List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for the backlash when everyone realises that Richmond will get a pick in the late teens (our 2nd pick) this year, for a guy that can't get a game with the worst team in the afl at the moment........

Souup can you please make me feel better about our list
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

EDIT: But seriously.

Defensively we suck. Outside of Corr, McDonald and Mckay I'm not sure we have much for right now. For the future I really like Goater, Perez and Bergman and the important thing with these 3 is they all potentially play different roles off the back flank. I don't think we can expect these 3 to be legitimate consistent performers at the top level for at least another 2 years - we have to be prepared for one or more of these three to potentially not make it. With how late we took Archer he was always a gamble and he's a project, but it could work out.

Midfield we're great, even now. LDU, Simpkin, JHF, Greenwood, Powell, Phillips, Thomas, Stephenson can all go through there and more than hold their own. Legitimate argument to be made whether that's the best position for all of them. Age profile wise all of them outside of Greenwood are young and we've seen great signs of leadership from Simpkin, JHF and Phillips. I have no issues with our midfield both for now and the future.

Forward line is difficult. Larkey and Comben I like as a key forward pairing, but I wouldn't expect much from Comben this year - next year I'll start expecting bigger things at AFL level. I like Zurhaar as a medium tall who can do it on the air or ground and provide defensive pressure - Ford does a similar thing and I'm strong on him. I like Mahony and love Curtis. We need depth in this area though as there's not much apart from these guys.

Between CCJ and Xerri we should have a ruckman for the long-term.

I personally like Curtis Taylor and Bailey Scott and think they should be mainstays provided they continue to improve as players.

As of right now, if i'm being brutally honest, I don't think Lazzaro, Spicer, Patrick Walker, McGuinness, Hayden make it. Jacob Edwards is super raw and very much a project.

Jury's out for me still on Bonar, Atu and Lachie Young

We need to be prepared for these guys to be gone at the end of this or next year: Goldstein, Anderson, Hall, Lynch, Turner, Polec, Josh Walker, Cunners (I hope he can hang around longer but strikes me as the type of bloke that won't try to elongate his career and will want to spend his time on a farm and in a boat)

TL;DR - Midfield excellent. Defense sucks. Forward line ok but no depth or pressure on positions. <--- This all makes sense when you look at our last ~5-6 drafts.

Last edited:
He was a freak wasn't he.

Comben does remind me of him tho. Fingers crossed.

I've never really rated McStay myself. Plenty of other players I haven't rated who've been very good too tho so don't rely on me...
Mate I agree, not many people rate him as a forward but I want him as our CHB or break glass forward if Comben goes down again.

The guy is coming into his prime, rarely misses a game, has a great set of hands and is extremely athletic.

Lets be honest, Walker and Young aren’t AFL standard and we aint getting McGovern or Grimes quality. I understand McStay isnt going to change us from basketcase to finals side overnight but I believe with his experience he will plug a hole very effectively as we develop another KPB we pick up in the ND.

The way we’re tracking he probably won’t want to come anyway - no one will..

On current trajectory Cunners will play the last few rounds. As is his desire.
Goldy not to be at North next season.
No shock there. He wouldn't be happy playing as a forward and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by continuing to play him there.

We need to be prepared for these guys to be gone at the end of this or next year: Goldstein, Anderson, Hall, Lynch, Turner, Polec, Josh Walker, Cunners (I hope he can hang around longer but strikes me as the type of bloke that won't try to elongate his career and will want to spend his time on a farm and in a boat)

TL;DR - Midfield excellent. Defense sucks. Forward line ok but no depth or pressure on positions. <--- This all makes sense when you look at our last ~5-6 drafts.
Can't argue with any of those outs except for Cunners who I wouldn't also be surprised after his cancer scare decide to spend time with the family.

No shock there. He wouldn't be happy playing as a forward and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by continuing to play him there.
I’m sick of this wouldn’t be happy nonsense, in a team sport occasionally you need to do something different is required. Surely he sees why we need to do it.

I’m sick of this wouldn’t be happy nonsense, in a team sport occasionally you need to do something different is required. Surely he sees why we need to do it.
Given the stories of lack of communication from the club since mid 2020 onwards I suspect the shits-cracking is more to do with a lack of transparency last year, than through being asked to do it. That's 100% speculation, though.

Given the stories of lack of communication from the club since mid 2020 onwards I suspect the shits-cracking is more to do with a lack of transparency last year, than through being asked to do it. That's 100% speculation, though.
Possibly although it’d be pretty obvious

I am sure he does see it but that doesn't mean he has to like it from a personal perspective. There is a distinction between not being happy with your situation and throwing the toys out of the cot and I am not saying he isn't trying.

Don't forget he is OOC at the end of the year and I am certain you are not saying he's obliged to stay with us and play out of position in a losing side for the rest of his career when he could go somewhere else, play in the Ruck and chase a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure he does see it but that doesn't mean he has to like it from a personal perspective. There is a distinction between not being happy with your situation and throwing the toys out of the cot and I am not saying he isn't trying.

Don't forget he is OOC at the end of the year and I am certain you are not saying he's obliged to stay with us and play out of position in a losing side for the rest of his career when he could go somewhere else, play in the Ruck and chase a flag.
Well there is rumblings posted elsewhere that he isn’t happy but whilst not being used optimally I’m sure you’d expect better output than has been trotted out.

I’d rather keep him post this season but if he can’t accept his role is to change, as happens with most ageing players and wants to go elsewhere, then best of luck to him, no hard feelings.

The club has to do what’s best for it and it’s future going into a post Goldy era without having a ready to go ruck isn’t in the best interests.

We need him to be flexible here

Well my issue with losing Goldy is we don't get better we get worse. And i am a little over being worse.
Xerri for mine is a mile off any sort of AFL form where I think he could actually impact on a game. CCJ has little exposed form to rate him on. Slaying the VFL doesn't always equate to good form in the AFL. But yes I'd bring CCJ in this week for Xerri.

Well there is rumblings posted elsewhere that he isn’t happy but whilst not being used optimally I’m sure you’d expect better output than has been trotted out.

I’d rather keep him post this season but if he can’t accept his role is to change, as happens with most ageing players and wants to go elsewhere, then best of luck to him, no hard feelings.

The club has to do what’s best for it and it’s future going into a post Goldy era without having a ready to go ruck isn’t in the best interests.

We need him to be flexible here
I agree with what you are saying re no one being bigger than the club.

His output is roughly what I expect from him as a key-forward. His success forward of centre historically has been floating across the front of a pack after out-working the other Ruck - he doesn't have explosive pace, isn't a monster who can wrestle a FB off of him and doesn't really have a chance to use his greatest strength, his endurance. That is before you consider the service he is getting.

We absolutely have to do what is best for the club moving forward which I think is one of X or CCJ as the No.1 Ruck and Comben/Larkey up forward. If we want a third forward/second ruck option it isn't Goldy but it is hopefully Edwards in 24 months.

Well my issue with losing Goldy is we don't get better we get worse. And i am a little over being worse.
Xerri for mine is a mile off any sort of AFL form where I think he could actually impact on a game. CCJ has little exposed form to rate him on. Slaying the VFL doesn't always equate to good form in the AFL. But yes I'd bring CCJ in this week for Xerri.
I’d hope Goldy can figure a way to co exist with another ruck as they need time at the top level to develop.

Todd has been a great servant to the club , no denying that, but heck me….
He couldn’t ruck with Hale or McIntosh, so they became collateral damage.
Now in its darkest hour, Todd is still only thinking about Todd.
For a non premiership ruckman, he sure has a lot of influence and say around the joint!
If this is what it has come to, thanks for your service mate, there’s the door

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The curious part of me is interested to know what "worse" looks like.....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Todd has been a great servant to the club , no denying that, but **** me….
For a non premiership ruckman, he sure has a lot of influence and say around the joint!

Is this your conjecture or has Todd said anything to support this notion that's he's jacking us around?

Is this your conjecture or has Todd said anything to support this notion that's he's jacking us around?

I'm going to assume it's all conjecture but he isn't the first and won't be the last player that feels hard done by at AFL level if it is true.

You know which clubs don't really give a shit about pissing off players with selection? Premiership winning sides. These are just some off the top of my head:

Players Richmond have (probably) pissed off the last 3 years:
  • Anyone who had played a game before and didn't play in the Grand Final over Marlion Pickett in his first game
  • Brandon Ellis found himself on the outer and eventually traded
  • CCJ (clearly)

Players Melbourne pissed off last year at one point or another (probably):
  • Nathan Jones
  • Tom McDonald was on the trade table not long ago and wasn't getting a game after putting in ~10 years for their dumpster fire of a team.
  • Michael Hibberd lost his spot to guys in their 1st or 2nd season after being a mainstay in that Melbourne defense for a long time, similar to Tom McDonald.

Players the Western Bulldogs have pissed off since their Grand Final (probably):
  • Rhylee (and Scott) West
  • Jason Johannisen won a Norm Smith and struggled to hold a spot, having to reinvent himself as a forward, and even then not finding a consistent place
  • Lachie Hunter in recent times
  • Toby McLean was great in a flag and then couldn't get a spot
  • Josh Dunkley wanted a trade to Essendon presumably due to role

Not a premiership side but a guy who has been there and done it is Sam Mitchell who right now is not gifting games to 3x Premiership winner, 245 game Liam Shiels - I can't imagine Liam is thrilled with losing a mid/forward spot to guys who have just been drafted and are averaging ~14 touches a game. He offers more right now than guys like Josh Ward and Connor MacDonald without a doubt but there's reasons for these decisions.

I'm 100% all for romance in football under the right conditions and will celebrate it, but AFL is a tough industry and the footy club comes first.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume it's all conjecture but he isn't the first and won't be the last player that feels hard done by at AFL level if it is true.

You know which clubs don't really give a shit about pissing off players with selection? Premiership winning sides. These are just some off the top of my head:

Players Richmond have (probably) pissed off the last 3 years:
  • Anyone who had played a game before and didn't play in the Grand Final over Marlion Pickett in his first game
  • Brandon Ellis found himself on the outer and eventually traded
  • CCJ (clearly)

Players Melbourne pissed off last year at one point or another (probably):
  • Nathan Jones
  • Tom McDonald was on the trade table not long ago and wasn't getting a game after putting in ~10 years for their dumpster fire of a team.
  • Michael Hibberd lost his spot to guys in their 1st or 2nd season after being a mainstay in that Melbourne defense for a long time, similar to Tom McDonald.

Players the Western Bulldogs have pissed off since their Grand Final (probably):
  • Rhylee (and Scott) West
  • Jason Johannisen won a Norm Smith and struggled to hold a spot, having to reinvent himself as a forward, and even then not finding a consistent place
  • Lachie Hunter in recent times
  • Toby McLean was great in a flag and then couldn't get a spot
  • Josh Dunkley wanted a trade to Essendon presumably due to role

Not a premiership side but a guy who has been there and done it is Sam Mitchell who right now is not gifting games to 3x Premiership winner, 245 game Liam Shiels - I can't imagine Liam is thrilled with losing a mid/forward spot to guys who have just been drafted and are averaging ~14 touches a game. He offers more right now than guys like Josh Ward and Connor MacDonald without a doubt but there's reasons for these decisions.

I'm 100% all for romance in football under the right conditions and will celebrate it, but AFL is a tough industry and the footy club comes first.

Agree with the sentiments (about non-sentiments :sternlook) in your post.

But my main query was about an inference that Todd wasn't towing the line team-wise in some way.

Todd has been a great servant to the club , no denying that, but **** me….

Let me rewrite your paragraph from a different perspective.

Todd has been a great servant to the club, no denying that
His ability to ruck one out for an entire game meant that Hale and McIntosh were no longer needed at the club and could be utilised as trade currency. That delivered an end of first-round pick for Hale and pick 36 for McIntosh.
Now in the club's rebuilding phase, Todd is being played out of his best position to assist the development of younger players.

Anymore than the above is pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back