Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried going onto Sportsbet to see if there are odds on Ceglar getting injured on the weekend Vs the Swans. You just know it's going to happen when we need him to play the next month while Stanley is out.

I wish him well and truly hope he strings a good month of footy together. But the bloke is held together by duct tape and is about as durable as a worn profilactic
Jokes aside, hasn't Ceglar more often than not been available since he filled in for McEvoy in 2018? Or am I missing something? 11, 15, 13 and 12 games in his last 4 seasons for the Hawks but by selection rather than injury. Only 3 for Geelong last year but did we even require him for many more than that?

Or do you just mean since last year when he came to Geelong he missed a lot of VFL or something?

Jokes aside, hasn't Ceglar more often than not been available since he filled in for McEvoy in 2018? Or am I missing something? 11, 15, 13 and 12 games in his last 4 seasons for the Hawks but by selection rather than injury. Only 3 for Geelong last year but did we even require him for many more than that?

Or do you just mean since last year when he came to Geelong he missed a lot of VFL or something?
Talking more so to Hawks supporters who seem to think he was a reasonable player but just zero durability. If not for that would have played more footy.

I haven't broken down his time at Geelong but anecdotally, I get a sense that there's been a few occasions where he would have played in the last few years, but was injured or copped a concussion at an inopportune time. He might be unlucky that he just gives off that vibe when you see him run around, but he doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence that he'll plug a hole for us over the duration of Stanley's absence.

The club will be shattered Toby Conway is unavailable. Reliably informed that he would have played last year had he not got injured / concussed late in the year playing VFL. The coach is a big fan.

Talking more so to Hawks supporters who seem to think he was a reasonable player but just zero durability. If not for that would have played more footy.

I haven't broken down his time at Geelong but anecdotally, I get a sense that there's been a few occasions where he would have played in the last few years, but was injured or copped a concussion at an inopportune time. He might be unlucky that he just gives off that vibe when you see him run around, but he doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence that he'll plug a hole for us over the duration of Stanley's absence.

The club will be shattered Toby Conway is unavailable. Reliably informed that he would have played last year had he not got injured / concussed late in the year playing VFL. The coach is a big fan.
In the very small sample size pre season last year, Toby was making Stanley look amateur with Toby’s ruck craft! That got everybody excited. No doubt he has the tools to be a very very good ruckman. The question was his tank at the AFL level and unfortunately we have never had a chance to answer that.

It is not out of the question that if he gets 10 games (even VFL) this year and a full pre season he could do a SDK on us and take over first ruck for 2024. Unusual for a 21yo in the ruck position but not impossible. But first he needs to get some serious continuity after he comes back around round 13

Ceglar only played 3 quarters in the seconds on Saturday. If he cannot run out a full game in the VFL how will he handle a full game in the AFL? Or was he injured?
I think it was pre planned and load management. He won’t play a full VFL game for the year just in case he is needed the following week in AFL (as has happened this week)

My Concern isn't Ceglar playing, played good last year when he played, the Suns game was putrid... my Concern is if Ceglar can stay fit until Stanley comes back
Agree. Don’t think he can do more than 60% ruck so Blitz will have to be slightly higher than he normally does (I think he was 30% average ruck time in 2022 but has been lower so far this year?).

And then we need lots of ICE And REST to get him from week to week…

Agree. Don’t think he can do more than 60% ruck so Blitz will have to be slightly higher than he normally does (I think he was 30% average ruck time in 2022 but has been lower so far this year?).

Pretty sure Blitz did a lot more than 30% last week.

Ceglar only played 3 quarters in the seconds on Saturday. If he cannot run out a full game in the VFL how will he handle a full game in the AFL? Or was he injured?

They load manage him in the vfl deliberately. Besides in the afl we will prob sub him off for a runner at 3/4 time and have blitz ruck the last qtr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Chawkts, we seem to have good minds as we think alike 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back