickey's body is almost done. Western Bulldogs potentially as well, so English doesn't need to play as much as a tap ruckman.

GWS probably do, if they miss out on Grundy. Geelong and Port look at it.

I think Hawthorn and Essendon back in their young rucks.

Personally there's a few conditions I would do it..

• must only take 650k of his contract with the rest paid by pies
  • ROB gets traded
  • remuneration for ROB is traded to pies for Grundy. No first round picks involved.
Couldn't see ROB as part of the deal unfortunately. Pies would be getting rid of Grundy as a salary dump, and also because they believe they have cover without him, so they wouldn't have need for a ruckman in return.

Dont just post once.. that’d be silly..

Join in the conversation permanently.

Who cares if every now and then you may get into a heated conversation, have a clash if ideas, have someone call you an idiot etc etc. thats life.

Learning to brush off personal abuse is character building.

As for your comments on Rankine..

They have been saying all year he’s gonna re-sign.. but given how long its been dragging on now there definitely has to be some merit to the comments you have been privy to..

And if the $650 p/y is correct then that means the GCS’s are offering him atleast 50-100k or more less than that..

Considering he is emerging as one of their best players this year… then they are clearly lowballing him.. probably because of their salary cap constraints..

Hopefully $650 is the lower end of the crows offer.. and if gcs end up caving and matching it the crows then blow them out of the water with another even higher offer.. then simply use their huge salary cap space to frontload the hell out of it.

They have salary cap space.. they need to start using it to improve the list, as the current methods of improving the list arent working!

They’re probably valuing him at something closer to the average of his performance over this contract period. A bit like Port did with Polec and we should have done with ROB. I wouldn’t offer him top $ as a flat contract, his non-contract years rule him out of that.

Getting Grundy would end up like the Gibbs deal, just a stinker that we cant get rid of quick enough
Agree. It just doesn’t make any sense, not at his current age.

the only way it makes a semblance of sense is if we managed to offload ROB and his contract at the same time, and Collingwood did indeed subsidise Grundys contract.

then you’d be in a scenario where you had Grundy as your ruck instead of ROB for similar $. It would still cost us a second round draft pick unless we got the same for ROB - and came out even.

having said all that, why would another club take ROB in such a scenario and not Grundy? Only reason would be player preferences on where they go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back