List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldy will deserve it if form warrants.

Sure he’s been a great servant of the club but I wouldn’t want the club nursing him to 300 just out of some perceived obligation.

He’s afl standard now, and with x injured he can revert to his natural position but if he could find a way to modify his game to deal with x or ccj being main ruck then yeah he will piss 300 in.

I’m still pretty confident he’ll be our best ruck this time next year. It just comes down to what they want to do with forward planning.

Let’s hope he gets to 300, I think it’s important he does.

Goldy will deserve it if form warrants.

Sure he’s been a great servant of the club but I wouldn’t want the club nursing him to 300 just out of some perceived obligation.

He’s afl standard now, and with x injured he can revert to his natural position but if he could find a way to modify his game to deal with x or ccj being main ruck then yeah he will piss 300 in.
If we were to go with Goldy as sole ruck and not bring in CCJ (I think the less likely option) then things might get real very quickly if Goldy's form is up and down or nothing to write home about.

I love your handle

But, LMac was an ok pick, I wonder if Simmo obviously knowing the club had a bit on intel on lmac coming up and probably how locked in we were to him
Agree L Mac was an okay pick, hindsight makes it's too easy to say we shouldn't have matched. I was shattered when the Eagles bid but we only have ourselves to blame we basically paraded L Mac as a North Melbourne football player in the lead up to the draft. We backed ourselves into a corner and had no choice but to match. I think we've learned from that to be a bit more circumspect with Father / Sons.

I was bored at home and procrastinating so I thought I'd organise our list on Notepad.

Mids Age Games Position Drafted
Ben Cunnington 30 227 games pick 5
Jy Simpkin 24 102 games pick 12
Hugh Greenwood 30 90 games Rookie
Jed Anderson 28 85 games pre-listed
Luke Davies-Uniake 22 56 games pick 4
Tarryn Thomas 22 51 games pick 8
Tom Powell 20 17 games pick 13
Will Phillips 19 16 games pick 3
Charlie Lazzaro 20 14 games pick 36
Jason Horne-Francis 18 7 games pick 1

Wings
Jared Polec 29 148 games pick 5
Jaidyn Stephenson 23 78 games pick 6
Curtis Taylor 22 37 games pick 46
Flynn Perez 20 7 games pick 35
Pat Walker 19 0 games Rookie

General Forwards
Jack Ziebell 31 246 games pick 9
Cam Zurhaar 23 70 games Rookie
Jack Mahoney 20 36 games pick 34
Eddie Ford 19 8 games pick 56
Paul Curtis 19 2 games pick 35
Phoenix Spicer 20 1 game pick 42

General Defenders
Aaron Hall 31 149 games Preseason
Luke McDonald 27 144 games pick 8
Kayne Turner 26 108 games Rookie
Bailey Scott 21 41 games pick 49
Lachie Young 23 30 games Rookie
Aiden Bonar 23 26 games pick 11
Atu Bosenavulagi 21 15 games pick 77
Kyron Hayden 22 12 games Rookie
Miller Bergman 19 1 game pick 38
Josh Goater 18 0 games pick 22
Jackson Archer 19 0 games pick 59

Key Defenders
Josh Walker 29 129 games Rookie
Aidan Corr 27 106 games pick 14
Ben McKay 24 42 games pick 21
Matt McGuinness 21 0 games Rookie

Key Forwards
Nick Larkey 23 58 games pick 73
Charlie Comben 20 1 game pick 31

Rucks
Todd Goldstein 33 280 games pick 37
Tristan Xerri 23 18 games pick 72
Callum Coleman-Jones 22 11 games pick 20
Jacob Edwards 19 0 games Mid-Season

It's going to be an interesting off season with a lot of guys out of contract. There is clearly a lot of dead wood to trim off the list, but what do we replace it with? Pick 1 or 2 who is likely going to be another midfielder and Cooper Harvey is a mid forward. We clearly need a couple of spare key position players and the club clearly needs to invest in some top end general defenders. Are we recruiting them from other clubs or the VFL? Or is the club going to try and get back into the draft after pick 2 and before matching Cooper? Really feels like we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner here.

We are one Larkey injury away from playing a 1 gamer as our #1 forward.

We are one McKay injury from playing a bloke who's been delisted twice as our chief KPD.

They have absolutely torched our list. We turfed out experienced, key players, to the point they left on bad terms after years of great service, and didn't replace them with a remotely like for like replacement.
Aged well in the space of 8 days. Sorry, I mozzed it.

I’ve mentioned this guy a few times, but Jack Payne from Bris who is stuck behind Andrews and Gardiner is one we should target.
At about 197cm and 22 he’d walk into our back 6 and would be reasonably cheap.
Agreed. Stuck behind Adams too but has acquitted himself very well when he's played.

Payne would be a great get, great size and super quick. Only problem is that he’s signed until 2024 and would be hard to get out of Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've already said - Melbourne came to us with the trade. We had always been frustrated nobody wanted to trade with the collateral we had each draft period and seemed excited at the deal. I wondered if we were thrilled to just be able to do a deal.

It’s also worth remembering with the Melbourne trade it was an easyish out of a situation where Brady had not started and we’d barely appointed a coach who was doing everything at that point.

We were able to switch out our first to a time where we’d have a team in place and settled (theoretically) + we got sweeteners with additional picks.

It was just thinking that Melbourne were shit.

Yep Payne would be a perfect money ball type

Nobles would know him too
Can we shelve the “moneyball” term.

But he does sound promising

Jack Payne = The major.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Luff is having a massive crank over this idea because he is a money ball type. :stern look
Is he taller than McGuinness

Posted this in the McGuinness thread but it's probably more appropriate here. It's re: the first round pick swap with Melbourne.

My main concern with the trade is we obviously didn't rate Melbourne. They finished higher than we expected the following year, and were a mere 12 months away from dominating the comp and winning the flag (and us receiving pick 18 in exchange).

While the prospect of us cutting it so close we nearly traded pick 8 for pick 18 is bad, what worries me more is that the club hadn't just not identified Melbourne were about to explode on the comp, but thought they were stagnant or on the way down. Rebuilding sides need to be able to know when success is imminent.

I'm all for a critical lens on the current regime but I think this is pretty harsh. I think everyone thought Melbourne of 2020 would surpass their 2019 output.

In our 90+ year history we’ve had maybe 5 players play 300 games.
Come year end Goldy is going to finish on around 295 games that’s if he doesn’t get injured or we miss finals😂

I really want him to play 300, I think he deserves it.

Tough decisions coming up in the off season.
We've had a bunch of great players finish within ten games of a major milestone.

Keith Greig and Anthony Stevens have 290+ but not 300.

John Dugdale, Brady Rawlings, Wayne Carey, Daniel Wells, David King, Shannon Grant and Scott Thompson are all in the 240-249 range.

He's already in the top ten most games for the club.

Honestly, where we're at, I'm leaning towards him not playing next year.

We've had a bunch of great players finish within ten games of a major milestone.

Keith Greig and Anthony Stevens have 290+ but not 300.

John Dugdale, Brady Rawlings, Wayne Carey, Daniel Wells, David King, Shannon Grant and Scott Thompson are all in the 240-249 range.

He's already in the top ten most games for the club.

Honestly, where we're at, I'm leaning towards him not playing next year.
Grant got to 301, Blakey 359, Martyn 300, Bell 286, Schwass 282 just not all with us.

I’ve mentioned this guy a few times, but Jack Payne from Bris who is stuck behind Andrews and Gardiner is one we should target.
At about 197cm and 22 he’d walk into our back 6 and would be reasonably cheap.

Good numbers in the reserves on the weekend. I don’t see it as a moneyball selection. He’s a guy that was pretty raw when drafted, he’s now done an apprenticeship in a good system with good players around him to learn from and he’s ready to go. He’s just lacking opportunities due to the players previously mentioned.

6733D077-B021-4619-ADCE-65472892E687.jpeg

Payne would be a great get, great size and super quick. Only problem is that he’s signed until 2024 and would be hard to get out of Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Previous years would have been easy to get out with the cap squeezes
But I cannot help but wonder if some players had provisions for automatic increases when it was reinstated and maybe, they aren’t as flush as they would like to be and as amendable

If everyone thought Melbourne were on the way up then isn't that a reason not to death ride them?
On the way up from 16th to mid-table or so. What they did two years after isn't relevant to the deal.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need to find a way to take another pick in the MSD. Retire Lynch (Pick 1), then take a mature tall with another pick.

I've said it before but I would look closely at Dyson Hilder from North Adelaide. 196cm 97kg. Been playing across CHB and through the ruck. Elite athlete, strong in the air and a nice kick for a big man. Still only 21.

Lynch was a wise move just wanted to say that for the 20th time. We feel that our lack of mature players around our youngsters was going to impact their development.

The soft cap wasn't an option, but we have plenty of cash in our player cap. Was the only way we could afford it.
I'd rather that wasn't the case but it just is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back