List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

End of the day you have to create more reasons than money to retain players when you are going for a flag. The system is designed so other teams can offer more money, so you need to create a great atmosphere and be offering something unique to retain players. You have to given them a reason to accept a bit less money to stay.

Some people thinking McStay is a Wayne Carey clone. McStay is a good battler, if he wants to go for 600k good on him. He’ll still be a battler but one on good money and free adidas clothing. No way in the world are the Lions cutting our good young players to keep him.

Some people thinking McStay is a Wayne Carey clone. McStay is a good battler, if he wants to go for 600k good on him. He’ll still be a battler but one on good money and free adidas clothing. No way in the world are the Lions cutting our good young players to keep him.
He is not Jono Brown etc

Although he does things our other tall forwards does not.
Hence compliments each other.
if he offered $600k over 6 years he be silly not to move
Could do a knee next year or something and then a 2-3 year contract is a lot less

Brisbane CEO Greg Swann says the Lions remain “quietly confident” about re-signing Dan McStay in the last year of his contract.

McStay, 26, will become a free agent at the end of the 2022 season, but there is interest in the tall prospect from Victorian clubs.

SEN Chief reporter Sam Edmund revealed on Friday morning that Collingwood is among a small group of Victorian clubs trying to entice McStay south.

While he’s believed to love Brisbane, Edmund reported that the Lions can’t offer McStay what he’s worth on the open market.

Speaking to SEN’s Dwayne’s World, Swann confirmed the club’s list manager Dom Ambrogio and McStay’s management were in discussions.

“Dom Ambrogio is talking to his management, I think the discussions are pretty positive,” he said.

“Those things take a little bit of time. There’s a little bit of interest out there and he’s a free agent so these things don’t always happen in a hurry, but we’re still quietly confident he’ll stay.

“So hopefully that can get a resolution in a bit.”

As for interest from other clubs, Swann said he wouldn't be surprised if there was. However, the Lions boss added he respected McStay’s call to assess his options.

“I don’t know for sure (that others are interested), but they’re hard to come by good key forwards,” Swann stated.

“So I think it’s prudent from Dan and his management to take their time and see what else is out there.

“But look, I was talking to him this morning, he was back in this week and he remembers the real bad times and he’s enjoying the good times, so we’d like to think that he’ll stay and hopefully we can have some more good times in the next few years.

“So we’ll see where that goes, but it’s positive, there are discussions happening, we’ll just see where they land.”

McStay has played 147 games for the Lions since joining the club through the draft in 2013, kicking 123 goals in that time.

While the Lions key forward and his management originally parked talks until mid-season, Swann confirmed they’d now started again in Brisbane’s hope of confirming a new deal before the end of the season.

“Yeah look you always try and do that (seal the deal before the finish of the home and away season). Initially, we had some discussions early in the year and then we were going to park them until the mid-season bye, but then that sort of sneaks up on you and there’s a whole lot of other stuff happening... we don’t have our bye for another couple of weeks, but we’ve already started having another chat,” Swann added.

“The discussions are pretty fruitful and hopefully we can get Dan to stay, he’s a good player.”

McStay has been named to face GWS on Saturday in his first game back from an ankle injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some talk on the DTFA board that it's Richmond rather than Collingwood who have offered the deal. If Dusty leaves they'll have a huge amount of cap space to play with.
Vomiting Stick Figure GIF by CowWolf

There's some talk on the DTFA board that it's Richmond rather than Collingwood who have offered the deal. If Dusty leaves they'll have a huge amount of cap space to play with.
As feral as that sounds he does seem a better fit there to be honest.

Fits more at Richmond as he wouldn't be the number 1 Key forward there
I mean, in reality he fits best with us. But I was just meaning both teams need a forward, so both would pursue, more so then trying to say which team's list he would fit into more.

What's Jesse Hogan's contract situation?

What's Jesse Hogan's contract situation?

Pretty sure he got a 2 year deal but big nup from me. Has been marginally better at GWS but is oft injured and motivation will always be a question mark. Was brutal for freo.

A couple of goals after marks over kiddy and Noah made his day today look more impressive than it actually was.

Pretty sure he got a 2 year deal but big nup from me. Has been marginally better at GWS but is oft injured and motivation will always be a question mark. Was brutal for freo.

A couple of goals after marks over kiddy and Noah made his day today look more impressive than it actually was.
Misses so many games, just not worth it for a team looking to win every week. OK for GWS because they got him for pick 55.

Surely whoever takes dusty on will have Richmond still paying a considerable amount of his wage… no one is paying a 31 year old dusty the current contract he is on

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back