Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolo should give the game away another concussion again, both twins have had a lot,

Except been no confirmation that it was a concussion for Kolodjashnij - the club has advised JK was on the end of friendly fire and received a knock to the head, so maybe it was a precautionary decision to rest him after that. Not all head clashes result in concussion, and being a practice match there's no urgency for him to go back out there

Regardless, the club and JK would no doubt have his best interest with any decisions made and would be much more aware of all circumstances regarding his future - both on & off the field

Finally a little more comprehensive…

I suspect we will have a bunch of potential best 23 out first week…

“(Hawkins) had a really strong block of training last week and was involved in a lot of our main training session and was moving well,” Lloyd said.

“We will just see how he progresses over the next two weeks. We have said this all along and it applies to Mitch Duncan … we will do what is best for both Tom and Mitch and if it is round 1 it is round 1, and it is round 3 or round 2, so be it.”

Midfielder Sam Menegola was named in Geelong’s squad to face the Lions but didn’t play after feeling knee soreness following match simulation against Hawthorn a week earlier.

Menegola has battled through knee issues in recent years and will be assessed next week.

Utility Mark Blicavs also sat out the Lions game after a bout of gastro, while recruit Jack Bowes is working through some soreness.

“Jack Bowes travelled up with us to the Gold Coast and has some general body soreness at the moment so we decided not to play him,” Lloyd said.

Jeremy Cameron and Isaac Smith are fit and firing despite skipping the Lions loss, while young ruck Toby Conway (foot) and tall Shannon Neale (ankle) remain sidelined.

Knee soreness for menegola again is a bad sign.

Glad blitz bowes and smith are available R1.

Except been no confirmation that it was a concussion for Kolodjashnij - the club has advised JK was on the end of friendly fire and received a knock to the head, so maybe it was a precautionary decision to rest him after that. Not all head clashes result in concussion, and being a practice match there's no urgency for him to go back out there

Regardless, the club and JK would no doubt have his best interest with any decisions made and would be much more aware of all circumstances regarding his future - both on & off the field
Head clash with Lincoln McCarthy back of Linc's head straight under Kolo's chin he was groggy.

Head clash with Lincoln McCarthy back of Linc's head straight under Kolo's chin he was groggy.

That's not what's said in the match report though -

The Cats lost Jake Kolodjashnij to a head knock during the third quarter after he was on the end of some friendly fire.

The Cats lost Jake Kolodjashnij to a head knock during the third quarter after he was on the end of some friendly fire.
Then they have it wrong,unless they still consider McCarthy one of ours.:)

You're right about what the match report said. But the match report was wrong. And you pick one is right about what happened. They showed it on replay on the night - Lions player's head went back and hit him, he went to ground, then a couple of Cats crashed in over the top but they didn't make meaningful contact with Kolo. He went straight off after that.

It's a long season, hopefully 26 matches, and Sam is now a depth player anyway, but I think if he gets up, he'll get games at some stages.

Are you sure Menegola is seen as just a depth player? To me the jury is still out.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how that opinion can be formed and I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just think there’s a chance some of the decline in performance is related to injuries the last 12-18 months that are recoverable, and not Father Time catching up with him. I guess we will see.

Are you sure Menegola is seen as just a depth player? To me the jury is still out.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how that opinion can be formed and I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just think there’s a chance some of the decline in performance is related to injuries the last 12-18 months that are recoverable, and not Father Time catching up with him. I guess we will see.
Even if he isn't, I'm sure he'll get games.
And our coach loves him.

Not getting a clear run at it might end up being the biggest issue, though. The ongoing lack of continuity will really cost him if the team gets going and enough of the fringe players start to look promising. After all, a number of them will be directly considered for a similar role to the one he could otherwise play on the field.

If you watched the game you would have seen it, they showed replay and he was groggy, but you read match report but i go with what my eyes see

Not getting a clear run at it might end up being the biggest issue, though. The ongoing lack of continuity will really cost him if the team gets going and enough of the fringe players start to look promising. After all, a number of them will be directly considered for a similar role to the one he could otherwise play on the field.
Yeah, that’s a distinct possibility. I really don’t know how much work he’s got in this pre-season, how he pulled up, or how likely he is to stay fit beyond last year being a write off and him getting to that age.

I just figure last time he was properly fit he was still a good player.

Yeah, that’s a distinct possibility. I really don’t know how much work he’s got in this pre-season, how he pulled up, or how likely he is to stay fit beyond last year being a write off and him getting to that age.

Hes a gun but at 31 they will always go the younger player if its a line ball call. At his fittest i think he can be best 22 but if the knee isnt right it will be an uphill battle for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't entirely disagree. But even a fit and firing Mena is on the cusp for me now, based on the need to expose younger players for the medium term and the specific ability of other players to potentially match his running capacity and his general skill set.

Time will tell, of course.

If you watched the game you would have seen it, they showed replay and he was groggy, but you read match report but i go with what my eyes see

I watched the match & read the report - maybe there's something else that happened that wasn't shown

But regardless of the incident, not are why you are laughing at comments about concussion...

Finally a little more comprehensive…

I suspect we will have a bunch of potential best 23 out first week…

“(Hawkins) had a really strong block of training last week and was involved in a lot of our main training session and was moving well,” Lloyd said.

“We will just see how he progresses over the next two weeks. We have said this all along and it applies to Mitch Duncan … we will do what is best for both Tom and Mitch and if it is round 1 it is round 1, and it is round 3 or round 2, so be it.”

Midfielder Sam Menegola was named in Geelong’s squad to face the Lions but didn’t play after feeling knee soreness following match simulation against Hawthorn a week earlier.

Menegola has battled through knee issues in recent years and will be assessed next week.

Utility Mark Blicavs also sat out the Lions game after a bout of gastro, while recruit Jack Bowes is working through some soreness.

“Jack Bowes travelled up with us to the Gold Coast and has some general body soreness at the moment so we decided not to play him,” Lloyd said.

Jeremy Cameron and Isaac Smith are fit and firing despite skipping the Lions loss, while young ruck Toby Conway (foot) and tall Shannon Neale (ankle) remain sidelined.

What would've been the benefit of taking Bowes to Qld that surpassed the benefit of rest?

The idea of integration and building his sense of team?

I don't entirely disagree. But even a fit and firing Mena is on the cusp for me now, based on the need to expose younger players for the medium term and the specific ability of other players to potentially match his running capacity and his general skill set.

Time will tell, of course.
I still think Menagola offers more than Parfitt but now they both have Bruhn and Bowes up their clackers.

What would've been the benefit of taking Bowes to Qld that surpassed the benefit of rest?

The idea of integration and building his sense of team?
He's also been playing his footy on the Gold Coast for the past six years. So getting the chance to catch up with friends/family while he was here might have also been a factor. He actually hung around longer than the rest of the boys after open training to catch up with someone who I suspect was a local.

In the end, provided he's right to go for Round 1 (and perhaps even for the VFL practice match next weekend, if necessary), I'm fine with however they're managing him.

He's also been playing his footy on the Gold Coast for the past six years. So getting the chance to catch up with friends/family while he was here might have also been a factor. He actually hung around longer than the rest of the boys after open training to catch up with someone who I suspect was a local.

In the end, provided he's right to go for Round 1 (and perhaps even for the VFL practice match next weekend, if necessary), I'm fine with however they're managing him.

Fair enough. Hadn't considered the family and friends angle......

Was thinking more of the physical aspect.

Also great PR opportunity he'd be mixing with some of the Gold Coast boys I would presume and plugging the Cats as a great destination club.

I just know when I have 'general soreness' I struggle to get out of bed and put my socks on, let alone trudge through airport crowds and climb on and off planes and buses.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back