List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

You missed the bit where he had his collarbone broken in the practice match and couldn't play until mid-season. That might have had a small effect on thinking.

And letting Nick Riewoldt do your arguing is like letting Leigh Fisher do your umpiring. He played for St Kilda too. I think Riewoldt is fine on match-day, but is clickbaity on the couch.

Non-career ending injuries are no reason to move a player on. Especially when he is skilled.

So how did Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon know all about this deal to include Pick 7 ... yet St Kilda aren't privvy to the same information. Just looks like we have our heads in the sand.

We just signed Marshall to 2027.

Can we not start the outcry about us potentially trading him.

Toilet Paper Prank GIF

Wow, look at all the football contracts she's getting!

Frankly, both he and Coff have reasons to be traded now if you're chasing a 1stDP as neither has consistently shown that they will, they just might be able to, hence potential.

That's why you entertain it, because you don't sell but if someone else is buying, they're not integral since they're not around enough to be integral. So you can carry now Windy, Owens and Nas in 2, bleeding one and then subbing in others like the Bytel or Highmore who are currently "floating" around in will they won't they category also. Checks and balances.

We wanted 1st dp, hence Hunter +9 that North didn't want and many thought meh even though it was slightly worse but could be better if we had of sniffed elsewhere at other times. Never say never is all, it was always going to be one of them up for conversation around this time as both have underperfomed to date.

These things happen every year, no need to be panties in twists about it.
Trade Coff , yeah righto , thank god you're just another poster and have nothing to do with the club

He has a point though and some of those players wouldn't have cost much but the upside is huge.

Plenty were saying we need a ruck/forward to partner with Marshall and the club were keen on Lobb. Seems weird that it was a priority then not at all.

Non-career ending injuries are no reason to move a player on. Especially when he is skilled.

So how did Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon know all about this deal to include Pick 7 ... yet St Kilda aren't privvy to the same information. Just looks like we have our heads in the sand.

Clark wasn't an option to be traded because he got injured. If the rumours are true it's because he's lazy/ we have doubts he'll develop into the elite mid we need him to.

Geel had the inside running & signed Bowes. Indisputable.

Haw & Ess came in late too & missed out. They got to chat... maybe he looked at them as clubs where he'd be a starting mid. Maybe he looked at StK & thought he'd struggle... maybe he hates StK... we were in the same situation as every other club that made contact with his management & didn't get to first base.

Once again, I ask you what date pick 7 became an official part of the Bowes trade? Geelong targeted him so early because they had inside info thanks to Steve Hocking.

Hahahhaahhahahahaha

I heard his manager saying that to court him you had to show interest in Bowes and not just pick 7. Geelong were after him long before 7 came up. Saints were like a seagull on a chip when a pick was there to be had.

Paddy Dangerfield mentored him after meeting when he went on some international game and Paddy helped out or something too. Has kept in touch all the way along.

Selwood and Danger are everything culture that the Saints don't seem to have. The players want to be there rather than paid a ransom to stay.

Sell the Commodore to buy a Kingswood.
If you had any brains you would take the Kingswood , worth a shipload more than the Commodore although i did see a cracking old SLE Commodore out your way the other weekend , it was as mean as catshit

Clark wasn't an option to be traded because he got injured. If the rumours are true it's because he's lazy/ we have doubts he'll develop into the elite mid we need him to.

Geel had the inside running & signed Bowes. Indisputable.

Haw & Ess came in late too & missed out. They got to chat... maybe he looked at them as clubs where he'd be a starting mid. Maybe he looked at StK & thought he'd struggle... maybe he hates StK... we were in the same situation as every other club that made contact with his management & didn't get to first base.

Once again, I ask you what date pick 7 became an official part of the Bowes trade? Geelong targeted him so early because they had inside info thanks to Steve Hocking.
Funnily enough, this is the first article that mentioned the addition of pick 7 with Bowes. And we are one of the clubs mentioned who has enquired.

100%; the main takeaway for the club is the why?
Is it our ladder position or general feel about the list quality and potential for success?

Or, has it something to do with culture
Is it an environment where players generally love the place and can't get enough of it like Geelong?

Could the st kildas brain trust ratten etc pitch for opposition teams players be mediocre and less than inspiring compared to say Hinkleys at port who they say is reportably very very good?

Personally, I can say that Justin longmuire and Peter Bell's is A grade.

Whatever it is we need to be asking the questions to find out

"inspect what you expect"

Most people don't see us as having potential. Clubs down the bottom on the up can have momentum, clubs up the top that just miss out have momentum. Clubs like Saints and maybe Essendon are seen as stuck in the doldrums with a broken mast. We have drifted into the irrelevancy straights and can't get out.

Oh FFS...

dream GIF

If Home Alone taught me anything, it was the term "les incompétents". Last one to the party, just when everyone else is leaving.

We were busy with helping DeGoey to rip up his contract terms to stay at Collingwood.

I'm sorry bottom line... it's Gallaghers and Lethleans jobs to be equal if not better than Steve Hocking.

If they aren't... well we need to find someone who is.

I was going to quote Mick Malthouse “The Earth is slow and the…” but I clearly had forgotten the specifics of that thought bubble. 😜
I wrote elsewhere that our real trade period was off field, and I’m quite bullish on how that eventuates. I have lived through such abysmal administrations that seeing us finally getting the off field side of things happening is of far greater comfort to me than any activity with trades.
Hence the Zen Buddhist calm.
Now no time to talk further, I have a few mantras that need chanting here at the Ashram.
FWIW l agree, but if things don't happened quickly then membership will decline then we can't meet the soft cap again and we'll be back to zero just as King hits his prime years.
Patents is fine but time is short

I'm sorry bottom line... it's Gallaghers and Lethleans jobs to be equal if not better than Steve Hocking.

If they aren't... well we need to find someone who is.

Gillon McLachlan is looking for work.

Seriously, that's the list of people with Hocking's intel on salary cap who would be available. Brad Scott at Essendon now (hmmm, didn't they get an audience with Bowes? I see a pattern).

I like the impulse to get ahead in the way Geelong have gotten ahead, but it is the very epitome of "easier said that done".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a numerical calculation based off each players weighting on “afl player ratings”

So Geelong/Melbourne/Sydney/Freo not really moving, is actually good for them.

Port not moving doesn’t factor in the potential growth of JHF

Richmond moving massively is a reflection of the weighting of players they brought in.

It isn’t a great metric to be honest

Also we had a lot missing late and have them to come back in but we had a pretty good list available for lots of the second half of the season and they couldn't get it done. We are going to have to get a lot more out of guys that weren't in the best 22 this year and probably some kids.

In all likelihood we play two new draftees and the three from last year to appease the fans for a quiet trade period and to excuse their poor performances at the fault of inexperienced youth.

To me the club want to step back from winning and go to the draft next year so will play plenty of kids.

The pre-season narrative is set now. The media will be coming after St Kilda and Ratts if we play sh*t footy from round 1. We deserve the blowtorch, might kick a few up the arse.
The media won’t do anything. St Kilda doesn’t sell papers.

We are irrelevant.

Yep all our best players bar max will be 27+ next year. (Sincs, steele, marshall wilkie, crouch etc)

No excuses.

All of ratts, rath and gags gone by mid year if we aren't on track for finals.

We are already saying that finals aren't our focus so no one will go.

Pick 7 was on the table, we didn't enter negotiations until it was too late and missed on an interview with him. Source "Mitch Cleary"

Pick 7 ain't no GOP.
Pick 7 was NEVER on the table. Hocking knew from his AFL position that the SC at GC was screwed, he would have taken that IP straight to Geelong when he took the job there. They had the inside running and no other club was going to get a look in, Essendon and Hawks were used as window dressing for what Hocking did.

Why trade in payers for the sake of getting players in that could be off the list in 2 years. De Goey was a great target we missed out on, that 7 from GC was enticing not to sure what happened there, conflicting reports.. 9 & Clark for 3 was overs, and what the Roos were offering for him, that deal was never going to get done.

The club is sitting in a good position we didn't lose any of our good players and didn't gain anyone that moves us up the ladder, our list has heaps of improvement in it i think, and looking forward to see how it all pans out..

I think we run 28 deep on our list, that i think can play at the level. Would like to see the un-contracted players available next year.

So while Ratten & Steele were pumping him up all pre-season as our breakout/future star of 2022. The rest of the management team had already written him off and were plotting in the background to trade him to the highest bidder (if one came along).

Talent development at its finest there.
More a break bones year. He would have gone fine without the injuries and if you had actually listened D'Orasio said that after the injuries they sat down and asked if he wanted a fresh start, so it wasn't all year, but hey like pick 7 doesn't fit the narrative does it?

Hunter has a skillset unlike others in our team.

You don't win a flag with 22 Dmacs, regardless of how hard he goes at it.

Hunter was going really well... then he got smashed. I don't know why that seems to be lost on some people when they're saying he hasn't reached his potential. It at least needs to be part of the conversation.

Back him in and develop him.

He shouldn't have been a trade option.
Best dual sided player in the comp. A rare talent. Lets hope he smashes it next season.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the clubs plan is to sell one of Clark/NWM for 2 first rounders in 12 months to balance the bottom ends lack of high end talent.

Or if we sell both off the back of good years.

It genuinely sounds like renovating your house as opposed to a knock down rebuild

We can't draft or develop players so should be back to exactly the same spot in 4 years. It seems like really dumb list management, sell talented youth and hope to bring in talented youth with the picks you get.

We seem to have gone from no drafting to no trading. We need a bit of both in the new trade landscape. We have a couple of years to get it right and then Tasmania will come in and we'll still be pissing around and at that point we are in trouble.

Pick 7 was NEVER on the table. Hocking knew from his AFL position that the SC at GC was screwed, he would have taken that IP straight to Geelong when he took the job there. They had the inside running and no other club was going to get a look in, Essendon and Hawks were used as window dressing for what Hocking did.

I understand 100% what you are saying, this doesn't discount us taking at shot at it and being at the negiotiation table.

We could have always put sweeteners on the trade and given GC something back the other way.

GC at the end of the day are the ones doing the trade.

But hey lets just roll over, not make a sound and let this happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back