List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget it was also a different system. Bids were done before trade period, and future pick trading wouldn't come in for two more years. In fact, WCE subsequently traded away the pick they used to bid, which IMO is super dodgy. So we had zero ability to trade around the danger zone to get value for the pick the way you can now. Not only that, there was a threat Luke could have gone into the GWS priority draft and we had to make sure he nominated us further out than is usually the case.

Just a crappy situation compared to now. Notwithstanding, Luke's been ok for a pick 8, there's been plenty worse. Would have been nice to have that plus another good player though.
It’s hard I mean the old old system that allowed the cats to fill up using third rounders was poor, the lmac system was not a perfect improvement even the system with academies that allows clubs to access 2 first rounders is spitting out unfair outcomes.

The whole system still needs works

It’s hard I mean the old old system that allowed the cats to fill up using third rounders was poor, the lmac system was not a perfect improvement even the system with academies that allows clubs to access 2 first rounders is spitting out unfair outcomes.

The whole system still needs works
The current system is the least worst I think. Still has some rough edges - I'd prefer the northern academies to also be locked out of the first round like the NGAs, or maybe not attract a points discount - but in general it's about as fair as we can make it without trashing the whole thing and gives clubs the ability to plan around it.

The current system is the least worst I think. Still has some rough edges - I'd prefer the northern academies to also be locked out of the first round like the NGAs, or maybe not attract a points discount - but in general it's about as fair as we can make it without trashing the whole thing and gives clubs the ability to plan around it.
Least worst describes it perfectly I do think a first round pick should be required to pick up a first round academy/FS pick. Obviously you can still match but if your first rounder comes and you don’t pick the player you can’t match first round bids unless you use a future first. Same for each subsequent round.

Last edited:
Omg it’s my fave poster Rob ‘the dilf’ Zombie!!

Last edited:
Young, hungry players would be ideal.

Miller-Bergman-1.jpg
050520_McGuinness.jpg

Thought we've already got that market cornered?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I asked to drop it but that's cool. I'll respond reasonably.

"Do you really think Melbourne could have played finals in 2020 without COVID?"

I'm not sure what the point of that question is, but they barely missed. Collingwood score one less point in one match and it's a couple per cent difference.

The fact of the matter is that one game after Melbourne's finish in 2020 that saw us snare pick whatever it was after we death rode them, they commenced a body of work that saw them finish top of the ladder. That is way too close for comfort and has me concerned that we are unable to identify markers of imminent success. If we had have told our team in 2019 that Melbourne would win the flag in 2021 (but leave them in mystery as to their 2020 ladder position), I reckon there's no chance they make that pick swap deal.

While I don't expect the average Bigfooty pundit to know when a team is about to explode, I do expect our team to have a general gauge that a team they're willing to death ride for a first round swap is about to make a steady run up the ladder. Yes, hindsight is 20/20. Strong clubs have good foresight, though.

As I said, I reckon we got out of jail. Tom Powell is a great pickup, although there's still a lot to play out.

"All of this criticism of our list management over the last three years ignores anything they may have got right."

I've been pretty positive towards how they've managed Aaron Hall and retaining him on the list even when it looked like he was cooked, how they have persisted with Curtis Taylor even when I thought he'd regressed. The Stevo trade was good business. Will Phillips is a pick I'm rapt we took even though we're midfield heavy. I've echoed this throughout many threads. I even came to Noble's defence the other day when people who share views with me as to where we are at criticised him for looking at positives in the press conference. I even try to temper expectations when people seem to suggest that 5 gamers like Perez are imminently about to solve our rebound issues. I'm of the opinion they won't for a while yet but I'm cool with playing them for that experience.

Having said that, you can expect negativity when there is apparent regression in a rebuilding side (I know you and a few others don't think it is regression - agree to disagree there) and when we are, to put it plainly, as putrid a football side as I have ever seen. Negativity comes when people don't have many positives to cling to. Negativity is what brought the change with Brad Scott (which most view as a positive, including myself). Negativity caused Richmond's internal review. Negativity caused Melbourne's internal review.

Sometimes negativity is warranted mate. It sucks because we all want this side to perform to the best of its abilities. We're all North supporters and the vast majority of us want our team to do well. People have different appetites for bottoming out, sure, but you only need look at the attitude and sentiment here in the last half of last year, where we still lost a lot but played some good footy compared to now, to see that it might not be an appetite for bottoming out that's fomenting negativity here but the way in which we are losing at the moment which is sucking hope out of supporters.

I hope you can respect my position. I get the feeling you see me as a hysterical doomsayer but please rest assured that I just want the best for this club.
Crazy that you are getting your panties in a twist about something that never even happened. Melbourne won the GF a year later which is completely irrelevant to our trade the year before

A ruck merry-go-round could again shape this year’s trade period with veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein almost certain to be looking to move and several key big men still to re-sign as clubs look for reinforcements.

Goldstein has been consigned to a support role this year at the developing Kangaroos and is likely to seek more chances elsewhere. At 33, the former All-Australian’s options will likely be concentrated among clubs in flag contention.

North’s focus on development has this year seen them favour Tristan Xerri as first ruck with Goldstein starting on the bench until Xerri’s recent injury. Goldstein, an unrestricted free agent, finished last year in the top bracket of rucks just behind Max Gawn, with Champion Data ranking him fourth in the AFL.

A ruck merry-go-round could again shape this year’s trade period with veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein almost certain to be looking to move and several key big men still to re-sign as clubs look for reinforcements.

Goldstein has been consigned to a support role this year at the developing Kangaroos and is likely to seek more chances elsewhere. At 33, the former All-Australian’s options will likely be concentrated among clubs in flag contention.

North’s focus on development has this year seen them favour Tristan Xerri as first ruck with Goldstein starting on the bench until Xerri’s recent injury. Goldstein, an unrestricted free agent, finished last year in the top bracket of rucks just behind Max Gawn, with Champion Data ranking him fourth in the AFL.

Nice early leak by Goldys manager

It's always interesting when they don't use any source at all about Goldy. Not even "industry sources", which I think means "some random manager's PA".

Nice early leak by Goldys manager
I wouldn't have thought we'd be offering two, so a la Taz, if he gets an offer, its off-ski

Easy to say in hindsight after Tarrants departure I know, but I thought this at the time too.

The delisting of Sam Durdin was an awful/premature decision. He is by no means a world beater, but would be a welcome improvement on our current stocks.

Just seems a very strange choice to have gotten rid of a bloke who was 24 at the time, played a position of need and was a relatively large investment from us (pick 16 in 2014).

A 2 year deal would have seen him through to the end of this year where he would be 26-27 years old. Surely nothing would have been lost by giving him those extra years on minimal money to try and establish himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back