List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we'd be better off retaining him for one more year next year even if we get nothing if he leaves the following year.
He won't be a free agent when he is out of contract unless they change the rules again as he never reached it at Fremantle and he'll have only spent five years with us so won't qualify based off his time here. Unless Freo finish at the bum end of the table, we'd at least get a normal trade return.

He won't be a free agent when he is out of contract unless they change the rules again as he never reached it at Fremantle and he'll have only spent five years with us so won't qualify based off his time here. Unless Freo finish at the bum end of the table, we'd at least get a normal trade return.

Yeah I hadn't really thought through the trade return or whether he would be a free agent, but you'd think that there isn't going to be a big difference between what we could get at the end of this year vs end of next year. Probably one first round pick.

Interesting things out of the footy show last night I thought and interested in our gurus on this topic such as briztoon and a couple of others. They said Lachie Neale will again explore going back to WA and that GWS cant retain both of Tarano or Hopper (not great with GWS players so may not be right there). If we lost Lachie, could we look at one of those boys or would they go back to VIC.

In addition they said Liam Jones will come back to AFL. Could he assist our team as he is playing on GC?

They also kept banging on about Pies being one key fwd short to being great. Has me worried about our boy Dan who I would just hate to lose.
I’m definitely not a guru, purely a rank amateur.

I can’t see a trade with either Fremantle or West Coast that would satisfy either potential trade partner and ourselves, unless WC for some unknown reason are happy to trade their first round pick this year for Neale.

Fremantle don’t “need” Neale, they need a key forward, but might have their eyes set on Luke Jackson from Melbourne.

Didn't see the Neale thing pop up on any of the clips posted on socials, who went with it?

I can't see us getting anything that we'd want from Freo noting we don't need draft picks this year. Reckon we'd be better off retaining him for one more year next year even if we get nothing if he leaves the following year.
On the program with Hutcherson, Cornes, Caroline Wilson and Lloyd last night. They said that Neale to Freo, Kelly back to Cats and a third player going back to his old club could happen with Lachie and the other layer the most likely to be back on the agenda. I watch with my partner and we couldnt work out whether they were shooting the breeze about it or whether it was going to happen.

Have I missed something - what has triggered this?
was discussed on nines footy program last night that Lachie, Tim Kelly and Tom Mitchell - I forgot Tom earlier - could all return to there old clubs next year. No idea how true it is. Im not sure how to link but there is a user on youtbe called Footy Bits that uploads a lot of the non Foxtel footy shows without commercials which is great for us Queenslanders that dont get these shows until really late or not at all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Six months ago I was all for seeing what we could get for Neale in return, on the basis we could completely reset the midfield without him.

Ten rounds in and having seen him play this year compared to the rest of the midfield I don’t think it’s that extreme to say if he leaves the premiership window shuts. That is how much our midfield is relying on him right now, sadly.

Potentially a top 10 pick may be the best we can ask for
So Neale is under contract for one more year at the end of this year.

Back into full form.

And we're getting a theoretical pick that will definitely not be top 10, looking at Fremantle's effort this year and adding Neale on top of that.

Nah. There's reasons guys are saying straight up no.

Back into full form.

And we're getting a theoretical pick that will definitely not be top 10, looking at Fremantle's effort this year and adding Neale on top of that.

I wouldn't say definitely Fremantle could drop off next year. Perhaps they could somehow trade up to a mid top 10 pick

Anyway just a suggestion..

Back into full form.

Neale is a freakish player and if he had a Petracca or Oliver alongside him we'd be unstoppable.

Plus he rises to the occasion in big moments. Most possessions in a final ever vs Melbourne last year.

Whilst our window is open keep him at all costs. Within reason

Good discussion. I too hope McStay decides to stay put but it's not looking good, especially considering that in recent seasons we have signed literally everyone we wanted to by like August.

My question, and I may be misinformed but it's based on what I've been reading in the trade articles on the AFL website, is that McStay is not in our 25% best paid players, therefore would be an UNrestricted free agent. Is that correct? If it is, does that therefore mean that we would have no right to match a bit from a rival club AND would receive no compensation in the draft?
Correct mate.

Correct mate.
If someone is a restricted free agent, then their current club has the right to offer matching terms and if they do then the RFA must either accept the matched offer, head to the draft, or seek a trade.

Unrestricted free agents are not obliged to accept a match but the club can certainly offer it if they choose and then it's up to the player what they want to do.

The same compensation formula applies whether a free agent is restricted or unrestricted.

If Mcstay goes we still have Joe and hippy plus can rotate fort or Oscar up forward as the 3rd tall . Pretty much what we done all year . Won’t be disastrous yeah he is a good player but he not browny or Riewoldt type .

If Mcstay goes we still have Joe and hippy plus can rotate fort or Oscar up forward as the 3rd tall . Pretty much what we done all year . Won’t be disastrous yeah he is a good player but he not browny or Riewoldt type .

Last year we were 1-5 when he didn't play (including the Melbourne final when he was knocked out really early) and this year we're 1-1

Doesn't definitely state his worth given we didn't have Fort last year but signs are that he's pretty important

Last year we were 1-5 when he didn't play (including the Melbourne final when he was knocked out really early) and this year we're 1-1

Doesn't definitely state his worth given we didn't have Fort last year but signs are that he's pretty important
We also won nearly every game when Harris and Neale have been out for extended periods. So it's sometimes hard to correlate a player's importance.

We were playing really poorly when we were 1-3 and got robbed at Geelong IIRC.

Him being out and Payne getting knocked out cost us the Bulldogs final.

I think he's important especially given our other injuries to keys. Maybe he could've nullified Sicily on Sunday.

We also won nearly every game when Harris and Neale have been out for extended periods. So it's sometimes hard to correlate a player's importance.

We were playing really poorly when we were 1-3 and got robbed at Geelong IIRC.

Him being out and Payne getting knocked out cost us the Bulldogs final.

I think he's important especially given our other injuries to keys. Maybe he could've nullified Sicily on Sunday.

Even just a couple of marks or better contests cuts out several off their rebound scores from D50. Clearly the biggest problem was the pressure and poor defensive zoning and running, but our inability to consistently half contests in the air was a big issue.

Last edited:
Even just a couple of marks or better contests cuts out several off their rebound scores from D50. Clearly the biggest problem was the pressure and poor defensive zoning and running, but our inability to consistently half contests in the air was a big issue.
McStay forward and Adams back and we win easily with an extra 12 overhead marks , plus the ones we stop them getting by contesting.

Still we should've won anyway. But I was disappointed with how easily they controlled the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back