List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

The RookieMe (formerly AFL Draft Central) draft guide is out.

It’s 135 pages.

I’d recommend it to everyone. Just sign up - it’s free - and they’ll send you a copy.

Can easily see us calling out Tholstrup or Collard with our first pick, lets face it we struggle to score as well as our midfield issues. We are thin after Butler and Higgo post trade period for smaller forward types.

Expect Charlie Edwards to be available at our next pick as another speedy mid to go with Henry and Dow.

DiMattia would be an ideal pick also with his speed and a great clearance player as well. But if SOS thinks he can get Edwards at 2nd pick I reckon they target Collard or Tholstrup with first pick.

Leake, Windsor, Wilson wont be available to us dont reckon. Big call on Ollie Murphy KPD also if Sydney and Adelaide pass him up. He is a saints supporter too. Highmore and Adams gone suddenly no depth for key backs.
Murphy & Hardeman are the Saints fans, anyone else?

I had a look at Twomey, ESPN , Sporting news, and 4 Bigfooty user phantom drafts.

None of them have Wilson (11-15 ) or Windsor ( 12-15) available at our pick.
1 of them has Leake ( 188cm utility , but probably defender ) available at our pick.
3 of them have Key Defender Ollie Murphy available at our first pick , none have him at our second.
5 of the 7 have small forward Collard available at our first pick. Only one has him available at our second.
6 of the 7 have midfielder DeMattia available at our first pick. None have him at our second.
All of them have HBF Archie Roberts available at our first pick. Only on has him at our second.
Only 1 has mullet headed diver Tholstrup available at our second.
Only 2 have 188cm defender Hardeman available at our second.
3 have Shoenmaker available at our second.
4 have midfielder Edwards available at our second.
4 204 cm forward archer reid available at our second.
5 have ruckman Goad available at our second.
5 have ruckman Will Green available at our second.
5 have defender Jiath available at our second.
5 have small forward Sanchez available at our second.
Reckon we might be interested in KPD, Will Dawson at our 3rd.
Goad or Green seems good for our 2nd.
Might as well take C.Edwards with our 1st, coz uncertain if he'll make it to our 2nd. The Pies have interest at 25.

He's being diplomatic. Unlike us, he doesn't throw any player under a bus.

Surely you heard the repeated gossip that Howard was on the trade table which directly conflicts with what you just said.

Shock, horror, no takers.
Gossip. Awesome.

Part of a trade is that the player is willing to go.
Howard never wanted to leave so why would the club bother spending time on having him "on the trade table"?
Let's open discussions with other clubs about something that will not happen. Be realistic.

Every player that wanted to leave, left. Even if we had to pay their wages to leave.
He was never leaving, so wasn't involved in any discussions.

Gossip. Awesome.

Part of a trade is that the player is willing to go.
Howard never wanted to leave so why would the club bother spending time on having him "on the trade table"?
Let's open discussions with other clubs about something that will not happen. Be realistic.

Every player that wanted to leave, left. Even if we had to pay their wages to leave.
He was never leaving, so wasn't involved in any discussions.

Acres was kind of taken aback, and coaxed into thinking it was a good idea.

and?

You must have missed the part where he went for PICK 32. Did you see ANY bids for him earlier?

LOL
He was also drafted in 2020 when most of the country was shut down and had very little footy to go off.

Very similar to us with Owens, except we were very lucky as a top 20 pick would have seen him gone.

He was also drafted in 2020 when most of the country was shut down and had very little footy to go off.

Very similar to us with Owens, except we were very lucky as a top 20 pick would have seen him gone.
We got real lucky that Covid had Windy and Owens fly under the radar.

The AFL gives favours to finals teams like the Bulldogs who get JUH @ no.1, GC, Sydney free hits for their academy, Multiply first round picks for North Melbourne who blew up their list, but we have to fluke a bit of fortune because of covid and McLoughlin has the hide to tell us we have benefitted as much as other teams.

Yes I am a Saints fan too. So much so that it my bigfooty nic.

Will Smith Thats Funny GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Edwards and Leake are giving me good vibes this year. I've swapped and changed a million times but would be pretty happy with those too. One of Collard or Sanchez to round us out.

Twombstone mentioned it would be a reach at our first pick and he expects him to come into consideration into the twenties
Adelaide and North have 6 picks between them from pick 10 to 20. Both desperate for Key Defenders hard to see Murphy slip through both clubs. Sydney has a pick in amongst that range also and need key back depth but they have never been one to take a 200cm skinny tall that early that needs a few years to develop.

Twombstone mentioned it would be a reach at our first pick and he expects him to come into consideration into the twenties
I thought we'd be after him too, but he's a very skinny kid and perhaps too speculative for where we are at right now.
I guess if he's still there at our 2nd pick you'd still have to seriously think about it.

Took a quick look at the players outside of the top 20 in the rookieme draft guide and Collard is the one who stood out.

I agree with the writeup that he looks a Bobby Hill/Shai Bolton type.

Would not be upset if we took him!

Would have. One on one he is not bad and would have punched the ball. Cordy was continually out positioned by the GWS forwards and looked completely out of his depth.
The result would not have changed GWS would have won, but Cordy was made a fool of, where Howard for all his faults at least can compete one on one.
I wish we had someone else, Howard makes silly mistakes and I am no fan, but Cordy showed how exposed for height we are down back without a key defender.

We had the best defence in the league all year, and Howard was a major component of that defensive structure.
We have over 90 points scored against us twice in the season, the second time in the final with Cordy down back.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree that Howard would have made a difference, he gets a bad wrap in here because his mistakes stand out. Also agree that GWS were too good for us no matter what and were a grand final quality side.

On reflection that final looks alot better knowing the circumstances the players were under and the form that GWS were in. We had two major rallies when it could have easily been a 10 goal flogging and our players had every right to give up.

On midfielders, the swans drafted Warner, GULDEN and SHELDRICK at picks 39, 32 and 18. All are, or will be in Sheldricks case, gun mids. They came in successive drafts from 2019-2021. Nearly every club had a shot at them and missed completely for Sydney to clean up. They even put a bid in for Owens at the pick after Sheldrick.

It CAN be done at our picks.

My only wish outside of ZZ top is whoever we pick has to be good in the contest and should have no dramas winning one on ones through strength. Speed is another big one and would be a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back