No Oppo Supporters 2022 Season - Season in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question - who of our best players is really in their prime? Cripps, Saad and Doc? MAYBE Weitering but I’d argue against that. Williams but he barely played. I think people under estimate the lack of experience in this side.

I’d grade us a C+. A pass but not much more. The + for finding Lewis Young, George Hewett and the Kennedy renaissance.
Curnow, McKay, Martin, McGovern, Hewitt, Silvagni...

A better question might be who isn't? Walsh amd Cerra, but they aren't far off (and Walsh was better last year than this..). What improvement do we have in the list? We've traded out draft picks for 3 years, whiffed badly on others...

This might be as good as the list gets and we still came up short. Horrible to think about, I know, but the missing piece isn't walking through the door.

Enormous fail…our ladder position is a result of an easy draw

Easy draw….??

We played Collingwood Freo and Richmond twice….there all above us on the ladder

We beat this season
Sydney, WB, Freo and Richmond who all finished above us….lost to Melb and pies by a collective goal.

Yes we should have played finals but gee whiz I don’t get that easy draw stuff…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Success or improvement isn’t linear but the last four weeks makes the climb a lot steeper and longer, we might need to leave a few bodies back at Base Camp.

I just picked a random year to look at
2019 as before covid.
Interstate matches success rate drops significantly for most Victorian teams.

Collingwood only played 1 interstate match up to Round 10.
Carlton had played 4 interstate by that time & lost some confidence with some smashings.
Richmond had played 3 interstate up to Rd10. Richmond got also a total of 5 interstate matches. What a surprise!

Collingwood evenly spaced interstate -no early season interstates matches to build momentum.total of 5 interstate.
Rd 5, Rd 10, Rd 17, Rd 18, Rd 22.

Carlton got 6 interstate games.

In 2022, when missing out on finals by percentage variables such as the fixture matter.
Collingwood NEED to play 6 interstate next year
At least one against Fremantle, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast, Adelaide & GWS or Port.

A better question might be who isn't? Walsh amd Cerra, but they aren't far off (and Walsh was better last year than this..). What improvement do we have in the list? We've traded out draft picks for 3 years, whiffed badly on others...

This might be as good as the list gets and we still came up short. Horrible to think about, I know, but the missing piece isn't walking through the door.
Curnow and Mackay aren’t in their prime.

And they won’t be next year either

There were positives and negatives to the season. At face value, to start 8 - 2 and miss finals is a failure any way you look at it. I don't believe we have a list that can win finals or 17 as it presently looks.

The off season we need to learn running patterns, overlap handballs and the ability to flick a ball around in a tight pack on instinct. Yes, our third quarter was sensational but that was more because of brute style of play, crash and bash with Cripps leading the way.

When momentum isn't with us, we struggle with teams on the spread, the quick release and the hard running.

That and Harry and Charlie learning how to create and lead to space and our midfielders knowing where to kick inside 50 as set plays. All the good teams do it and often create scoring opportunities on instinctive play of where players should be inside 50.

My biggest concern is that many already think it’s a given we play finals next season.
Supporters, sections of the media are all saying it.
Just hope the players don’t believe it’s just going to happen for them as we could be in for a major letdown. Hope I’m proven wrong.
Nothing is guaranteed, and you have to take the opportunities as they arise. We had plenty and failed to capitalise on them.
Turned out to be a pretty disappointing failure for me.

2022- A failure.
But it is a failure in the end for all teams but one.

Even if there are injuries, need to find ways to improve in 2023.

Eg Lewis Young - if in front you can mark instead of punching the ball all the time. Improve.

Team make up is wrong 3 small forwards doesn’t work. Motlop, Durdin and Owies. Pick only 2.

More adaptability in midfield is required.

Need to get both ruckmen good enough that they can score goals as well if they rest in forward pocket.

Failure.

Some positives but to be in the position we were in and throw it away like we did is not good enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we’d make the 8 so on face value it’s a fail albeit with some caveats.

IMO the injury situation has reached a breaking point. I don’t want to be that guy but I hope Russell will have a hard end of season interview with Cook and Lloyd. I understand injuries to Weitering, McKay, Pittonet were largely unavoidable but wtf is going on with David Cuningham? Why is Jack Martin continually having calf injuries? Russell has had 4 years to work out Mitch McGoverns hamstrings. Also if Sam Walsh couldn’t walk today then just call it out during the week that he can’t play! Next year is year 5 of his tenure which is long enough to make his mark and I haven’t seen any tangible improvement in injury management so IMO Russell is on notice next season.

That said my biggest concern is this clubs ability to deliver when there is expectation. We need to recruit a player from a successful club who can at the very least be a calming influence on the training track. The irony is today Voss would have been of most value if he was on the field. I’m thinking we need to get someone like Breust, McEvoy, Hurn, Selwood, Cotchin etc who can be our Pendlebury when it gets tight. Until then we are literally relying on blowing everyone way based solely on natural talent, and whilst we have a lot and it sounds awesome, in my experience it seldom results in the ultimate glory.

Last edited:
Enormous fail…our ladder position is a result of an easy draw
Number of times each team played the Top 8 in 2022:
12x - Bombers, Giants, Saints
11x - Blues, Port, Dees, Eagles
10x - Suns, Hawks, North, Dogs
09x - Crows
08x - Lions, Pies, Dockers, Cats, Swans
07x - Tigers

eAsY dRaW...

Last edited:
Don't get caught up on the last few weeks of the year, guys. Easy to see things as a negative from the inside, but from an outsiders perspective it's an overwhelming pass for mine. You clearly took a step forward and improved considerably.

Could be the unluckiest side to ever miss the finals. Don't dwell on it, you have two of the best KPF's in the competition and a genuinely top four midfield. Keep adding to it and another pre-season under Voss' gameplan and you'll be thereabouts again.

We didnt come up short for talent, when there was a game to be won we broke clear of melbourne and collingwood. Where we came up short was in the maturity to close it out which only comes with experience.

What is holding us back is the wings and small forwards, we need more ability to win a contest between the arcs and create off the huge key forward combo we have.

You tipped us to be 9th - 10th, how is our season a failure based on that prediction
Firstly my personal prediction has nothing to do with the goal of the group. Success or Failure really is wether you reach top 4. The President in the beginning of the season and Voss today said the goal was finals. Ultimate success is a premiership
Secondly once a team is 8-2 the bar rises. From 8-2 Carlton failed by not making finals. The inability to win 1 of the last 4 a failure and to choke in the last weeks a failure.
Thirdly the supporter base should demand wins and success.
The gradual, improvement philosophy leads to complacency and mediocrity.
7 years since the rebuild begun and Carlton can not claim 1 finals series or place in the top half of the ladder = Failure.

Can’t believe how many “failures” I’m reading. Take the emotion out of it, take a step back, and assess it for what it is.

Our team has been utter shit for 11 years. You don’t just come in as a new coach and teach them how to come up against the best after one pre-season with them.

We just amassed our most wins since the 2011 season. It’s also the first time since that season that we’ve finished the season with more wins than losses.

It was our lowest total ‘points against’ since the 2011 season as well.

11 ****ing years and we’re finally relevant again, in our coach’s first season, and that’s a failure?

Am I disappointed we missed finals? Yes. However finals aren’t overly important (in terms of development) if you’re just making up the numbers, which we would’ve been. Demons 2020 (9th). Richmond 2016 (13th). West coast 2017 (8th). All won the flag the following year.

Im proud of what they achieved this year. Disappointed in how it’s all ended, hurt even, but damn proud. It takes time to weed out bad habits that have been engrained in a team for over a decade. You can’t just un-do that overnight. But we witnessed great progress this year after only 1 pre-season under a new coach.
We finally have a system which is proven to work, we simply had an interrupted run at executing it with injured cattle. Another pre-season under Voss and I think we’ll be right up there next year.

Things to fix heading in to 2023:
  • Fade-outs during games
  • Faster transition of the ball from BL to FL
  • F50 entries & locking the ball in

Go Blues 💙

Expectation and pressure is an issue for this club.

Our best wins were Freo and Sydney. We turned up wired up but both those teams didn’t. It’s impressive form but not 100% trustworthy as they turned up not in same mindset as us. It happens with interstate games. Us in Freo was simply the reverse of Freo in Melbourne. It’s false form for both sides.

The games that were trustworthy where both teams turned up were Pies x2, Cats and Dees ( all in top 8 or threatening). Early in the season, maybe the Doggies game after we impressed versus Tigers to make it 2 sides both mentally up on same day. Maybe the doggies didn’t believe our form and we were up.

Of the 4 where it was def head to head we didn’t get the job done. They were the four I look at. I do give some credence to Tigers and Doggies but with those wins we went in as underdogs and surprised. The four later in the season had zero surprise factor and are reliable indicators.

Next season we need to win these games and it will mean volumes.

Can’t believe how many “failures” I’m reading. Take the emotion out of it, take a step back, and assess it for what it is.

Our team has been utter s**t for 11 years. You don’t just come in as a new coach and teach them how to come up against the best after one pre-season with them.

We just amassed our most wins since the 2011 season. It’s also the first time since that season that we’ve finished the season with more wins than losses.

It was our lowest total ‘points against’ since the 2011 season as well.

11 ******* years and we’re finally relevant again, in our coach’s first season, and that’s a failure?

Am I disappointed we missed finals? Yes. However finals aren’t overly important (in terms of development) if you’re just making up the numbers, which we would’ve been. Demons 2020 (9th). Richmond 2016 (13th). West coast 2017 (8th). All won the flag the following year.

Im proud of what they achieved this year. Disappointed in how it’s all ended, hurt even, but damn proud. It takes time to weed out bad habits that have been engrained in a team for over a decade. You can’t just un-do that overnight. But we witnessed great progress this year after only 1 pre-season under a new coach.
We finally have a system which is proven to work, we simply had an interrupted run at executing it with injured cattle. Another pre-season under Voss and I think we’ll be right up there next year.

Things to fix heading in to 2023:
  • Fade-outs during games
  • Faster transition of the ball from BL to FL
  • F50 entries & locking the ball in

Go Blues 💙
Dees won 2 finals and played in a PF in 2018.

Tiges made the finals in 2013/14/15.

Eagles played in the in 2015 GF.

Our blokes have done nothing.

And how tf are we 'finally relevant again'?

By finishing 9th? :rolleyes:

I will also add, wasn't your defence decimated for large chunks of the year? To stay inside the eight with so many missing was a great effort IMO. Think you are better placed than sides like WB and Richmond who ended up making it. You have the list to consistently play finals. You'll get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back